Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:24 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2748

Reputation Level: 0
05SmokeSE is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
Default Possible Bad Crankshaft Position Sensor

All,

2005 Maxima SE with about 84,000 miles on it. Engine runs great from idle to redline. (Recently had the timing chain guide$ and ten$ioner$ replaced.)

My problem is hard warm starts. When the engine is cold, it cranks for less than a second and immediately fires.

However, after driven and parked for a while with a hot engine, it cranks for a long time before starting, maybe even up to 5 or 10 seconds sometimes. That's a long time to crank before firing. It continues to crank fast until the engine finally fires. So, not a battery problem.

My thought on it is a crankshaft position sensor that is on its way out. I know from previous experience that when a CPS really goes bad it can actually shut down the engine in the middle of driving just like someone reached over and turned off the key. Sit for 10 or 15 minutes and the engine will start and run again. CPSs are extremely heat sensitive an that's what eventually kills them.

So, is this what's causing my hard starting with a warm engine? Or should I be looking at something else. If so, is it easy to replace the CPS?

My service manual seems to show it located under a metal cover that's bolted to the bottom of the tranny about where it bolts up to the engine. That's supposed to be the location for a Maxima with an automatic tranny. (For a manual tranny, looks like it's mounted more on the side of the tranny housing.)

Thanks for any advice!
05SmokeSE is offline   Send a private message to 05SmokeSE Find more posts by 05SmokeSE Add 05SmokeSE to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Possible Bad Crankshaft Position Sensor?

Originally Posted by 05SmokeSE View Post
All,

2005 Maxima SE with about 84,000 miles on it. Engine runs great from idle to redline. (Recently had the timing chain guide$ and ten$ioner$ replaced.)

My problem is hard warm starts. When the engine is cold, it cranks for less than a second and immediately fires.

However, after driven and parked for a while with a hot engine, it cranks for a long time before starting, maybe even up to 5 or 10 seconds sometimes. That's a long time to crank before firing. It continues to crank fast until the engine finally fires. So, not a battery problem.

My thought on it is a crankshaft position sensor that is on its way out. I know from previous experience that when a CPS really goes bad it can actually shut down the engine in the middle of driving just like someone reached over and turned off the key. Sit for 10 or 15 minutes and the engine will start and run again. CPSs are extremely heat sensitive an that's what eventually kills them.

So, is this what's causing my hard starting with a warm engine? Or should I be looking at something else. If so, is it easy to replace the CPS?

My service manual seems to show it located under a metal cover that's bolted to the bottom of the tranny about where it bolts up to the engine. That's supposed to be the location for a Maxima with an automatic tranny. (For a manual tranny, looks like it's mounted more on the side of the tranny housing.)

Thanks for any advice!
Your CMP (camshaft position sensors) are placed in each cylinder head. What you are describing is a CKP(crankshaft position sensors) Sounds like you need CMP replacements. Make sure you go dealer OEM, the info is all here if you need it on replacing and diagram.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2013, 10:34 AM   Thread Starter #3

Default Re: Possible Bad Crankshaft Position Sensor

Yes, I am referring to a CRANKSHAFT Position Sensor.

I know from experience that when those go bad they can actually shut off your engine while you're driving down the road. Without a good signal from the crankshaft position sensor, the ECU can't fire the spark plugs at the right time.

They go bad slowly over time from heat failure, and will give intermittent shut downs until they go completely bad and your engine will no longer start.

Questions:

What are the symptoms of a bad CAMSHAFT Position Sensor? Poor engine performance? Other? Can they actually prevent engine start if bad?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by 05SmokeSE; 11-07-2013 at 11:24 AM.
05SmokeSE is offline   Send a private message to 05SmokeSE Find more posts by 05SmokeSE Add 05SmokeSE to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Originally Posted by 05SmokeSE View Post
Yes, I am referring to a CRANKSHAFT Position Sensor.

I know from experience that when those go bad they can actually shut off your engine while you're driving down the road. Without a good signal from the crankshaft position sensor, the ECU can't fire the spark plugs at the right time.

They go bad slowly over time from heat failure, and will give intermittent shut downs until they go completely bad and your engine will no longer start.

Questions:

What are the symptoms of a bad CAMSHAFT Position Sensor? Poor engine performance? Other? Can they actually prevent engine start if bad?

Thanks for any help!
Camshaft and crankshaft sensors operate the same, deteriorate the same and both WILL prevent an engine start.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2013, 09:35 AM   Thread Starter #5

Originally Posted by BurntOrangeAppeal View Post
Camshaft and crankshaft sensors operate the same, deteriorate the same and both WILL prevent an engine start.
Thanks!

Guess I'll be checking all of them.