Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:29 PM   Thread Starter #1
Connecticut's Prestige 6th Gen

my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 82

Reputation Level: 25
CXJ Performance will become famous soon enoughCXJ Performance will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Default My Car Is An Assho**

well before i put my wheels on and bodykit i went thru my car and fixed everything mechanicaly wrong with it. i started with motor mounts ( fixed by Dolla) rear hub bearings , pads , axels , alternator , battery. The alernator went right after i decided to power wash my engine bay. i know it was a bad idea not to cover the alternator and thats what caused it to go but a few days later after the new installed 1 i got a CEL for the infamous P0420 precat failure code so i figured ok ill just order the Racingline precats and mine as well just throw a y-pipe as well so just as im about to order them a week later i go to Autozone to double check that the code is still reading the precat failure code before i drop almost $800.00. it was but 0882 ( TCM Signal output low ) came up as well with the other code. the car would also start fine with the remote start but if i were to turn the key it would stall and shut off unless i stepped on the gas pedal. after doing some research i read that the P0882 could be from a weak battery or clogged cats. i also figured that since i kiled a alternator and the car ran just on the battery for about 50 miles i probably damaged it somehow and its never been changed since ive owned the car so i just replace it anyway figuring it might hurt the new alternator somehow and just 1 more thing to cross from the list. 1 week later im driving and noticed no CEL are showing and the car now starts just fine. my question is to you guys is do you think i still need precats or did somehow a weak battery caused all the codes to pop up like that? i know super soaking my engine bay did have something to do with some of that

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by CXJ Performance; 04-05-2011 at 08:31 PM.
CXJ Performance is offline   Send a private message to CXJ Performance Find more posts by CXJ Performance Add CXJ Performance to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #2

Official Member #: 1494

Reputation Level: 13
twisted1 is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
Default Re: My Car Is An Assho**

Kinda hard to read with all them run on sentences. I think by you hosing down your engine bay you could of shorted something out. I would first replace batt then reset ecu. You really just don't wanna guess around, and buy them expensive ass precats; not knowing what your problem is. Hate to say this..... Bring it to Nissan.
Stillen lip kit, black housed headlamps, 370z 18s, 350z 17's on drs, blue led fogs, aem wideband o2,apexi safcll, 75shot zex wet kit, skunk2 cans, custom y&b pipes, 3rd cat & resonator delete, magnaflow precats, nwp spacers, kn cai, and walbro 255 still in box. Dyno #s coming soon....
twisted1 is offline   Send a private message to twisted1 Find more posts by twisted1 Add twisted1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

I think the damage is done when you wet the alternator, you have to understand that on a CAN-BUS system , the entire ECU needs to see a certain voltage,

your drive by wire throttle body , TCM , MAP all HAVE to see a certian voltage or else it will throw codes like crazy and go into fail safe mode.

get a meter and check if you have 12.6 or more on the battery, then go to the alternator and check if that matches with the battery ,

make sure no radio or A/c is on on the intial check.

then keep the meter on the battery , and have someone turn on the lights, then the radio and a/c and see how far the voltage drops.

if its within 12 -11( if you have a sound system ) and doesnt drop below 10 then your good.

the system is charging and I would just throw the code reader on it again to make sure if all codes are clear.

do that before you drop $800 on some pre-cats...
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2011, 11:24 PM   Thread Starter #4

CXJ Performance will become famous soon enoughCXJ Performance will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

ok ill try that. i know my above post was a run on rant but i did buy and installed a new battery and alternator. is this to check for maybe a shortage?

CXJ Performance is offline   Send a private message to CXJ Performance Find more posts by CXJ Performance Add CXJ Performance to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
Premier Member

NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by coryxavier View Post
ok ill try that. i know my above post was a run on rant but i did buy and installed a new battery and alternator. is this to check for maybe a shortage?
here is what I went thru with my 5th gen maxima a couple of months ago,

I basically short the alternator, *optima red top for many years *

replace a new alternator , battery wasnt enough to charge anymore , drove it ,

got a new battery, did damage to that new alternator , got another one under warranty tho.

alternators and batterys are iffy , sometimes you replace one and the other goes bad even tho its brand new, I had to diagnose it with the meter to find out the optima battery WASNT charging since the voltage didnt match the output from the alternator.

after I got the new battery I check the voltage and notice a drop in the alternator, either I had a bad (new) alternator or the battery did some damage.

( I was leaning towards the alternator being faulty )

either way , after that both output was reading the way it should be.

remember all our electronics in our cars, windows , ecu , tranny is run by that voltage.

when I was low on the 5th gen , I had some BS ( SES ) light codes that had nothing to do with the engine itself..

I think the rear defrost switch stop working and some other codes, after I had change the alt and battery , the rear defrost switch work , window switch and the codes went away.
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2011, 11:43 PM   Thread Starter #6

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

ok ill meter it tomorrow. i'll count my blessings if i dont have to buy precats and can hopefully move onto my exterior mods. i just cant see having a tricked out car riding like shit lol

Old 04-06-2011, 12:12 AM   #7
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

^ it happens , just dont let your car hear you say what you type as the title..

I dunno about you but all my cars are really senstive... I bad mouth any of my gens and soemthing bound to go wrong.. I love my cars nomatter...

heres an example of my car I had

1994 Nissan Altima purchase new 1 owner by me.
car has been driven all over Florida and once to Houston.
car was boosted and stolen and stripped in 2000
car was put back togther and sat for 3 years
car was started up and finally was going to be sold in 2003
car drove around with me and when I handed the keys over to new owner.
car drove with new owner less than a block and a rod broke thru the block.
same orginal 94 motor I had driven all over FL, not the same motor that was boosted.
with 130 miles..

point in story ?
cars are senstive like women.

also before my alt went out on my 5th gen I had bad mouth it... NEVER AGAIN !!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:01 AM   Thread Starter #8

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

lol i hear you Nizmo. i have a rule of never sleeping with a chick in a car. something will always happen to it. like car crashes

NiZMo1o1 (04-06-2011)