Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:32 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 3833

Reputation Level: 14
Wil~Bones will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default In Need Of Some Desperate Help!!!!

So im driving home from base and i decided to play arround in manual mode in my 04 maxima (not cvt) well i got home and parked.. 20 min later i get back in my car, and when i tried to start it up it took at least 5 sec to turn over. i put the car in drive and there was a slight kick.. as soon as i accelerated i noticed a dramatic change. the car will not rev past 2 grand, and accelerates EXTREMELY slowly. i mean 0-20 in 20 sec. i took right to autozone and all they did was a batery check and they said it was a bad batery, which is b.s because its new.. well from there i drove (extremely slow rate of speed) to a shop where they ran the code and found it was the camshaft positioning sensor. they told me to diag. fully would be 78 bucks. i said fuck that let me see if my people at the 6th gen family could save me some bucks.. so i pulled out the shop and the car started up right away with no problem, and drove like normal... the next day on my way to work the car just died and i pulled over. then it all started again, 5sec to turnover, started driving extremely slow. need help to see if this happened to anyone else.. someone said it can be bad gas, clogged something and or sppark plugs..... plz help. i need my baby to be healthy again..(i had a new transmissioned put in at 92 k, im at 105k now)
Old 01-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Poetic Max

Official Member #: 2199

Reputation Level: 35
Kontra-vers-E will become famous soon enoughKontra-vers-E will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Visit Kontra-vers-E's Facebook Visit Kontra-vers-E's PS3 Profile
Default Re: Need Of Some Desprete Help!!!!

I was going to say it sounded like your catalytic converter until you said it took 5 secs to start and then drove fine one day and bad the next. I don't know about this one.

Greatness in the making...
Kontra-vers-E is offline   Send a private message to Kontra-vers-E Find more posts by Kontra-vers-E Add Kontra-vers-E to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Reputation Level: 20
Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Wil~Bones View Post
So im driving home from base and i decided to play arround in manual mode in my 04 maxima (not cvt) well i got home and parked.. 20 min later i get back in my car, and when i tried to start it up it took at least 5 sec to turn over. i put the car in drive and there was a slight kick.. as soon as i accelerated i noticed a dramatic change. the car will not rev past 2 grand, and accelerates EXTREMELY slowly. i mean 0-20 in 20 sec. i took right to autozone and all they did was a batery check and they said it was a bad batery, which is b.s because its new.. well from there i drove (extremely slow rate of speed) to a shop where they ran the code and found it was the camshaft positioning sensor. they told me to diag. fully would be 78 bucks. i said fuck that let me see if my people at the 6th gen family could save me some bucks.. so i pulled out the shop and the car started up right away with no problem, and drove like normal... the next day on my way to work the car just died and i pulled over. then it all started again, 5sec to turnover, started driving extremely slow. need help to see if this happened to anyone else.. someone said it can be bad gas, clogged something and or sppark plugs..... plz help. i need my baby to be healthy again..(i had a new transmissioned put in at 92 k, im at 105k now)
Explain that part please.....?

If it was a bad battery, it wouldn't start at all.

Camshaft sensors are located on the driver side of the engine. One is toward the back and another toward the center of that side. They're about $40-50 for the sensors and you can change them yourself. I think there's a sticky here somewhere for that.

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2012, 06:43 PM   Thread Starter #4
Official Member

Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
Explain that part please.....?

If it was a bad battery, it wouldn't start at all.
i decided to drive it in town, well im inlove with how the 1st gear is quick so i raced a g35 at the light so i might of max out 1st gear a few times after that. but it shifted on its own. i was beating on it a little/..
Old 01-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
I Am Just A Man

Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

i decided to drive it in town, well im inlove with how the 1st gear is quick so i raced a g35 at the light so i might of max out 1st gear a few times after that. but it shifted on its own. i was beating on it a little/..
IF they told you camshaft sensor was the CEL code, then just replace that and your car will run fine. That's only IF that light came on AFTER whatever fun you had.

What was the code?

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2012, 06:49 PM   Thread Starter #6
Official Member

IF they told you camshaft sensor was the CEL code, then just replace that and your car will run fine. That's only IF that light only came on AFTER whatever fun you had.

What was the code?
P0340,

i mean i didnt notice the engine light untill i turned the car on after i parked it and it started acting up
Old 01-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
I Am Just A Man

P0340,

i mean i didnt notice the engine light untill i turned the car on after i parked it and it started acting up
Then call the dealer and ask for the camshaft sensors, Bank 1 & Bank 2. Replace both at the same time and call it a day.

How to Repair Error Code P0340 - Bank 1 Cam Positioner Sensor

04max28 (01-25-2012), Wil~Bones (01-25-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Honorable Ride  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Man,there is so much knowledge and info here!! You can get anything you need here...Good luck wil bones

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
Official Member
Donating Member

Official Member #: 141

Reputation Level: 17
PhantomMax is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Default Re: In Need Of Some Desperate Help!!!!

Did you try disconnecting the battery over night. Let the ecu reset. Also check your battery grounding cable. Mine was so rusted the wires in the cable had broken.

Last edited by PhantomMax; 01-25-2012 at 07:26 PM.
PhantomMax is offline   Send a private message to PhantomMax Find more posts by PhantomMax Add PhantomMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2012, 07:25 PM   Thread Starter #10
Official Member

Originally Posted by PhantomMax View Post
Did you try disconnecting the battery over night. Let the ecu reset.
affraid it wont start if i do that
Old 01-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
Official Member
Donating Member

Official Member #: 141

Reputation Level: 17
PhantomMax is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

It will.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
Mile High Maxima

Official Member #: 510

Reputation Level: 34
Apollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

It should start and the cars won't damage themselves by putting it to Manual mode, they have a fail safe that will force them to shift before damage.

Besides, I've tested it at the track many times, going into manual doesn't really help, it's more for downshifting to get on the highway etc.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
smittybizzle (01-25-2012)
Apollos2 is offline   Send a private message to Apollos2 Find more posts by Apollos2 Add Apollos2 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
Premier Member

Official Member #: 738

Reputation Level: 13
DViious is on a distinguished road

I've had this problem...camshaft sensors replace both...and car will be fine...and i don't get the manual mode part do you me the 1, 2, 3 gear?

R.I.P BISHNU - SECONDTONONE317

TOPSPEED PRO-1 PERFORMANCE SPONSORED

http://stores.ebay.com/TOP-SPEED-PRO-1-PERFORMANCE
DViious is offline   Send a private message to DViious Find more posts by DViious Add DViious to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
Donating Member

Official Member #: 86

Reputation Level: 25
Max Power will become famous soon enoughMax Power will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Visit Max Power's YouTube

Originally Posted by Apollos2 View Post
It should start and the cars won't damage themselves by putting it to Manual mode, they have a fail safe that will force them to shift before damage.

Besides, I've tested it at the track many times, going into manual doesn't really help, it's more for downshifting to get on the highway etc.
Have you ever held the stick back and "bounced" off the red line?
I did that once. Scared the crap out of me.
Max Power is offline   Send a private message to Max Power Find more posts by Max Power Add Max Power to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #15
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 1598

Reputation Level: 21
smittybizzle will become famous soon enough

^^^ I didnt know it would do that .
smittybizzle is offline   Send a private message to smittybizzle Find more posts by smittybizzle Add smittybizzle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #16
Donating Member

Official Member #: 86

Reputation Level: 25
Max Power will become famous soon enoughMax Power will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Visit Max Power's YouTube

Originally Posted by smittybizzle View Post
^^^ I didnt know it would do that .
Yup. Hold back (downshift) in your choice of gear, I did it in 1st, and it won't automatically shift. Just bounces off the red line.

Btw, you can hold it in the up position when you come to a stop to have it stay in 2nd. Helpful on icy roads.
Max Power is offline   Send a private message to Max Power Find more posts by Max Power Add Max Power to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #17
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

All these post are very helpful , so lets break down a few things you need to check/ or do.

Since CEL code was pulled for the cam shaft sensors, that would be the first thing to replace as it will cause your tranny to mis-shift like theres issue,

that 0-20 means its in limp mode.

the other point that was brought up , there is a ground cable right under the battery tray that you would normally NOT see if your down in your engine bay, you will see if the car is on a LIFT ( but you can get to it with the car on the ground ) it just visually no one will see it, that cable normally gets corrade with battery acid and gets eating up and damage.

You should check for that as well.

Also that comment on holding down the (downshift) I believe kevin007 did this in 1st gear to get a better launch, I think I tried it a few times and I was about to bring the RPMs up higher than normal shift points.
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2012, 01:41 AM   #18
I Am Just A Man

The ground cable shouldn't be damaged. That same ground cable connects to the tranny.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #19
Mile High Maxima

Official Member #: 510

Reputation Level: 34
Apollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
Have you ever held the stick back and "bounced" off the red line?
I did that once. Scared the crap out of me.
LOL no haven't been that brave/crazy. Had the tranny replaced once already, not looking forward to a second.

I also thought taking the RPM a little to high actually starts to kill the power before the next shift, so I really don't fool around with it, taking the RPMs higher.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Apollos2 is offline   Send a private message to Apollos2 Find more posts by Apollos2 Add Apollos2 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #20
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

The ground cable shouldn't be damaged. That same ground cable connects to the tranny.
it shouldn't *BUT* everyone should check anyways as over time it's been a known issue.

that is NOT what is causing this issues but again it something everyone should check from time to time.

little inspections goes a long way to taken care of your car.
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #21
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Definitely good info here. Keep the posts coming.

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2012, 03:31 PM   Thread Starter #22
Official Member

thanks folksss,, lol..
alot of advice her and im thankfull for every lil bit of knowledge that yall throw at me..
Old 01-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #23

Official Member #: 3323

Reputation Level: 0
mikedela is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Need Of Some Desperate Help!!!!

Had the same problem last week......replaced Camshaft pos sensors and its fine....
NiZMo1o1 (01-27-2012)
mikedela is offline   Send a private message to mikedela Find more posts by mikedela Add mikedela to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2012, 12:36 PM   Thread Starter #24
Official Member

sweet
Old 01-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #25
Official Member

Official Member #: 2406

Reputation Level: 9
04max28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit 04max28's Facebook Visit 04max28's PS3 Profile

BUMP