Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:14 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 13641

Reputation Level: 0
G35coupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default New 05 SE Owner With Tons Of Issues

new 05 se owner with TONS of issues, help needed
Hey everyone , I just purchased a project maxima today and it has alot of issues and i am stumped, i have been googling for a while and need some more answers. Im not new to vq world as my main car is a 03 g35 coupe. Anyways here goes, sorry for the long post but I need advice.

2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE , 111k miles Automatic.

Car was in an accident about 5 months ago, accident was to the drivers side right in the middle of the front and rear doors. Car has been parked since then.

I went today to look at the car. It didnt have a battery in it. Bought a battery and installed it. Car started right up.

Car will idle all day, smooth and nicely. Doesnt get hot, or miss or anything.

However, airbag, ses light are on.

When you first turn on car and if you rev it a little bit, the rpm's will climb, and all is normal, but that only lasts for a couple seconds.

Then the brake light comes on and then the car doesnt respond to the gas pedal. Its like it doesnt even know you are pressing it. If you turn off car and restart , you can rev again for a couple seconds, then brake light comes on and it doesnt respond to the pedal.

Once in a while it will last long enough to attempt to move it in gear. In reverse it moves somewhat with almost a normal power feel to it. But in drive it barley will move, almost like trans is slipping, but the rpm's don't go up.

From my research it seems like maybe alternator is bad and going into limp mode, because it's running on battery alone. I will pull alternator tomorrow and get it tested. But I have more issues........

The headlights, radio, display screen, ac , ac controls, wipers, all do not function....... could this be alternator related as well? Any help would be greatly appreaciated, thank you.

Last edited by 06BlckMax; 08-01-2013 at 05:42 AM.
G35coupe is offline   Send a private message to G35coupe Find more posts by G35coupe Add G35coupe to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

Reputation Level: 58
officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: new 05 se owner with TONS of issues, help needed

Have you checked any engine codes yet?

Paging @BurntOrangeAppeal
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2013, 08:16 AM   Thread Starter #3

Default Re: New 05 SE Owner With Tons Of Issues

Pulling codes here in a couple hours. And will post back
BurntOrangeAppeal (08-01-2013)
G35coupe is offline   Send a private message to G35coupe Find more posts by G35coupe Add G35coupe to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2013, 02:13 PM   Thread Starter #4

ok guys I have had a pretty productive morning. Got the codes pulled and here is what was there when i got to the car this morning.

P1148
P1168
U1000
P1065
P1031
P1051
P0444

and then a repeat of those codes with (PD) next to them.

I also went fuse hunting, both under drivers dash and pass side engine bay, I found about 10 blown fuses and 2 missing fuses. Remember I had alot of stuff not working.

Under the hood, the wipers fuse and AT Cont fuse , were both blown, I replaced.

Under drivers dash had a bunch of blown fuses and 2 missing, I replaced blown and installed the 2 missing, The missing ones were for the blower- turns out it blows at full speed all the time weather ac on or not- I figure blower motor resistor is the culprit.

So now.... radio works, display works, ac works but blows on high all the time, wipers work, steering wheel controls work, exterior lights are iffy- some work some dont -- i assume alot of blown bulbs, cluster works with the exception of the light that shows what gear you are in.

Back to the matter at hand.... So now the car starts and runs fine at idle, you can rev the rpms in park or neutral and it responds accordingly. Always.

However, when put in reverse or drive it will not go over 2100 rpms or so. In reverse it goes at a normal reverse speed, but like i said it wont go over 2100 rpms, in drive its better than yesterday but still slow moving and only goes to 2100 rpms.

I cleared codes did some resets, idle was 1k, now its 750. and retested, codes now are

P1148
P1168
U1000
P1031
P1051

so its saying all o2's are bad? Still stumped, but in better shape than yesterday, any clues???
Old 08-01-2013, 06:54 PM   Thread Starter #5

not sure if it's relevant or not, but no seats or carpet are in the car, its been stripped inside for repair, dash and center console are there , but thats it no seats or carpet and seat belts are hanging not bolted in at bottom. Not sure if that would cause a ground issue, i doubt it, but worth noting. I also went back to car this afternoon and checked every fuse in all 3 fuse boxes, and they are fine now. and i pulled the bar on the dash mount , left side , (4) 12mm nuts, scraped paint and remounted bar. in case of poor ground connection. didnt help
Old 08-02-2013, 04:41 AM   #6
Official Member

Official Member #: 6390

Reputation Level: 7
Mike2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G35coupe View Post
not sure if it's relevant or not, but no seats or carpet are in the car, its been stripped inside for repair, dash and center console are there , but thats it no seats or carpet and seat belts are hanging not bolted in at bottom. Not sure if that would cause a ground issue, i doubt it, but worth noting. I also went back to car this afternoon and checked every fuse in all 3 fuse boxes, and they are fine now. and i pulled the bar on the dash mount , left side , (4) 12mm nuts, scraped paint and remounted bar. in case of poor ground connection. didnt help
Just keep going through the car taking a good look at everything. Something caused all those fuses to blow. Follow all the wiring checking for breaks, pinches, loose connections, and burnt or over heated wires. If the wire is exceptionally stiff it may have over heated. Could be the worm up function could be why its running good at start up. Check fuel pressure at start up and after it start running funny. Maybe the TPS is not working properly after warm up.

Sometimes you just have to go faster than the other guy
Mike2005 is offline   Send a private message to Mike2005 Find more posts by Mike2005 Add Mike2005 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
Executive Member

Official Member #: 1924

Reputation Level: 24
Latinmaxima is on a distinguished road

Visit Latinmaxima's Facebook Visit Latinmaxima's PS3 Profile Visit Latinmaxima's YouTube Visit Latinmaxima's Xbox Gamercard

Can you verify the harness that runs along the drivers side is intact? Runs along the door sills to the rear of the car. The SRS light should remain on while the seats are out. The o2 sensors could very well indicate catalytic converters need changing at that mileage. Continue your process of elimination. You will get through it

So says latinmaxima, so it shall be!
Old 08-02-2013, 08:14 AM   Thread Starter #8

I was thinking maybe something got pinched when it had impact on drivers side middle of both doors. But the damage doesn't seem to be bad except on the doors. I'm borrowing a multimeter today and am going to start checking voltages and ohms everywhere. And see what I can find.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:45 AM   Thread Starter #9

Also. The car thinks the doors are open. It has door light on. And when I move it. It beeps and the display says door is open. Mainly because the doors do not close. But even when I hold both door switches down the door light dirdnt go off. Any ideas?
Old 08-02-2013, 09:22 AM   Thread Starter #10

Originally Posted by Mike2005 View Post
Just keep going through the car taking a good look at everything. Something caused all those fuses to blow. Follow all the wiring checking for breaks, pinches, loose connections, and burnt or over heated wires. If the wire is exceptionally stiff it may have over heated. Could be the worm up function could be why its running good at start up. Check fuel pressure at start up and after it start running funny. Maybe the TPS is not working properly after warm up.
it runs fine now, all the time, its just in fail safe mode, when put into drive or reverse.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Becayse of the extend of the problems and the vehicle condition, you need to arm yourself with a copy of FSM and follow through testing procedures for the codes relating to "limp Mode" once this is done proceed furter to other codes. Process of elimination is the short answer to your problems. I mean the car is missing lights doors are open, you are in limp mode, lights are burned out....seriously. one step at a time...
As im away from the computer at the moment I cant help out more till next week.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2013, 06:26 PM   Thread Starter #12

Figured out the problem. Alternator over charging. However. Now ecm isn't powering up. Problly due to the over charging