Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:35 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1646

Reputation Level: 11
emilbadal is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default P0507 Fixed

Hey guys,

in this thread I want to share my account of high idle code after Cleaning throttle body Yessss....I did one of the biggest NO NO to my car, And I paid the consequences but finally I found a way to correct the high idle problem.

So let's begin with me saying that I took out the MAF sensor and soaked it with MAF cleaner and also sprayed the throttle valve with throttle body cleaner, I asked my dad to turn the switch on and off so that I could peek what's going on behind the butterfly valve....It was scary....It wasn't just carbon build up....it was carbon GREASE build up!!! So...I did what I had to do and took the throttle body off of the intake by unscrewing four 5mm allen bolts.unplugged it from the car and started cleaning it. I put everything back and started the engine...It didn't want to start....I gave it a little gas it turned on with high RPM and immediately something tripped a code. at first the code was something regarding the air temperature, so I reset the dtc and waited for the car to warm up hoping that the idle would just drop...the car idled at operating temperature at around 1500 rpm. I did what I used to do to my other car and turned it off and shuffled the switch between ON and OFF for five times each time waiting for the butterfly valve to reset its position. I managed to bring the idle down to 1100 rpm but not less than that. So I tried to relearn the idle by using the procedure according to manual and the result was reverse....The idle went back up to 1750 and didn't come down at all and after 20 sec the rpm started to fluctuate between 2000 and 1500 rpm....Let me cut to the chase, long story short , the relearn didn't work and according to the threads that I read here on the forum it was because the idle was too high so the ecu wouldn't accept the relearn.

After fondling with the car for about 3-4 hours, I decided to do a sort of radical move which fixed the issue right away:

1- I took off both terminals of my battery
2- I switched on the headlights, dome lights, push the horn turned the windshield wiper switch to ON to make sure there is no energized circuit in the car.
3- I took off the piece of rubber tube that connect the throttle to air filter box
4- Unplugged the throttle body connector
5- I took a rag(because the butterfly valve was too hot) and started to open it manually to Wide-Open position and let it snap back into its closed position a couple of times and I even forced the valve a couple of times to close the ultimate throttle body closed position
6- I put everything back on, connected the battery
7- REMEMBER THIS IS IMPORTANT, ECU at this point is being RESET, therefore, it doesn't have any records of high idle so it is forced to accept the relearn "NOW IS THE TIME TO DO THE FOLLOWING PROCEDUREs"

FIRST
Accelerator pedal released position learn:
1-Turn the ignition ON for 2 seconds, and then turn it OFF and wait for 10 seconds.
Repeat step 1 for three times.

SECOND
Idle relearn Procedure

1-Turn the ignition ON for 3 seconds
2-Push the gas pedal to the floor and release it for 5 times with in 5 Seconds(Quickly)
3-Wait for 7 seconds
4-push the gas pedal to the floor and wait for approximately 20 seconds until the CEL stops blinking(within this 20 seconds the CEL will start blinking(WITH DIFFERENT PATERNS) at first and then it will stop blinking)
5-Once the CEL stopped blinking release the gas pedal completely and start the engine IMMEDIATELY.
DONE

once I started the car the rpm raised up to 1300rpm and dropped rock solid on 700rpm. I'm releived, I hope this will help you guys.

I don't believe in changing the throttle body as a fix because of this code unless it's burned up and it's not functioning at all. The ECU on our cars are designed to learn as you drive and adapt to new situations .So as the carbon is building up in the throttle body, ECU slowly starts to compensate and keep the butterfly valve cranked enough to keep the idle within the specific range. When you clean it up, the ECU still has that preconception that there is still build up and memorized the best angle to the butterfly valve therefore the rpm raises up because the build up gap that you cleaned is wider than before. All we need to do is to get it to learn the new idle position. It's almost an ECU programming flaw that it won't learn the IAVL(Idle air volume learn) if the rpm is too high.

Comments

Nice High Idle fix write up
Apollos2 (04-01-2014), Costee (03-30-2014), EddyMaxx (04-01-2014), Hmax (03-30-2014), JGWoolfolk (04-01-2014), Latinmaxima (03-30-2014), maxima1 (04-03-2016), shredda (04-01-2014), sprocketser (03-30-2014)
emilbadal is offline   Send a private message to emilbadal Find more posts by emilbadal Add emilbadal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2014, 07:36 AM   #2

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default Re: P0507 Fixed

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
Official Member

Official Member #: 2035

Reputation Level: 10
Costee is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

I'll sure keep this in my files.
Costee is offline   Send a private message to Costee Find more posts by Costee Add Costee to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

Reputation Level: 11
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Put this on my favs .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #5

Official Member #: 7240

Reputation Level: 7
JGWoolfolk is an unknown quantity at this point

outstanding...
emilbadal (04-02-2014)
JGWoolfolk is offline   Send a private message to JGWoolfolk Find more posts by JGWoolfolk Add JGWoolfolk to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
Mile High Maxima

Official Member #: 510

Reputation Level: 33
Apollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Nice write up. Thanks!

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
emilbadal (04-02-2014)
Apollos2 is offline   Send a private message to Apollos2 Find more posts by Apollos2 Add Apollos2 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2014, 09:10 PM   #7

Official Member #: 15232

Reputation Level: 0
Peanut5406 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a million. I sprayed every where trying to find a leak in my system.
Peanut5406 is offline   Send a private message to Peanut5406 Find more posts by Peanut5406 Add Peanut5406 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top