Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:27 PM   Thread Starter #1
The Go To Guy
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 59

Reputation Level: 27
Mr DoLLa has a spectacular aura aboutMr DoLLa has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Banner of The Month  

Default P0300 (Multiple Cyl. Misfire) Issues

So I've been working on a 04 6spd Max for a member (@Surren). I'm only getting code P0300. Coil packs were changed along with spark plugs from another shop. I checked for vacuum leaks, installed new intake gaskets, cleaned the MAF also check fuel pressure, which is low at 40-45 psi, spec is approx. 51psi. Did a performance test on all injectors and are working properly. Tested resistance on A/F sensors, one reads 5 ohms (B2) other reads 4 ohms, compression tests show all cylinders to be within spec (170 each). Today I found the Y-pipe to be clogged up with debris from the catalytic. Once I cleaned that up and clear the Y-pipe I got all the power back from the engine and she ran great. I'm stumped and feeling defeated. Lol. Open for suggestions!! Not sure if its the fuel pump because pressure is low but I dont wanna throw parts at it and be wrong, jus not my way of working plus not my money.

Last edited by Mr DoLLa; 05-01-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Mr DoLLa is offline   Send a private message to Mr DoLLa Find more posts by Mr DoLLa Add Mr DoLLa to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 34
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: P0300 (Multiple Cyl. Misfire) Issues

Too possibilities here :

1. your piston rings are seizing and can't move freely while under load because of the catalytic material in the rings....while the engine is running.gopen oil fill cap...I bet you will see a lot of blowby as well as the dipstick....

2.Check your Egr... Egr stuckopen or seizing will throw a Po300 multiple missfire code.its plugged with all the catalytic material...before you go and unbolt it, just bypass the Egr by plugging behind the flange where it bolts to the intake. She should run a better...unless its the rings..

Sometimes to free up the rings kind of an option is to run ATF through the engine for 15 min or so then drain and fill with oil...ATF has a lot of detergent properties in it....you might want to do that a couple times....

Same thing happened to my motor..04 6Mt
The damage was too extensive though. I did a motor swap after all.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
Official Member

Official Member #: 4702

Reputation Level: 8
Surren is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the feedback bro! ^^
Good Looking out on the threat Mr. $
BurntOrangeAppeal (04-30-2012)
Surren is offline   Send a private message to Surren Find more posts by Surren Add Surren to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2012, 08:05 AM   Thread Starter #4
The Go To Guy

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Danski, the car is running great but jus before the light pops up, u feel the hesitation and the shake. Your saying to plug the intake where the egr pipe goes? Would the seized piston rings make a noise? I appreciate the help.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
Burnt Orange

BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Yea, plug it at the intake...piston rings being stuck will show themselves by smoke coming out of the exhaust under throttle application. What kind of noise are you experiencing?
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
Official Member

Official Member #: 3022

Reputation Level: 21
05vk56 will become famous soon enough05vk56 will become famous soon enough

If you had a seized piston ring, you would feel the motor shake real bad, and it would not start up strong like you are saying, and then go into hesitation, it would run as if a coil pack was gone or missing a plug. Make sure the plugs that were put in are in fact the correct ones, as Danski said, plug the EGR at the intake, and see if it still does the same symptoms. To get the P0300 code, you already know it is a multiple cylinder misfire issue, so double check everything, for intake air leaks, even the pcv valve. Since you are stating that the fuel pressure is low, I am guessing that that might be the problem. Give me a call, and I will connect cipher to it and we can check the parameter while it is running, and probably do a log and compare the numbers.
05vk56 is offline   Send a private message to 05vk56 Find more posts by 05vk56 Add 05vk56 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2012, 10:00 AM   Thread Starter #7
The Go To Guy

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Originally Posted by Danski6MT View Post
Yea, plug it at the intake...piston rings being stuck will show themselves by smoke coming out of the exhaust under throttle application. What kind of noise are you experiencing?
OK. No smoke or any noise out of the ordinary. The car runs strong since clearing the y pipe. I'll try that egr thing today.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:06 AM   Thread Starter #8
The Go To Guy

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Originally Posted by 05vk56 View Post
If you had a seized piston ring, you would feel the motor shake real bad, and it would not start up strong like you are saying, and then go into hesitation, it would run as if a coil pack was gone or missing a plug. Make sure the plugs that were put in are in fact the correct ones, as Danski said, plug the EGR at the intake, and see if it still does the same symptoms. To get the P0300 code, you already know it is a multiple cylinder misfire issue, so double check everything, for intake air leaks, even the pcv valve. Since you are stating that the fuel pressure is low, I am guessing that that might be the problem. Give me a call, and I will connect cipher to it and we can check the parameter while it is running, and probably do a log and compare the numbers.
I ran a log (freeze frame data) using Consult II. A/F B1 show around 1.55v but A/F B2 shows around 1.20v. O2 B1 reads around .90v and O2 B2 is completely dead reading .02 with no fluctuation at all. I'm very confident with doing my test and Freeze Frame Data from Consult II that the issue is in Bank 2. I'm going to replace Catalytic and sensors because it needs it due to them being broken down but I have a hunch it may be the issue.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
Burnt Orange

Originally Posted by Mr DoLLa View Post
I ran a log (freeze frame data) using Consult II. A/F B1 show around 1.55v but A/F B2 shows around 1.20v. O2 B1 reads around .90v and O2 B2 is completely dead reading .02 with no fluctuation at all. I'm very confident with doing my test and Freeze Frame Data from Consult II that the issue is in Bank 2. I'm going to replace Catalytic and sensors because it needs it due to them being broken down but I have a hunch it may be the issue.
That's a good start. Your bank 2 is showing lean...as they should be in the range of 1.3-1.6V fluctuation....this could be ineither due to the fact that the a/f sensor is going bad or injectors(although you tested injectors....hopeful its just the sensor....Also make sure you reset the ECM either through consult or manually when you change the primary a/f on bank 2.
Your rear HO2s1 and HO2s2 have nothing to do with performance as they are there to monitor catalytic efficiency...good to replace them but those have nothing to do with P300 code....as they are for emission police purposes...wink wink
Keep us updated.
-=My Build Tread=-

Last edited by BurntOrangeAppeal; 05-02-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:56 PM   Thread Starter #10
The Go To Guy

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Update! Replaced cats and sensors and problem solved. Catalytic was in pieces and sensors were malfunctioning. @Surren is loving the drive right now. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Reputation Level: 20
Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

You gotta love the org

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #12
Burnt Orange

Nice!
-=My Build Tread=-
Old 05-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #13
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 1598

Reputation Level: 21
smittybizzle will become famous soon enough

That's good news, who needs Nissan when you have My6thgen.org .
smittybizzle is offline   Send a private message to smittybizzle Find more posts by smittybizzle Add smittybizzle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
Official Member

Official Member #: 4702

Reputation Level: 8
Surren is an unknown quantity at this point

Finally!!! I get to feel what the hype behind the VQ 6spd is all about!

Shoutout to Mr. Dolla for all the hard work and patience!
Surren is offline   Send a private message to Surren Find more posts by Surren Add Surren to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #15

Official Member #: 1339

Reputation Level: 0
RalphMaxima04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

I dont have a Cat and im having the same problem
RalphMaxima04 is offline   Send a private message to RalphMaxima04 Find more posts by RalphMaxima04 Add RalphMaxima04 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #16
Burnt Orange

Originally Posted by RalphMaxima04 View Post
I dont have a Cat and im having the same problem
How knowledgeable are you with cars, and if so, what have you done so far?
Also, are you running headers or gutted cats?
-=My Build Tread=-
Old 08-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #17

I'm very knowledgeable with cars, so far i have changed the gaskets cuz they were bad and spark plugs also, i'm finishing the rear part today gotta take off manifold, furthermore my dad is a certified mechanic,and i'm running stock headers and y pipe but with full cat back exhaust.?? inaddition i was also getting code P0021 hope it can help @Danski6MT
RalphMaxima04 is offline   Send a private message to RalphMaxima04 Find more posts by RalphMaxima04 Add RalphMaxima04 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #18
Burnt Orange

I'm very knowledgeable with cars, so far i have changed the gaskets cuz they were bad and spark plugs also, i'm finishing the rear part today gotta take off manifold, furthermore my dad is a certified mechanic,and i'm running stock headers and y pipe but with full cat back exhaust.?? inaddition i was also getting code P0021 hope it can help @Danski6MT
P0021 is a code for IVT solenoid for bank 2. (bank on radiator side) this explains your missfire. Your ECM has no idea of the relation of the intake cam on bank 2.
This could also be related to your cam position sensor. What I would do first is swap cam position sensors from bank 1 to bank 2. Clear DTC and start the engine. If a DTC P0011 gets set (IVT solenoid for bank 1) then you have a bad cam position sensor. Replace the sensor with genuine Nissan sensor. If same code gets triggered P0021 then its most likely IVT solenoid.
Also, make sure you visually inspect the end of the cams with a mirror and a flashlight through the sensor hole once you remove the cam sensors. Sometimes you might have debris in the cam phase wheel sending a misleading cam phase input to ECM.
-=My Build Tread=-
Old 08-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #19

P0021 is a code for IVT solenoid for bank 2. (bank on radiator side) this explains your missfire. Your ECM has no idea of the relation of the intake cam on bank 2.
This could also be related to your cam position sensor. What I would do first is swap cam position sensors from bank 1 to bank 2. Clear DTC and start the engine. If a DTC P0011 gets set (IVT solenoid for bank 1) then you have a bad cam position sensor. Replace the sensor with genuine Nissan sensor. If same code gets triggered P0021 then its most likely IVT solenoid.
Also, make sure you visually inspect the end of the cams with a mirror and a flashlight through the sensor hole once you remove the cam sensors. Sometimes you might have debris in the cam phase wheel sending a misleading cam phase input to ECM.
gonna try it right now ill keep you posted thanks!
BurntOrangeAppeal (08-04-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #20

SO!! i went and did what you said, but the Cam shaft senor arent the same, so i took them out and cleaned them checked everything while i had the valve covers off.everything was clean no debis, put everything back and i still gives me the code now i got a NEW one P0403 FML any Nissan mechanics in MIAMI???
Old 08-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #21
Burnt Orange

SO!! i went and did what you said, but the Cam shaft senor arent the same, so i took them out and cleaned them checked everything while i had the valve covers off.everything was clean no debis, put everything back and i still gives me the code now i got a NEW one P0403 FML any Nissan mechanics in MIAMI???
The difference between the sensors should be the locations of the plugs. One tab plugs in straight and one plugs in at a 90 degree. Sensors are both (Phase) and work of the same values. Are you saying you were not able to plug them in...?
Here is the pic:

Your code P0403 is for your EGR. >>This could also be a reason for a missfire if the egr is stuck open...... You could bypass the egr (right at the intake) by placing a piece of metal ( a piece of coke can) that you cut out with scizzors as if you were making a gasket but instead it would restrict flow from your intake.

Another thing Iam a little confused about is the fact where you stated you are running stock headers but you dont have a cat.....? care to explain this a little bit more?
-=My Build Tread=-

Last edited by BurntOrangeAppeal; 08-05-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #22

The difference between the sensors should be the locations of the plugs. One tab plugs in straight and one plugs in at a 90 degree. Sensors are both (Phase) and work of the same values. Are you saying you were not able to plug them in...?
Here is the pic:

Your code P0403 is for your EGR. >>This could also be a reason for a missfire if the egr is stuck open...... You could bypass the egr (right at the intake) by placing a piece of metal ( a piece of coke can) that you cut out with scizzors as if you were making a gasket but instead it would restrict flow from your intake.

Another thing Iam a little confused about is the fact where you stated you are running stock headers but you dont have a cat.....? care to explain this a little bit more?
I fixed Code P0430, Clip is messed up (tyraped it meanwhile and now the only code i have is P0021 so Im just gonna buy both sensors