Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:28 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 837

Reputation Level: 9
Southernmax is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Overheating On Long Drives Still

I took my Car to Nissan today , still suffering from the overheating issue on long drives. This is the second day theyve had it. They say they cant get it to overheat so they cant fix it. The coolant is building in the overflow tank and does not come back out.

Replaced

Radiator
Upper Hose
Lower Hose
ECT Sensor
Thermostat
Radiator Cap

Flushed Radiator (burped as well)

Also Im getting a sweet smell (coolant) inside of the car.

Ive heard of a hose rusting out on Maximas but all of mine APPEAR to be fine.
Has anyone else had overheating issues lately. This ish is getting on my nerves

Last edited by Southernmax; 11-21-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Southernmax is offline   Send a private message to Southernmax Find more posts by Southernmax Add Southernmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Overheating On Long Drives Still

Originally Posted by Southernmax View Post
I took my Car to Nissan today , still suffering from the overheating issue on long drives. This is the second day theyve had it. They say they cant get it to overheat so they cant fix it. The coolant is building in the overflow tank and does not come back out.

Replaced

Radiator
Upper Hose
Lower Hose
ECT Sensor
Thermostat
Radiator Cap

Flushed Radiator (burped as well)

Also Im getting a sweet smell (coolant) inside of the car.

Ive heard of a hose rusting out on Maximas but all of mine APPEAR to be fine.
Has anyone else had overheating issues lately. This ish is getting on my nerves
Id start by pressurising the cooling system. This will let you know if you ha e a leak. The most common to have a coolant smell inside the vehicle is if your heater core is leaking....often times you will get your windshield fogging as an indicator of this symptom.
You could also have a head gasket problem but more diagnosis is needed.

If the pressure drops on the gauge while your system is pressurized and you can't visualy spot a leak outside and inside the vehicle you need to eliminate the heater core. Plug the inlet hose and outlet heater core hoses and pressurize the cooling system again with the heater core bypassed. If the pressure drops then chances are you have a head gasket leaking and coolant is going into your cylinder/s
At this point you need to do a compression check as well as a leakdown test.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2012, 10:59 PM   Thread Starter #3
Official Member

@BurntOrangeAppeal

Im pretty much leaning toward the headgasket having a very tiny leak. I roasted the service Rep so bad for not relaying my messages to the mechanic that i dint have to pay, but did get to do a one on one with the mechanic before i left. He stated that the
V6's unlike the 4 cylinders would not show leaks as easily when pressurizing, and sometimes would take from 2 to 3 days to show coolant in cylinders under pressure

BUT

ive read about other vehicles having an engine oil cooler that leaks ( the part between the motor and the oilfilter) and pressurizing the system. Im going to definitely check that this week if that fails i will attempt to retorque the heads. If that fails then new Motor it is.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:37 PM   Thread Starter #4
Official Member

@BurntOrangeAppeal

You wont believe this.
Last weekend i attempted to retorque the head bolts. I ve read on other forums (mustang audi) that it can work for minor headgasket leaks. After removing the Valve Cover we (me and dad) found that the cams sit right ontop of the bolts, and theres no way we could have gotten to them.

Dad (helicopter mechanic) suggested that we at least change the spark plugs.

So i purchased six cheap autolite 4.99 plugs from autozone with platinum tip

The interesting part is that my OEM plugs that i have never changed and im currently at 200 plus miles were burnt all the way down to the bottom (still clean) but burnt all the way down literally to inside of the plug. Stock gap is like .44mm. Imagine an inch of Gap. Dad said he couldnt understand how it was still cranking. (and running smooth i might add)(id even taken the car to Nissan to get them changed at 120k and they said for what its running fine)

We only replaced four of them since i was disappointed in not being able to torque the head bolts. and didnt feel like taking off the intake since it was evident that i was just going to buy another motor.

I drove home from Jackson MS a 3hour trip from Dads with my usual stop halfway to release the pressure from radiator and let the coolant out of the reservoir .

That night it was late when i arrived home and didnt feel like checking the fluid so i just put it off to in the morning , and didnt get to check it to that evening before i left work

There was no pressure and the coolant level is where it was supposed to be. WTF

Was it the plugs all along or did GOD just decide to give me a break. I did a five hour trip yesterday to Greenville MS and back and without checking fluid but watching temperature hand and no problems.

I Plan to replace all the plugs with the NGK and coilpacks as well now.

I only run Premium in the car is that why it still cranked

Please give me some feed back.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 1598

Reputation Level: 21
smittybizzle will become famous soon enough

Well glad it's fixed.
smittybizzle is offline   Send a private message to smittybizzle Find more posts by smittybizzle Add smittybizzle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

If you are smelling antifreeze in the car, I'm leaning towards heater core....although, I've not heard of many heater core issues with these cars...