Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:21 AM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 250

Reputation Level: 9
Rohanmax14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Overheating on the highway after 30 minutes of driving

Hello everyone,

2004 Nissan Maxima 103,000 miles and transmission 180,000 miles. No CEL is on.

The car overheat in the long drive on the highway after 30 minutes and I see temperature gauge going up barely not all the way. If I let the car running at idle for 30-60 minutes then I do not see temperature gauge rising at all only while driving on the highway. Yes, I did check the coolant and it not leaking, but during the winter time I do not have the heat working in the car.
Forgot to mention that both fans are working with air on or off position.

Things I did today was drain radiator and refill with garden water and still no heat air coming out from the air vent.

Any help?
Rohanmax14 is offline   Send a private message to Rohanmax14 Find more posts by Rohanmax14 Add Rohanmax14 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2015, 12:30 AM   #2

Official Member #: 6274

Reputation Level: 8
O.G.Nat-tral is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit O.G.Nat-tral's PS3 Profile Visit O.G.Nat-tral's Twitter Visit O.G.Nat-tral's YouTube
Default Re: Overheating on the highway after 30 minutes of driving

Hello there, you'll have to purge the cooling system.. The reason your car is over heating is bc the heater core is over heating.. Do you hear a swishing sound when you start the car or pull off..? If so you'll need to get the air out of your system..

This should help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4Z25Jp3Ixc

Abused VQ
O.G.Nat-tral is offline   Send a private message to O.G.Nat-tral Find more posts by O.G.Nat-tral Add O.G.Nat-tral to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2015, 01:25 AM   Thread Starter #3
Official Member

I did check out that video on YouTube before I did the work today on my car but I did bleed the air out but still I don't get no heat. I'm doing drain again tommor to flush out the water and put 50/50 antifreeze.
Rohanmax14 is offline   Send a private message to Rohanmax14 Find more posts by Rohanmax14 Add Rohanmax14 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2015, 06:52 AM   #4
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

Reputation Level: 11
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Might be the heather core as OG said &/or the cab filter too . How bout the thermostate ! is it good also .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2015, 12:47 PM   Thread Starter #5
Official Member

Anyone know how to flush the heater core and where's located? If the thermostat is bad won't I get the check engine light on? Picture would be great for showing me where's heater core located at.

Last edited by Rohanmax14; 06-09-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #6
Reputable Member

Usually the heather core is in the firewall passenger side . I would check on Courtesy Nissan Parts Online , some times they have some diagrams .

As for the thermostat , do know it for sure on this model , someone can chim in & tell .

http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...2691_2694.html

http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...2705_2720.html

I would call the service department , they might help you .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,

Last edited by sprocketser; 06-09-2015 at 05:00 PM.
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2015, 11:00 AM   Thread Starter #7
Official Member

I know where is thermostat located. I do not know where's two hoses for heater core is located. Is it inside the cabin or inside the engine firewall?
Old 06-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #8
Reputable Member

Must be inside cab , Check where the hoses go from either radiator or at firewall on passenger side .
Old 06-11-2015, 09:57 PM   Thread Starter #9
Official Member

Can someone give me the link for factory service manual?
Old 06-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #10
Reputable Member

What year & model .
Old 06-13-2015, 07:26 PM   #11
Reputable Member

Guess this link can be of help to you : http://diyservicemanuals.com/nissan-...epair-manuals/
Rohanmax14 (06-16-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 04:34 PM   Thread Starter #12
Official Member

I haven't done anything yet but I see grease all over the thermostat. Can this be front blown head gasket?
Old 07-03-2015, 01:03 PM   #13

Official Member #: 5515

Reputation Level: 0
SrRuizolivas is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe the thermostat is done, you might want to change it to see if it works again, for the heather core, the core itself its inside the firewall, there are two hoses going through it, are easy to locate, the only two hoses going through, you might want to check too if the core its clogged you can try to flush it with a garden hose https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD2LGkUycQg this its a video on how to.

Good luck.
SrRuizolivas is offline   Send a private message to SrRuizolivas Find more posts by SrRuizolivas Add SrRuizolivas to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2015, 01:07 PM   #14
Reputable Member

If there s grease over at the thermostat , it can also be the valva cover gasket as well .