Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:15 PM   Thread Starter #1
East LA's Official 6th Gen Maxima
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 206

Reputation Level: 15
georgelv1999 is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Only Half Successful With Belt Change

Well, I got my belts in the mail, ordered them from rockauto. I ordered both belts and decided to change them yesterday, since I got out of work early. I got the first belt off with no big deal. I used a swivel extention to loosen the adjuster nut. Then I went to take the PS belt off and I couldn't. I got the adjuster nuts loose but I couldn't get the back bolt off. I took off the wrong bolt at first (of course I busted my pinky doing the wrong bolt). Anyways, I couldn't get the PS belt off, but it didn't look bad. The AC belt had a ton of cracks but the PS one didn't look bad at all. I just hate that I couldn't get that other belt off, and that I think I almost broke my pinky doing the wrong bolt. You guys thing it should be ok that I didn't change the PS belt?
georgelv1999 is offline   Send a private message to georgelv1999 Find more posts by georgelv1999 Add georgelv1999 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
The Go To Guy

Official Member #: 59

Reputation Level: 27
Mr DoLLa has a spectacular aura aboutMr DoLLa has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Banner of The Month  

Default Re: Only half successful

The PS is reversed. U have to use ur rachet on tighten to loosen the tension after u loosened the pulley bolt. For the amount that its worth, jus change both while ur there.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Reputation Level: 20
Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Default Re: Only Half Successful

Shoulda taken it to the m e c h a n i c

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2010, 01:54 PM   Thread Starter #4

Dolla, I was tightening it, and it was tightening the belt even more, I think it was pulling the pulley up, which meant it was tightening it. How did you get that back bolt off?I just left it alone after I figured I couldn't do it. I didn't want to rip the belt off either cuz then I would've been screwed.

DB, nah man, if I "think" i can do it then I will try it.
georgelv1999 is offline   Send a private message to georgelv1999 Find more posts by georgelv1999 Add georgelv1999 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
The Go To Guy

Official Member #: 59

Reputation Level: 27
Mr DoLLa has a spectacular aura aboutMr DoLLa has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

When u tighten the screw on the P/S it bring the pulley closer towards the crank pulley n loosing the belt. If it didnt do that then maybe u were turning the wrong bolt (lefty loosey n righty tighty). Did u use any type of penetrating oil?
Old 12-11-2010, 03:37 AM   #6
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Had the same dilemma a few weeks ago when i attempted to change the power steering belt while installing a 250amp alternator. I could not get the engine side bolt loose on the back side of the power steering pump for the life of me. Just couldn't get the leverage needed to break the bolt free. Thankfully no busted knuckles or fingers happened. Pisses me off bad when that happens. Threw a wrench at my garage door, that is fiberglass, and it went right through.

If the belt is in good shape there is no harm in not changing it. I plan on leaving mine on there but checking on it every so often when i change the oil. When it needs to be replaced I'm gonna take it to the dealership and let them deal with it.

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2010, 06:43 AM   #7
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

I had some minor belt squealing that would occur whenever I first turned on the AC, and would go away within about 10 seconds or so. My last oil change, I decided to tighten up the belts. It took me longer to figure out what needed to be loosened to make the adjustment than it did to actually make the adjustment.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:31 AM   Thread Starter #8

Originally Posted by Mr DoLLa View Post
When u tighten the screw on the P/S it bring the pulley closer towards the crank pulley n loosing the belt. If it didnt do that then maybe u were turning the wrong bolt (lefty loosey n righty tighty). Did u use any type of penetrating oil?
I was turning it the right way, I had a ratchet and triple checked it, but it wasn't moving since the back bolt wasn't loose. I'll leave it for now, and mayve in a couple of months take it to the mechanic.

DAlastDON, yeah I think the worst part was busting my finger. My pinky is still a little swollen. The leverage on the back bolt is horrible. I have those ratchet wrenches and even like that I couldn't find the right spot to push the wrench. There's hardly any space there to move.

Don, were you able to loosen that back bolt? If so, how?
Old 12-11-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by georgelv1999 View Post
I was turning it the right way, I had a ratchet and triple checked it, but it wasn't moving since the back bolt wasn't loose. I'll leave it for now, and mayve in a couple of months take it to the mechanic.

DAlastDON, yeah I think the worst part was busting my finger. My pinky is still a little swollen. The leverage on the back bolt is horrible. I have those ratchet wrenches and even like that I couldn't find the right spot to push the wrench. There's hardly any space there to move.

Don, were you able to loosen that back bolt? If so, how?
I'm afraid I'm not going to be a whole lot more help on this. I was able to get both belts adjusted. I remember that it took me quite a while to figure out what I needed to do to get the pulleys to move, but once I got it figured out it was pretty easy to get them adjusted.

I pretty much used this guide:
How to Replace Your Drive Belts

I pulled my passenger side fender apron so I could get a better look at things.

Last edited by 1hawaii50; 12-11-2010 at 04:41 PM.
1hawaii50 is offline   Send a private message to 1hawaii50 Find more posts by 1hawaii50 Add 1hawaii50 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2010, 07:13 PM   Thread Starter #10

I couldnt turn the damn bolt. I want to give it another go at it, but I'm sure I'm not going to get much further then what to last time. Oh well, I'll just keep an eye on it to make sure it don't snap or anything.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #11
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Which bolt are you stuck on? Look at the diagram in the link I posted, and tell me which number bolt it is.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:27 AM   #12
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
Which bolt are you stuck on? Look at the diagram in the link I posted, and tell me which number bolt it is.
I think its gonna be "D". Were you actually able to get that one loose? I tried penetrating spray and tightening before loosening with no luck. I put enough brute force on it that I'm sure that if i had been using a 12pt closed end wrench instead of a 6pt that i would have rounded the bolt head off and busted my knuckles

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2010, 06:26 AM   #13
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by DAlastDON View Post
I think its gonna be "D". Were you actually able to get that one loose? I tried penetrating spray and tightening before loosening with no luck. I put enough brute force on it that I'm sure that if i had been using a 12pt closed end wrench instead of a 6pt that i would have rounded the bolt head off and busted my knuckles
I was able to loosen mine, as I was able to adjust both belts. I didn't have the guide I just posted, I was using a different guide. It took me longer to figure out what had to be loosened than it did to actually tighten the belts.

Maybe give it a try when the engine is warm and see if you can free it up?
Old 12-12-2010, 11:42 AM   Thread Starter #14

Yeah, it is D. and the engine was somewhat warm. I was laying on the floor and was putting as much pressure as I could. I had it on jackstands and when I was putting pressure I could hear the car move a little off the jackstand so that's when I threw in the towel.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #15
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Is it reverse threaded maybe? Sorry guys, I just don't remember.