Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:58 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 5358

Reputation Level: 0
Jose2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Need Some Advice With My 2005 Maxima

So, This is how it all started. On day I was driving to work and my dash lights came on (ABS, TC OFF, Slip, Brake) At first I had no idea as to why they all came on at once, then I thought maybe it was just a some electrical malfunction, cause soon after all the lights went away. After that Incident, about two week later, my wife drove the Max over a pot hole and got a flat on the front right tire (passenger side), I had it replace. Soon after that when ever the Max would get driven there was a loud noise that came from the the front of the car, My friend said it was because I had just installed a new tire and the noise was going to go away, and it did. After, about a month I was replacing the brake pads and that was when I noticed that the front right tire was able to rock from right to left.(I'm new to cars but I knew this is not normal) I took the car to a mechanic and he found out it was the Bearing, I had it replace and that fixed the wheel from rocking, but as soon as I drove it off the shop the Abs would turn on and the brake paddle would vibrate every time I pressed on the brakes, I talk to the mechanic and he said the noise would go away in about 2-3 day, so i waited and the abs persisted. I call him after about 2 1/2 (busy with work/school and the max is not my daily transportation ) and I told him that the problem is not gone, he then said that there could be 2 explanations to this problem, One reason could be because after using the car in its condition it slightly bent the rotor and that was why the abs would come on. Second reason could be because the Abs got damaged and it had to be replaced. So we went ahead and had the rotor and brake pads replaced and that seem to have solved the problem. So about a week or two I drove the Max to Walmart, and as soon as I parked and turn the engine off there was a noise coming from outside the car (It sounded like the abs), it seemed like if it was coming from the right front of the car. I called the mechanic that moment to tell him the problem, because I had my 4yr old daughter with me and I wanted to know if it was safe to drive the car or have it towed to his shop, he told me it was safe for me to drive the car. So I went home and the noise wouldn't go away, I left the car parked and since I wasn't sure if the car battery was going to get drained out I unplugged it. Then I was told by my mechanic not to do that, instead to take out the ABS plug, so I did and that stop the noise. So the next day as I drove the car to his shop the lights came on (ABS, TCS Off, Slip, Brake, Check Engine) he check it out and he said that the whole ABS control unit has to be replace and he said that it was pretty expensive, around $1,000 just for the part alone. Since that was out of the question because of the price I just had the Max parked for about 2 months, the ABS noise does not come on anymore, it just stopped from one day to another. I called my mechanic and he said that I might not have to replace the ABS Unit anymore, but the lights (ABS, TCS off, Brake, Slip) or still on.

So My question to you guys is, Does any of this make sense, is my mechanic just trying to jigg me out of my money, or can the car get worse be driving it. What should I do? Get a second opinion?

My wife just stopped working her part time job, and we are about to have our second child in about 2 weeks, and I'm still making monthly payments on the max, so money is kind of an issue right now.

Thanks and It's a lot to read but any information would be helpful.!!
Jose2010 is offline   Send a private message to Jose2010 Find more posts by Jose2010 Add Jose2010 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #2

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default Re: Need Some Advice With My 2005 Maxima

Welcome to the my6thgen.org family!

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #3

Official Member #: 747

Reputation Level: 9
bhp4202 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had an issue about 2 years ago where my abs was coming on while driving and braking and abs light came on and the problem ended up being a bad wheel speed sensor. They weren't sure at first what was causing it so they pulled abs fuse to stop the abs from coming on but when you do that it kills your speedometer and I don't remember how they pin pointed to to rear speed sensor but that's what it was and haven't had problem since hope this helps.
bhp4202 is offline   Send a private message to bhp4202 Find more posts by bhp4202 Add bhp4202 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

Reputation Level: 11
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome aboard .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
Official Member

Official Member #: 5770

Reputation Level: 7
Simplyred06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome
Simplyred06 is offline   Send a private message to Simplyred06 Find more posts by Simplyred06 Add Simplyred06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
Premier Member

Official Member #: 300

Reputation Level: 22
PetitFrereMaxima will become famous soon enoughPetitFrereMaxima will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Welcome...

My BUILD/MAINTENANCE thread. Aiming for 250K on odometer.
http://my6thgen.org/f13/emiles-petitfreremaxima-17985/ ... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
https://www.clubarmada.com/forums/21...ton-tx-63.html... KING OF THE ROAD
PetitFrereMaxima is offline   Send a private message to PetitFrereMaxima Find more posts by PetitFrereMaxima Add PetitFrereMaxima to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2013, 12:17 AM   Thread Starter #7

Official Member #: 5358

Reputation Level: 0
Jose2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bhp4202 View Post
I had an issue about 2 years ago where my abs was coming on while driving and braking and abs light came on and the problem ended up being a bad wheel speed sensor. They weren't sure at first what was causing it so they pulled abs fuse to stop the abs from coming on but when you do that it kills your speedometer and I don't remember how they pin pointed to to rear speed sensor but that's what it was and haven't had problem since hope this helps.
Thanks bro, Yeah it might be the same problem then, I'm going to get a second opinion on the car, I glad to hear that you haven't had anymore problems with the Max. Do you know if you could drive the car with the ABS fuse out? Can it cause more damage to the car? Thanks again for the response.
Jose2010 is offline   Send a private message to Jose2010 Find more posts by Jose2010 Add Jose2010 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #8

Official Member #: 747

Reputation Level: 9
bhp4202 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im not sure on causing more damage I drove my car for a few days with abs fuse out but your speedometer will not work it will sit on zero so you won't know how fast your going.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #9

Official Member #: 6274

Reputation Level: 8
O.G.Nat-tral is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit O.G.Nat-tral's PS3 Profile Visit O.G.Nat-tral's Twitter Visit O.G.Nat-tral's YouTube

sounds like a serious issue but welcome..

Abused VQ
O.G.Nat-tral is offline   Send a private message to O.G.Nat-tral Find more posts by O.G.Nat-tral Add O.G.Nat-tral to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top