Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:09 AM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1646

Reputation Level: 11
emilbadal is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Motor Oil Leak

Hi guys and gals,

I read and searched about the oil leak through all of the threads but looks like they don't apply to my car's case of oil leakage. Simply put my car goes through a quart like a MOFO. 3 weeks ago I topped it up with oil and today it was a quart low. So here is some information that explains the issue:

1- I have changed the PCV valve and its hose lately(4 months ago)
2- I have changed the spark plugs (2 months ago)
3- Changed the oil and oil filter at the same time and also the oil cooler O-ring(it was leaking, I changed it twice until it sealed nicely and it's bone dry now)

Today I was determined to find the damn oil leak, so I jacked up the car took the tire out and looked underneath the engine (the whole engine sub frame is covered with oil) I looked at the pressure switch and it's not leaking. The steering hose however was soaking wet with oil and the oil was dropping on the U shape part of the anti-sway bar. I don't have any wet patches under my car but it's losing oil and it's getting on my nerves. I couldn't find the leaking part from underneath so I started to looking from top. logically it should be somewhere around the corner of the valve cover...and yes I have the timing ticking noise also. So my question is beside the valve cover, is there anything else in that top corner (that could leak oil) like a temperature switch or something like that? What do you guys think? what should I do?
emilbadal is offline   Send a private message to emilbadal Find more posts by emilbadal Add emilbadal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #2

Official Member #: 16375

Reputation Level: 0
maxx22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Motor Oil Leak

You need to replace your timing chain and guides. No matter what you do the car will leak oil.
maxx22 is offline   Send a private message to maxx22 Find more posts by maxx22 Add maxx22 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2015, 03:22 AM   Thread Starter #3
Official Member

Do u mean even after changing the timing tensioners and servicing the engine it will still leak?
emilbadal is offline   Send a private message to emilbadal Find more posts by emilbadal Add emilbadal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2015, 11:44 AM   #4

Official Member #: 16375

maxx22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Once you get the guide and tensioners fixed, your problem is fixed.
maxx22 is offline   Send a private message to maxx22 Find more posts by maxx22 Add maxx22 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2015, 10:17 PM   Thread Starter #5
Official Member

I had the timing chain tensioner service done aaaaand still the question remains? where does a quart of oil go in 1000 miles? it's absolutely amazing, the amount of oil that is disappearing in my car!!! I am definitely sure it's not burning oil(just to be very clear) I have taken off spark plugs, O2 Sensors, Cats and inspected them, no oil burning trace is there! When the timing chain service was done a big area of the timing chain area was resealed with new RTV gasket makers and the job was done really good. But still the timing chain service didn't make a dent on the oil loss in my engine! Has anyone have found a black hole somewhere in their engine bay? I mean there is no oil mark on my garage floor. where is the oil going? please someone help...
Old 06-28-2015, 07:11 AM   #6
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Does your ride has blue smoke ! Might be the piston rings . I would have a compressor pressure test .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2015, 02:24 PM   Thread Starter #7
Official Member

No blue smoke at all
Old 06-28-2015, 02:30 PM   #8
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Get some engine cleaner & cleanup the engine & tranny & check later on for leaks .
You might have some crank seal leak also . Any valve cover leaks also ! @ sparkplugs caps & valva cover gaskets !
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2016, 06:41 PM   #9

Official Member #: 17534

Rocinante is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you ever find out where the oil was going?
Rocinante is offline   Send a private message to Rocinante Find more posts by Rocinante Add Rocinante to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top