Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:40 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1503

Reputation Level: 0
j1186 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Passenger CV Joint Install

Hey guys, been having a popping noise coming from front passenger side. Checked the cv and the boot is split so it is shot. Does anyone know of or have a good step by step on installing the cv axle? Thanks.
j1186 is offline   Send a private message to j1186 Find more posts by j1186 Add j1186 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Passenger CV Joint Install

I'm pretty sure there is a thread around here on it. Can't remember where though, try searching or checking out useful info...

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
The Bandit

Official Member #: 15

Reputation Level: 23
K-Ryder will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

Visit K-Ryder's Facebook Visit K-Ryder's PS3 Profile Visit K-Ryder's YouTube

found this online hope it helps, same for all cars except the socket Im not sure what size it is for 6th gens.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you..._Nissan_Maxima
Click the image to open in full size. Answer

Just spent this weekend replacing the CV joint boot, which is basically the same steps as replacing the joint. - Before you begin, borrow (normally free) a CV Joint Puller/or transaxle puller from a local auto store. It should be the kind with the 5 lb sliding weight. Also, get a clamping tool, if the new boot with clamps are the type that need the clamping tool (about $5). You can save a lot of time by getting a 36mm socket for the wheel nut.
- Put on emergency brake (so car doesn't roll)
- Loosen the wheel lug nuts for the side you are going to replace.
- Jack that wheel up only, and remove tire (you need the other wheel grounded to give you leverage when you remove the main wheel nut).
- Remove wheel nut cotter pin.
- Remove nut cap.
- Remove wheel nut. This is difficult without the right size socket (36mm) because it has about 170lbs of torque. I used a large pair of vice grips and a hammer to remove it no problem. Needed socket on other side.
- Remove the washer.
- Now, jack up the other front side of the car, and put it on a stand. This takes all tension off the suspension which is VERY important.
- Remove the two bolts holding the brake assembly. Use a hanger to hang it from the spring out of the way. There is no reason to disassemble the brake unit unless you want to examine the condition.
- The rotor should slip off.
- Now, unattach the strut. Remove the two bolts holding the steering knuckle to the strut. Again, this takes a lot of force and you need to use a socket (or wrench) on one side to hold the bolt while you use a socket (19mm and 17mm) to take off the nut and bolt.
- Now, rotate the steering knuckle down and away from strut. You may need to loosen the brake line, if it restricts the steering knuckle.
- There should be just enough room to pull the CV joint out of the steering knuckle. If not, try pushing down on the knuckle as you slip the CV joint out.
- Remove old outer boot and clamps (if just replacing outer boot)
- Now the fun part. Attach the CV joint puller (or transaxle puller) to the end of the CV joint axle. Using the sliding weight, thrust it outward quickly while holding the transaxle. This "should" pop the CV joint off the transaxle. If not, keep trying. If you want to simply remove the entire transaxle, don't hold the axle and allow the puller to pull on the entire assembly from the transmission. I only needed to replace the boot, so separating the CV joint from the transaxle was all I needed.
- Clean CV joint using some type of degreaser/cleaner and allow to dry.
- Check for damage of course (i.e. metal filings, broken or heavily scarred bearings or gouges inside joint). If so, you need new joint.
- Repack clean CV joint.
- Put duct tape over threads on transaxle, and slide new boot onto transaxle. (don't forget the clamps as well) and remove duct tape.
- Put the main wheel nut back on the end of the CV Joint assembly, as you will be striking it with a mallet. Then align CV joint to transaxle end (which should have a C-clip at the end). Using some agility and making sure the transaxle, and CV joint are aligned and pressed toward the transmission (i.e. no play), use a heavy mallet and strike the CV joint back onto the transaxle. It took me about 10 strikes before it snapped back into position mainly because I allowed too much play and was not pushing towards the transmission so I was not getting a powerful strike with the mallet. Also, the joint has to slip past the little clip on the end of the transaxle.
- Align the boot into position, position clamps, and clamp it down with a clamping tool or screw-driver depending on the type of clamp.
- Slide newly booted CV joint end into steering knuckle.
- Rotate knuckle up into strut, align two holes and replace screws and nuts.
- Reattach rotor.
- Reattach brake assembly housing.
- Lower other side of car (again to give you friction when the main wheel nut goes back on.
- Reinstall washer and nut. Again, you should torque to specifications which is roughly 170-190 lbs.
- Reattach nut cap.
- Replace cotter pin (use new one if you have one)
- Reattach wheel
- Lower vehicle and test drive
K-Ryder is offline   Send a private message to K-Ryder Find more posts by K-Ryder Add K-Ryder to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

^^ I think your also forgetting there 3 ( 12mm ) bolts , the carrier bearing as Nissan calls it on the passenger side,
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
The Bandit

My Awards:

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post
^^ I think your also forgetting there 3 ( 12mm ) bolts , the carrier bearing as Nissan calls it on the passenger side,
I found it online through google search, so didnt really read through it.
K-Ryder is offline   Send a private message to K-Ryder Find more posts by K-Ryder Add K-Ryder to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by K-Ryder View Post
I found it online through google search, so didnt really read through it.
no worries, I wasnt going to read all that either LOL....

I guess short version,

Remove wheel , Parking brake and secure it and a jack stand,

Remove the cutter pin ( Save this )

Remove the 32mm bolt with a deep impact sock,

Remove the two lower bolts of the struts (17mm 19mm) wrenchs

Here is what I like to do, I like to put the 32 MM bolt and turn it a few until the face of the CV axle is flush with the 32mm bolt,
ONLY THEN you a HIT it with a metal heavy hammer and hit the center of the shaft to get it loose as soon as its budged , take the 32 but back off and you can swing the whole spindle/rotors to your right , you should be able to pull of the axle from the back of the spindle, ( reason I put the bolt back in is because sometimes you bang that area with a hammer and can bend the spilines, most Axles shop ask for your old one as core charges and well you wouldnt want a bad splines, not to mention it can damage your HUB if you dont put the 32mm nut on it, you have more area to hit at )

your going to need to *fonding* it until you can remove the splines from the hub.

after youve gotten out , your half way there , if you look closer near the old pan , there is a bracket that has 3 BOLTs, (3) 12mm screws bolt into the axles, once you got that out you should be able to pop the axles out and may or maynot leak tranny fluid/gear oil.

when you install the new alxe MAKE SURE VERY IMPORTANT that you hear a CLICK or THUMP, this means the axle is all the way inside, if YOU DONT HEAR IT your not going to have isues. so make sure you check that its all the way in!..

re-bolt the (3) 12mm
now carefully guide the end of the axle back into the hub, make sure you try to get the splines lined up , once your done , cuttor pin and drive the 32mm back in. I cant remember what LB of TQ you need, In this case I would just tighten with an air gun the 32 in.

re tighen the 17/19 mm from the strut.

well back on , woo ha

30 min job
$40-80 part (depending where your buying)
local mechanic shop fee $190
damn I wish I was a mechanic again

Last edited by NiZMo1o1; 02-06-2011 at 10:15 PM.
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2011, 02:42 AM   #7
The Bandit

My Awards:

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post
no worries, I wasnt going to read all that either LOL....

I guess short version,

Remove wheel , Parking brake and secure it and a jack stand,

Remove the cutter pin ( Save this )

Remove the 32mm bolt with a deep impact sock,

Remove the two lower bolts of the struts (17mm 19mm) wrenchs

Here is what I like to do, I like to put the 32 MM bolt and turn it a few until the face of the CV axle is flush with the 32mm bolt,
ONLY THEN you a HIT it with a metal heavy hammer and hit the center of the shaft to get it loose as soon as its budged , take the 32 but back off and you can swing the whole spindle/rotors to your right , you should be able to pull of the axle from the back of the spindle, ( reason I put the bolt back in is because sometimes you bang that area with a hammer and can bend the spilines, most Axles shop ask for your old one as core charges and well you wouldnt want a bad splines, not to mention it can damage your HUB if you dont put the 32mm nut on it, you have more area to hit at )

your going to need to *fonding* it until you can remove the splines from the hub.

after youve gotten out , your half way there , if you look closer near the old pan , there is a bracket that has 3 BOLTs, (3) 12mm screws bolt into the axles, once you got that out you should be able to pop the axles out and may or maynot leak tranny fluid/gear oil.

when you install the new alxe MAKE SURE VERY IMPORTANT that you hear a CLICK or THUMP, this means the axle is all the way inside, if YOU DONT HEAR IT your not going to have isues. so make sure you check that its all the way in!..

re-bolt the (3) 12mm
now carefully guide the end of the axle back into the hub, make sure you try to get the splines lined up , once your done , cuttor pin and drive the 32mm back in. I cant remember what LB of TQ you need, In this case I would just tighten with an air gun the 32 in.

re tighen the 17/19 mm from the strut.

well back on , woo ha

30 min job
$40-80 part (depending where your buying)
local mechanic shop fee $190
damn I wish I was a mechanic again
Actually use a new cotter pin. Never use the old one. And the 32mm goes on before the cotter pin or else its going to strip the threads inside the 32mm bolt and you'll be in more trouble.

Last edited by K-Ryder; 02-07-2011 at 02:48 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:39 PM   Thread Starter #8

Official Member #: 1503

Reputation Level: 0
j1186 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I was using a 1 1/4" socket that seemed to fit perfect but I couldn't budge that nut, so I found that post that recommended the 36mm and it was way too big. I put pb blaster on it and jumped up and down on a torque wrench connected and it did nothing! Got fed up with it and took it yesterday to a shop I've used alot and they only charged me $79 to do it. I still hear a popping noise coming from that side though. Endlink? or Ball joint?
j1186 is offline   Send a private message to j1186 Find more posts by j1186 Add j1186 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #9
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

Jack up that corner of the car. Grab the wheel at 12 and 6, and try to "wiggle" the wheel/tire. If you have play there, then you need a ball joint.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
The Bandit

My Awards:

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
Jack up that corner of the car. Grab the wheel at 12 and 6, and try to "wiggle" the wheel/tire. If you have play there, then you need a ball joint.
To add on grab the wheel 9 to 3 wiggle if any play could be a outer tie rod or inner tie rod.
Also check the lower control arms for any bad bushing, if so replace the lower control arm.
Check your front swaybar bushings, endlinks, etc. Check your whole front end. Inspect it thoroughly. Make sure your bushings and all your steering & suspension components are fine and intact.