Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:00 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 3315

Reputation Level: 0
big_c is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Normal Sound Or Tensioner? *Video*

Just bought a 04 max SL, 4AT with 64k miles on it. I am trying to anticipate whether a timing chain tensioner will need to be in my budget in the near future. I just get a minor whirring sound while revving, not really the loud rattle banging noise demonstrated on other maxima videos on youtube.

I have the typical VQ 1 second rattle when starting it first thing in the morning.

Below is a video with sound of the engine running, at about 1/4 temp or so. Minor revving, to 2500-3k or so.

http://youtu.be/EAnZyPjh4sI

The questions:

1. Is this whirring sound normal? Am I freaking out about nothing?

2. Will I have to do the timing chain job soon? If so, how long until it gets really critical to replace?

3. If there are problems brewing beneath the timing cover, are there any videos of *normal* sounding maximas available? Every video Ive seen is either the whirring or rattle. Do you guys have a video of engine sound after a chain replacement, or in brand new condition?

I love the car, just the thought of having a $1500 repair this early into owning the car kills me. Ive read through the 13 page thread on the big org, and am wondering if I am getting worried about nothing...
big_c is offline   Send a private message to big_c Find more posts by big_c Add big_c to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Normal Sound Or Tensioner? *Video*

Sounds a little different than mine does, but I don't know if it sounds like the tensioner problem. I was thinking it sounds like there is a little more chatter/rattle, but when you rev'd, the sound frequency didn't increase with the RPMs.

Was it a cold start or had you been driving around for a while?

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

sounds like a normal VQ , try some thicker oil and see if that helps,

if the rattle is still there , more than likely the tensioner/guides needs to be replace
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #4

Official Member #: 3044

vene09 is an unknown quantity at this point

My car (05 with 69000 miles) just started doing this noise 1 week ago, i know its not the timing chain tensioner because i already spent 1300 to fix that at the dealer 6 months ago. idk this car is starting to scare me
vene09 is offline   Send a private message to vene09 Find more posts by vene09 Add vene09 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2011, 09:38 PM   Thread Starter #5

Official Member #: 3315

big_c is an unknown quantity at this point

Im wondering if its just normal operation. I drove a brand new impala for a rental the last two days, and during a cold start it made a slight whine until warm. Could just be the power steering pump noise before the fluid is warmed.
big_c is offline   Send a private message to big_c Find more posts by big_c Add big_c to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
L36
Official Member

Official Member #: 3575

Reputation Level: 10
L36 is on a distinguished road

If you or the previous owner has never done the tensioner job then its very likely you will have to do it very soon. I have a 07 motor with only 41K miles on it and by the looks of the tensioners i took off the motor, they were maybe 5K miles away from being completely worn.
L36 is offline   Send a private message to L36 Find more posts by L36 Add L36 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top