Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:47 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1931

Reputation Level: 9
ifti is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Oil Change Question

Hey guys,
Probably not the correct thread to post this.

I just changed my oil ( 1 week back ) with Amsoil. I need to replace the oil filter.
I actually changed it while changing oil ( amsoil filter ). I am getting a chatter while starting up - I heard many reviews of filters producing chatter on cold startup due to very minimal oil left overnight. May be the valves are not as per the requirement of VQ engines..just my thought..so I bought the OEM filter and wanted to change it..

Question : how much oil do you think can spill out while just replacing the filter ? is there any trick to lose the least amount.? I ordered another 3 qts of oil incase i lose good amount of them. I know its waste but i just wanted to give this a try before investigating on some other things..My car never used to sound like that when I had different filter ( Mobil/K&N ).
Thanks in advance,
ifti is offline   Send a private message to ifti Find more posts by ifti Add ifti to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 584

Reputation Level: 10
timpol is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: A Good Reason To Change Your Oil On Time

Originally Posted by ifti View Post
Hey guys,
Probably not the correct thread to post this.

I just changed my oil ( 1 week back ) with Amsoil. I need to replace the oil filter.
I actually changed it while changing oil ( amsoil filter ). I am getting a chatter while starting up - I heard many reviews of filters producing chatter on cold startup due to very minimal oil left overnight. May be the valves are not as per the requirement of VQ engines..just my thought..so I bought the OEM filter and wanted to change it..

Question : how much oil do you think can spill out while just replacing the filter ? is there any trick to lose the least amount.? I ordered another 3 qts of oil incase i lose good amount of them. I know its waste but i just wanted to give this a try before investigating on some other things..My car never used to sound like that when I had different filter ( Mobil/K&N ).
Thanks in advance,
I've never heard and witnessed a chatter issue and I've been swapping oil and filters for 20 years. Just move quickly and you shouldn't lose too much oil. Start with refilling the motor with a 1/2 quart as that's usually what's left in the filter. Check the dipstick and add accordingly.
timpol is offline   Send a private message to timpol Find more posts by timpol Add timpol to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
Premier Member
Donating Member

Official Member #: 121

gr8max04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Oil Change Question

Did you use full synthetic?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #4

Official Member #: 1320

obscured is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys,

Question : how much oil do you think can spill out while just replacing the filter ? is there any trick to lose the least amount.?
Since the oil filter is above the level of the oil pan, you'll basically lose the oil in the filter, which would be between 1/2 and 3/4 qt. You won't lose more than this since oil cannot flow uphill. This is also the reason that oil filters have a Anti-Drainback Valve and a bypass valve, to keep oil flowing into the engine on initial start up.
obscured is offline   Send a private message to obscured Find more posts by obscured Add obscured to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2011, 10:24 AM   #5

Official Member #: 2005

Reputation Level: 0
JohnnyMax is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by obscured View Post
Since the oil filter is above the level of the oil pan, you'll basically lose the oil in the filter, which would be between 1/2 and 3/4 qt. You won't lose more than this since oil cannot flow uphill. This is also the reason that oil filters have a Anti-Drainback Valve and a bypass valve, to keep oil flowing into the engine on initial start up.
I Agree
JohnnyMax is offline   Send a private message to JohnnyMax Find more posts by JohnnyMax Add JohnnyMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

How many miles are on the car? Are you getting the timing chain rattle?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #7

Official Member #: 1494

Reputation Level: 13
twisted1 is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

well all the vq engines are clanky/chatty on first start up.. i run 5w20 full synth vavoline oil and it seems that the chatty/clanky noise is only there for about 5sec vs 30sec with other oil i used
Stillen lip kit, black housed headlamps, 370z 18s, 350z 17's on drs, blue led fogs, aem wideband o2,apexi safcll, 75shot zex wet kit, skunk2 cans, custom y&b pipes, 3rd cat & resonator delete, magnaflow precats, nwp spacers, kn cai, and walbro 255 still in box. Dyno #s coming soon....
twisted1 is offline   Send a private message to twisted1 Find more posts by twisted1 Add twisted1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2011, 03:53 AM   Thread Starter #8

Hi,
Thanks for the responses.

I use Amsoil 0w-30.
When I bought the car, it used to rattle for first few secs. The I started changing my oil to Royal Purple with frequent interval as I was not sure how the car was maintained by the previous owner.

The noise was gone for almost 4-5 moths..Then I switched to Amsoil.The ticking noise is almost gone. I mean, I hear it sometimes (very little ticking ) when its warm up. But this noise is new - after the oil change. Its like, when I start after a cold start ( 3-4 hours gap). It happens only for 2-3 secs then gone. Its not ticking noise.

Earlier I used either Mobil or K &N oil filter - this time I switched to Amoil oil filter as well. I read in some other threads about the drain back valve in after market vs Nissan filters. Another 3 qts of Amsoil is on its way - I already bought Nissan filter - so will change that and observe the noise. Not sure whether its goin to cure or not - but just wanted to rule out the least expensive possibilities.
ifti is offline   Send a private message to ifti Find more posts by ifti Add ifti to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
The Local 6.5 Gen

Official Member #: 564

Reputation Level: 27
cgoss will become famous soon enoughcgoss will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

I've been running Amsoil 0w-30 for about 6 months now and hear a slight tick every now and then when I start it up. I use the Wix filter on it also. I'm due for an oil change so I'll be doing that today. Let me know how everything goes for you.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
The Local 6.5 Gen

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Here's what mine looked like today before I changed it @ 10,000 miles.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #11
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

I don't think I'd feel comfortable waiting 10K miles for an oil change. That doesn't look too bad though.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #12
The Bandit

Official Member #: 15

Reputation Level: 23
K-Ryder will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

Visit K-Ryder's Facebook Visit K-Ryder's PS3 Profile Visit K-Ryder's YouTube

I use 10w-30 regular. Since my car is older and also synthetic is to thin, I dont want oil seeping through my seals. So far I prefer regular over synthetic anyway. I've always used it and had no problems what so ever. Also using a 5w oil is good but not so good in the summer since it'll break down to quickly.
K-Ryder is offline   Send a private message to K-Ryder Find more posts by K-Ryder Add K-Ryder to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #13
The Local 6.5 Gen

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
I don't think I'd feel comfortable waiting 10K miles for an oil change. That doesn't look too bad though.
I didn't think it looked too bad either. Aside from sending it to a lab, doing a visual and feeling the consistency compared to new oil is about all I can go by. They guarantee 0w-30 & 0w-20 for 25,000 but I won't take it that far.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #14
King Of R.I
Donating Member

Official Member #: 114

Reputation Level: 33
BLKMAGIC has a spectacular aura aboutBLKMAGIC has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

Banner of The Month  

Honorable Ride  

Sounds more like a timing chain tensioner problem then an oil filter problem...these cars are known for it, and sometimes doing an oil change can change the volume of the rattle. I HiGHLY doubt its the filter.
2004 Ford F150 Lariat Supercrew
1991 Nissan Maxima GXE
BLKMAGIC is offline   Send a private message to BLKMAGIC Find more posts by BLKMAGIC Add BLKMAGIC to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2011, 02:56 AM   Thread Starter #15

So I replaced the Amsoil filter with Nissan..Cant confirm anything..but after 3-4 hours of rest - I started my car, it produced the same rattle for 2-3 secs..but the noise is very little now..I know why it reduced but it did..not compltely..there's something else which is causing this.

Originally Posted by BLKMAGIC View Post
Sounds more like a timing chain tensioner problem then an oil filter problem...these cars are known for it, and sometimes doing an oil change can change the volume of the rattle. I HiGHLY doubt its the filter.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:34 AM   #16
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

So I replaced the Amsoil filter with Nissan..Cant confirm anything..but after 3-4 hours of rest - I started my car, it produced the same rattle for 2-3 secs..but the noise is very little now..I know why it reduced but it did..not compltely..there's something else which is causing this.
I asked in an earlier post, and didn't see a response...what year is your car, and how many miles are on it?

The VQ is kind of a noisy engine, but you could be getting the timing chain tensioner rattle.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:44 PM   Thread Starter #17

I asked in an earlier post, and didn't see a response...what year is your car, and how many miles are on it?

The VQ is kind of a noisy engine, but you could be getting the timing chain tensioner rattle.
Yeah,,sorry I missed that..Its 2004 SE..84K..
I know its in the deadly point..the famous timing chain and transmission problem will start anytime or may be started..

But it never did before..I dont get the rattle every time..only while starting up a cold engine for 2-3 secs..after that evrything is normal..
few months back dealer mentioned my fuel dampners making noise while startup.never replaced them as I never heard any suspicious noise..
Old 04-06-2011, 03:33 AM   Thread Starter #18

Nopes..it did not stop completely..
I am getting that on a random basis ( like once in 4 cold starts )..
I noticed today, when I start my car, I heard the rattle/chattering noise from the passenger side of the engine..I immediately put the gear in "D" - and the noise is gone..then back in P..I heard little noise..
back in D..no noise..
back in P..noise started to fade away and hardly audible..

now what is this ?

PCV valve ? I replaced that few months ago..beck arnley branded...not nissan..
Old 04-19-2011, 04:04 AM   Thread Starter #19

Any ideas ?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:22 AM   #20
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 330

Reputation Level: 22
QMaxx will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

Sounds like the timing chain tensioners. I just got over that dilemma a couple of months ago.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:30 PM   Thread Starter #21

sounds scary

but onething, once I start to drive, I never feel any ticking/rattling noises. Its smooth. It only happenens during cold start for 2-3 secs..not sure..

in forums.maxima.org someone mentioned low power steering fluid caused that, I am little low in that fluid, will try that out first then go to dealer.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #22
Premier Member

Official Member #: 224

Reputation Level: 15
KZ 259 is on a distinguished road

yeah theres no way will i do an oil change every 10k miles. 7k at the most
Old 05-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #23
Premier Member

Official Member #: 2316

96lostsouls is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds scary

but onething, once I start to drive, I never feel any ticking/rattling noises. Its smooth. It only happenens during cold start for 2-3 secs..not sure..

in forums.maxima.org someone mentioned low power steering fluid caused that, I am little low in that fluid, will try that out first then go to dealer.
Its valve chatter. Most Nissan's do it.
96lostsouls is offline   Send a private message to 96lostsouls Find more posts by 96lostsouls Add 96lostsouls to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2011, 04:35 AM   Thread Starter #24

well these VQ's are funny sometime..
When I seafoam lastweek, I used only a Galon of Royal Purple 10w-30 and still was getting the initial chattering..
When I checked oil level in the morning to add some more oil, it was just in the middle of Low and High, so I just added 1/4 qt..still noise.
then another morning I filled up so that the marker reads just little above the High level ( took almost 2/3 qt )..starting from next day no noise..

my car now starts smooth..no unwanted noise..but after it warms up and if I start again it makes little ticking noise ( like it used to do when I bought it 2 yrs back). I observed the noise level has not increased.

Not sure a little low oil was causing that ( should be normal right between low and high ) or seafoam helped it or its just royal purple..but anyways I am happy that my timing chain is not in worse condition.
Injen CAI, Racingline FSTB, KCMAXX RSB,JL amp and 10 inch JL Sub, Smoked Trail lights, All interior LED, Front-Rear Window tint, Racingline Ground Kit,Monroe Strut and Shocks,Carbon Fiber Dash Kit, Magnalow Exhaust, 6K HID, 2 degree timing advance
---------------------------------------------------------------
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:35 AM   #25

Official Member #: 8388

Reputation Level: 7
shredda is an unknown quantity at this point

I sincerely apologize for bumping such an old thread, but I feel the need to do so.

I recently started noticing a hard rattle when starting my car after it had been sitting a while(sounded it was starting dry). I read up on filters, and found out that once they are filled with dirt and contaminates, the bypass valve(or what ever it's called) kicks in . I replaced the filter, and the start up rattle went away.

The oil used was royal purple HPS 5w30 with a purple filter. Put these in back in September and have put about 3500 miles(5600 km)on the oil since then.

The replacement filter I used is made by a company called "mann". After changing the filter, the oil went from a very dark brown to a tan-ish colour.

Moral of the story if you will....change your filters. Synthetic oil will last, but these tiny filters get filled fast.
shredda is offline   Send a private message to shredda Find more posts by shredda Add shredda to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top