Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:39 AM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1646

Reputation Level: 11
emilbadal is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default My Transmission Is Acting Up

Hey guys,

I changed my trans fluid 2 weeks ago with Valvoline full synthetic ATF which on the back label mentioned that it's compatible with matic K. So I D&R the fluid and instantly I felt that the shifts got way smoother than before.BUT, a new weird symptom showed up. When I floor it, the car delays more to downshift to acheieve the max acceleration and sometimes even though I expect(And by that I mean I know that it should downshift ) it doesn't. for instance I'm driving 30mph and it's in the 3rd gear...when I floor it, the car feels like it's insisting on keeping 3rd gear and not downshift like it would do before...and another thing I feel like the car under full load doesn't pull as hard as it used to and it's taking longer to reach 60 but yet no jerks and no slipping....that's really weird , because my speedometer keeps up with the rpm but it takes longer and more hesitatnt....I checked for codes and Nothing shows.

my car has 80K and I D&R once at 65K and again 2weeks ago around 79.5K miles....the first time fluid was the Nissan matic K fluid.

I am planning on drain and refill the fluid multiple times with Valvoline ATF because my fluid was really dark(but it didn't smelled burnet however) and I'm trying to clean the whole fluid inside by multiple drain and refill.

Does anyone has this issue? Or maybe some ideas of what could it be?

Thanks in Advance guys
emilbadal is offline   Send a private message to emilbadal Find more posts by emilbadal Add emilbadal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #2

Official Member #: 14617

Reputation Level: 6
brwnjk is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: My Transmission is acting up in a weird kinda way

I would only use matic k as directed. My local dealership put mercon V in my 05 and I am noticing some hard shifts. Matic k is made specifically for our transmissions and should be the #1 choice.

Posted Via Tapatalk
brwnjk is offline   Send a private message to brwnjk Find more posts by brwnjk Add brwnjk to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2014, 01:38 PM   Thread Starter #3
Official Member

Thanks for quick response brwnjk .
In the service manual, it mentioned that in Canada, they can use and I quote:
"For Canada, NISSAN Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF), DEXRON™ III/MERCON™, or equivalent ATF may also be used."
I haven't heard anything bad about Valvoline ATF anywhere and it is dirt cheap in comparison to Nissan Matic K fluid. Car companies always try to push their products on their customers and it's totally fine because their products will work the best but for customers like me who cannot spent 100-160 dollars every 10K miles on transmission fluid in a transmission that is defective by design and requires lot of maintenance I simply cannot afford it. I'm still not convinced that it is oil yet, because my shifts are way smoother than before and I don't get knocks at all...if I shuffle between D>N>R couple of time pulling out of a tight parking space I might get a slight knock, but nothing alarming.

Does anybody else have such weird symptoms before or even now?
emilbadal is offline   Send a private message to emilbadal Find more posts by emilbadal Add emilbadal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2014, 02:13 AM   Thread Starter #4
Official Member

Okay guys, I just did the change on the Mobil 1 ATF 3309 fluid change and I drained and refilled for 3 times using 9 quarts of fluid I end up saving almost 160bucks for trans fluid service from a shop which I am happy about, but what I am very happy about is that my transmission is back and it's working like before but smoother with the trans brakes working just like before and the shifts are smooth but with more definition than with the Valvoline fluid. Happily my fluid was not smelling burnt or anything and I don't push the car too hard, so as far as the problems that I mentioned in the previous post, they are gone now.Might be too early to say for sure but, I hope my happiness with the current state of the trans doesn't become short lived...fingers crossed

long story short Mobil 1 3309 works and it's almost half the price of matic K....and if you think about getting valvoline synthetic fluid, just don't , it is not going to work for you.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Keep up the update as you get more miles under her belt. Thanks.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2014, 05:52 PM   Thread Starter #6
Official Member

Sure, will do. As I was flushing the fluid I noticed that my front and passenger motor mounts are slashed...will they cause shudder and vibration in low speeds?
Old 03-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #7
Burnt Orange

BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by emilbadal View Post
Sure, will do. As I was flushing the fluid I noticed that my front and passenger motor mounts are slashed...will they cause shudder and vibration in low speeds?
Short answer is yes. They will also cause accelerated axle wear if torn and engine putting extra pressure on axles.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2014, 12:11 AM   Thread Starter #8
Official Member

Default Re: My Transmission Is Acting Up

I just bought the mounts off amazon...next weekend is motor mount week
That explains alot actually...I changed the passenger side axle and for almost a week the vibrations became minimal but now the vibration is more apparent and it's intermittent sometimes it's there sometimes not. Thanks for the info buddy
BurntOrangeAppeal (03-10-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 02:48 AM   Thread Starter #9
Official Member

Quick question....Should I change the solenoid/sensor of the motor mount with the oem solenoid or just put the new one in?
Old 03-12-2014, 05:29 AM   #10
Burnt Orange

Id go with oem as its firestone and ive never seen a code for the sensor unless the nount is completely torn up..so they last.
-=My Build Tread=-
Old 03-16-2014, 01:53 PM   Thread Starter #11
Official Member

I changed the motor mounts yesterday, and I'm glad to say that my vibrations has become second to non-existent. These are the motor mounts that I pulled out the car(The upper and the front), the other two are looking good with no cracks. I took it for a test drive and I was amazed how much these motor mounts contribute to the ride comfort of our car.
three of which are:

1-The shift points of transmission were Way Off even after I flushed the transmission fluid, Some times it would shift early some times it would shift late and especially while downshifts the delay would cause the transmission to knock into gears

2-The vibrations that I was talking about between 25-55mph are minimal to almost unnoticeable and I am sure different road surfaces also contribute to so of the vibrations. In my case 90% of the time that I test drove it, it didn't vibrate at all and when it did was when I did left turns which is probably because of my 2 inch drop in front.

3- I used to get lots of knocking noises and pupping going over the harsh surfaces and I always thought that there was something loose in my front suspension, after motor mount changes all are gone, which I can conclude that the poor engine was knocking and bouncing around in the engine bay

I'm glad to say my Max is back and it feels great like when I bought it 3 years ago.

Last edited by emilbadal; 03-16-2014 at 01:57 PM.
sprocketser (03-16-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #12

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

Great news bro! Glad the car feels good again.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
emilbadal (03-16-2014)
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2014, 01:09 AM   Thread Starter #13
Official Member

New updates on the transmission fluid results:

Yesterday I checked my fluid level in hot state and the level was right on the bottom of the XXXX lines of the hot zone on the transmission dipstick....The car was still feeling a little bit sluggish when accelerating so I decided to top it off to the hi side of XXXX mark. it took a quarter of a QUART
Old 03-27-2014, 01:27 AM   Thread Starter #14
Official Member

Just a new update on transmission fluid:
I checked the transmission fluid level yesterday while the car was hot and it was right on the low mark of the hot zone on the dipstick which is shown with XXXXX. The car was still feeling a little bit sluggish so I decided to top it off. It took a quarter of a QUART and it came up right to the Hi side of the hot zone. Another amazing change happened, the sluggishness of the acceleration is completely gone and the transmission became more responsive.

The moral of this update is that "make sure your fluid level is right on High mark when hot....if the transmission is feeling weird or sluggish check your fluid level. And last but not least DO NOT OVERFILL also. for me it was amazing how a quarter of quart of fluid can change how the car feels and performs. Same goes with the engine... A while ago I started to hear the timing chain noise and the car had only 65K on the clock...I change motor oil every 7500miles with synthetic oil and it had almost 5K on the oil at that point....I checked the level of the oil and sure thing , the oil level was low...I put half a quart of oil and instantly the timing chain noise faded away. I'm not sure why but seems like my car consumes oil , I have no leaks but every 5K on the oil I have to put half a quart in it....Does anyone have an explanation for it??

Regarding the Mobil 1 ATF 3309, I can verify that it works and performs just as good as Matic K maybe even better. I don't have hard shifts at all, sometimes during many intermittent stop and go and heavy traffic situation it might make some mild knocking sounds which I believe it's more of a poor transmission software and programming than anything else.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #15
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Great news concerning Tranny , how many D&Fs did you got altogether !

Oil consumption could be because of piston rings , valve seals . or do you have some oil i n coolant ! If so it s a blown head gasket .

half a quart for 5k isn t that bad , just make sure that you check it mate .

Maybe do some lower mileage between oil changes & see what it does .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2014, 06:41 PM   Thread Starter #16
Official Member

Originally Posted by sprocketser View Post
Great news concerning Tranny , how many D&Fs did you got altogether !

Oil consumption could be because of piston rings , valve seals . or do you have some oil i n coolant ! If so it s a blown head gasket .

half a quart for 5k isn t that bad , just make sure that you check it mate .

Maybe do some lower mileage between oil changes & see what it does .
I did three times of drain and refills...I bought a case of 3309 and I had two of the matic K left from earlier... I still have more than 4 quarts of fluid :D I think each drain 3.25 quarts came out.
Nope I changed the radiator fluid also there was no trace of oil in there, and my exhaust pipes are bone dry...My guess is that oil vaporization. Yeah definitely, I take care of this ugly baby :D
Old 03-27-2014, 06:59 PM   #17
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emilbadal View Post
I did three times of drain and refills...I bought a case of 3309 and I had two of the matic K left from earlier... I still have more than 4 quarts of fluid :D I think each drain 3.25 quarts came out.
Nope I changed the radiator fluid also there was no trace of oil in there, and my exhaust pipes are bone dry...My guess is that oil vaporization. Yeah definitely, I take care of this ugly baby :D
Ok for the D&Fs , it s what was done to mine . As I wrote , try shorter intervals for the next few oil changes in order to see what will happen .

Yep maintnance s pretty important with these bad boys .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top