Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:39 AM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 3888

Reputation Level: 8
mlkobefan is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Mounts, Rust, and Other Goodies

Hey guys, I bought my max last month with a 100k miles (automatic) and have been doing alot of maintenance to it.

1. While I was working on the car I noticed that my front and rear mounts are in really bad shape, but the passenger one isnt too bad. Now I do feel a slight bump when putting it from P to D/R which I guess is definetly caused by the worn mounts, but I also feel a slight bump when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. From what I have read the worn mounts can cause harsh shifting from 1st to 2nd and the D/R issue, but my question is can they affect shifting from 2nd to 3rd or is that the tranny? Also Is it necessary to go with oem mounts or are the ones from rock auto ones a good choice?

2. When I had the car jacked up while changing the brakes I noticed that the metal floor on the passenger side is rusted to shit and if I tap it I can get pieces to fall off What is my best option to fix this? Should I clean the area of rust, spray some anti rust paint and then rust proof the whole area? Im scared that the rust will eat away enough at the floor that I will have a hole in the passenger seating area

3. Just curious, the engine doesn't rattle (timing chain is good) but when the car is idling to about 4th gear I notice that the engine makes a high whining sound when accelerating. If i give it a lot of gas the whine goes away and the deep sound of the engine is heard. My 3rd gen Altima does it slightly, but not as loud as this one so im not sure if its an issue or if that just the natural sound.

Sorry about the long post, just trying to get some questions answered. I hate having to drop so much money into maintenance (tires, brakes and rotors, the issues above, etc) when I could be spending it on mods! but I guess its expected when buying a used car

Argentina to NJ to PA
mlkobefan is offline   Send a private message to mlkobefan Find more posts by mlkobefan Add mlkobefan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Mounts, Rust, and Other Goodies

It's possible to feel hard shifts between higher fears with bad mounts. Depends on the RPMs I'm guessing.

No idea on the rust thing, I don't have experience with that. Sounds like your idea would work.

These VQs can whine a little, my guess is what you're describing is normal.

Bump anyone???

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2012, 12:59 AM   Thread Starter #3
Official Member

Default Re: Mounts, Rust, and other goodies

Thanks for your response. Its almost a constant thing from 2nd to 3rd regardless of the RPM, I even feel it with the slightest acceleration into 3rd (~2500 RPM) I havent really "ripped it" haha so I cant say how it shifts over 4k RPM.

Argentina to NJ to PA
mlkobefan is offline   Send a private message to mlkobefan Find more posts by mlkobefan Add mlkobefan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
Executive Member

Official Member #: 1924

Reputation Level: 24
Latinmaxima is on a distinguished road

Visit Latinmaxima's Facebook Visit Latinmaxima's PS3 Profile Visit Latinmaxima's YouTube Visit Latinmaxima's Xbox Gamercard

Start with the mounts since you know its an issue.

You idea for the floor is fine. Just make sure when you sand the rust off you give yourself a few inches around as well and make sure you don't have any low spots. Then prime it and paint or some just rhino line it.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
Quicksilver

Official Member #: 138

Reputation Level: 50
RAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

That is so strange to hear that the floor board/s of a 7 year old Maxima are rusting out to the point where you can break it off. That usually happens on a 50 year old car, shows the quality. Anyway, the best solution to that is to cut that floor out, go more then where its rusted so you are in good metal area and weld a new floor, see if the dealer sells such a thing, if not you will have to fabricate it. If you don't, it will spread.

The shifting issue, from experience, I think its your transmission going out, not mounts but I could be wrong.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:25 AM   Thread Starter #6
Official Member

Alright thanks guys. I will do the mounts asap, but the rear is a pita to get to and i dont have a jack to jack up the engine and trans so it looks like i'm going to have to pay a mecahnic to do it for me

And raz, yeah its really weird that an 05 max would have such an issue. I guess the coating wasnt properly applied at the factory. Im gonna do what I said above, and if it ever gets worse I will have to weld in a new piece of metal.

Argentina to NJ to PA
Old 01-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by mlkobefan View Post
Alright thanks guys. I will do the mounts asap, but the rear is a pita to get to and i dont have a jack to jack up the engine and trans so it looks like i'm going to have to pay a mecahnic to do it for me

And raz, yeah its really weird that an 05 max would have such an issue. I guess the coating wasnt properly applied at the factory. Im gonna do what I said above, and if it ever gets worse I will have to weld in a new piece of metal.
Look for a product called "POR-15". It will seal the metal and allow you a paintable surface. Just use it per the instructions on the can.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
Executive Member

Official Member #: 1924

Reputation Level: 24
Latinmaxima is on a distinguished road

Visit Latinmaxima's Facebook Visit Latinmaxima's PS3 Profile Visit Latinmaxima's YouTube Visit Latinmaxima's Xbox Gamercard

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
Look for a product called "POR-15". It will seal the metal and allow you a paintable surface. Just use it per the instructions on the can.
Very good product! Definitely your best option. I couldn't remember the name earlier. You may also want to check for other damage under the car. Seems to me if it got that bad they probably ran over something that scraped the hell out of that side and could have done other damage.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:46 PM   Thread Starter #9
Official Member

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
Okay thanks I will definetly look into it! The rest of the under carriage looks solid, its just that area between the metal strip where the jack is placed and the exhaust on the passenger side that is completely rusted.

The oil pan and the pipe that carries coolant to the oil cooler is also rusted to the point where it might break through, but those are much easier fixes than the frame.

Argentina to NJ to PA
Old 01-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 1598

Reputation Level: 21
smittybizzle will become famous soon enough

Where was this car most of its life ?
smittybizzle is offline   Send a private message to smittybizzle Find more posts by smittybizzle Add smittybizzle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2012, 07:00 PM   Thread Starter #11
Official Member

Originally Posted by smittybizzle View Post
Where was this car most of its life ?
Upstate new york but still, its only 6 years old. My 1998 altima was also driven in upstate ny but never had a rust problem what so ever. Just bad quality I guess.

Argentina to NJ to PA
Dislikes: (1)
smittybizzle (01-06-2012)
Old 01-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #12
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 1598

Reputation Level: 21
smittybizzle will become famous soon enough

That sucks Nissan should have built these cars a little better .
smittybizzle is offline   Send a private message to smittybizzle Find more posts by smittybizzle Add smittybizzle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top