Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:22 AM   Thread Starter #1
Connecticut's Prestige 6th Gen

my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 82

Reputation Level: 25
CXJ Performance will become famous soon enoughCXJ Performance will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Motor And CVT Tranny In 05'

ok ive been thinking about this and maybe Nizsmo could chime.

ive been putting off the dreaded timing chain rattle for sometime now and when my tranny goes out ive been think why spend the money for a timing chain fix when my car has 100,000+ miles on it when you could grab these engines for $800 from a 07 -08 with around 30 t0 60,000 miles all day long on ebay. the cvt tranny ive seen for about $1000 to $1500 as well. i plan on keeping this car and before i drop 3 to 4gs on a down payment for a new car with more monthly payments why not just invest into this one. my question is are the mounting points the same for the engine and tranny? and is this even possible as a drop and go deal

Click the image to open in full size.
CXJ Performance is offline   Send a private message to CXJ Performance Find more posts by CXJ Performance Add CXJ Performance to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Default Re: Motor And CVT Tranny In 05'

I can honestly say that im not 100% sure about the CVT mounts and 5AT mounts would be the same, Ive only worked on one 2008 Maxima and all I did was lower it.( TamarcSL1 )

I did not look under the hood but im pretty sure there isnt much that changed.
Even with my 6spd sway the bolts holes where their for the mounts. same chassis , what would probally be the only issue is you would need the 07-08 ECU , TCM and have the dealer re-chip it for your keyfob.

im not sure if the harness from the A34(A) would be the same Plug N Play for A34(B) thats something that you may need to research and look into.

I see your trying to make the right choice , altho these motors run very good even at high mileage , my buddy has a VQ30DE that has about 180XXX and its still running strong.

Price for timming chain FIX VS a new motor = well this could break out even depending if you have a person that can do the chain for you at a decent price , even if the dealer cost $600 to repair it VS purchasing a new motor $800 your still going to need to drop the motor in.

I dont know what they charged up there to *pull* a motor out , but we charged $500 to just *pull* the motor out.

replacing it is another story.. Also if you were planning to say build the motor (Mild built as in - ) replace to some HR headgasket or even cosworth or around those brands.

then yes it would be ideal to have another motor on the side done , then drop it in , if your not looking to go fast or break into the motor itself, your going to end up spending money that route your going.

I say just find a 06 Tranny , have a Valve body installed and freshen it up
Purchase the timming chain guides from like rock auto or something.

and just pay 1 guy to do the timming chain and install the new tranny.

your down time should be no less than 3 days.
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2011, 02:33 PM   Thread Starter #3

CXJ Performance will become famous soon enoughCXJ Performance will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

why the 06 tranny? im lost to that.

the cheapest ive been quoted for a timing chain fix was 1,200 which isnt bad. to be honest i cant even tell how much miles is on my engine because of the speedo swaps ive done lol. im probably close to the 150,000 mark now and while the engine is still strong i still dont think it to fix a motor with this many miles.

a new motor is a definate must but while its in surgery on a lift why not just go all out and dont worry about another timing chain problem nor a tranny one.

im not into pulling track runs or racing. im going for reliability. so for 3-4gs for a spruce up or the same amount for a lower mile upgrade.

i have the 645i which is great but i do like this car alot and dont really care for the newer 7th gen at all

CXJ Performance is offline   Send a private message to CXJ Performance Find more posts by CXJ Performance Add CXJ Performance to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2011, 03:12 AM   #4
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Lets break this down in senerio's with a budget in mind :

you already have a 05 that has a tranny cooler already , the 06 had the lesser of the issues than the 04's

and you have a timming chain guide issue.

here is a rough price on the items

http://www.courtesyparts.com/13085-g...4-p-88620.html
$10.77
http://www.courtesyparts.com/13086-g...-p-193953.html
$13.42

These also may be bad and there is two of them
http://www.courtesyparts.com/13070a-...4-p-88615.html
$66.05
x2

Total $154 (even)

Heres a thread/pricing for the transgo rebuilt kit

http://forums.maxima.org/7522453-post153.html

give or take I see about $120 - $800

So for about $900 you should have your parts.

again I dont know what the prices up there are charging but im sure someone on this fourm knows someone in your local area that knows a mechanic that will do this for you for half the price as mention above.

now back to your statement , dropping a new motor isnt the issue , is converting the CVT tranny + harness , ECU thats involeded.

I cant say how much work is needed because again I never worked on a CVT maxima before , as far as that goes , it could be a simple swap , or you may run into issues.

if the swap requires the ECU to be swapped that means you need Nissan to Re-program your KeyFob and thats $300 bucks

by the time your doing your WAY over $4gs going that route,

again there may not be that many shops in CT , but if you ever visit South FL , there is nothing but shops on every corner that would do the job for you for half the price.

just because these guys need the business they will do it, Im just looking out at your best intrest. im like the Geico lizzard....

but if you made up your mind and already did the homework and really cant find any mechanic to do that job for lesser, then I say go for what you attend to do.

thats just my 2cent !

Ya DIG ?!
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2011, 10:17 AM   Thread Starter #5

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

lol

you maybe right.

i guess it might be worth hitting dollar up to see if he can to the tensioner job and trying someone out for the transgo kit

Old 03-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
The Go To Guy

Official Member #: 59

Reputation Level: 27
Mr DoLLa has a spectacular aura aboutMr DoLLa has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

The way I c it is goin with the 06 tranny. They have the better valvebody n a lot less issues. Ur car is a 5AT so everything is straight plug n play n b cheaperr. Goin CVT is a lot more reliable but theres a lot more parts ur gonna need beside jus a tranny. TCM, Mounts n harness cuz they r different. U might also need axles. If u but an engine, it has to b a 07 cuz of the harness n also 07-08 do not have the EGR. Theres a lot to consider. Do some homework b 4 u buy parts n as always we're her to help.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:42 PM   Thread Starter #7

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

Sure will but i think im going to go full forward with this. grabbing the cvt tranny within a couple of months and the engine in the summer. im sure i can get the harnesses needed. but i want to keep this car alot longer and just drop the cash for it.

Last edited by CXJ Performance; 03-01-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:38 PM   Thread Starter #8

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

ok ive found this

$1,100 for the 07-08 engine w 47k

$1,000 for the cvt tranny

$164 for the ecu with a key

$75.00 for the tcu

i sure i could find a online junk yard for harnesses

im at $2,339 for parts so far. ive seen threads about switching to the 6spd tranny but thats not a route i want to take.

and if i would have to spend another 500 for the harnesses or pay someone for install im still near the $4g mark

Old 03-03-2011, 04:48 PM   Thread Starter #9

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

now timing chain repair is qouted at $1,000 for parts and labor on a high miled motor

tranny rebuild is $1,200 and problem still may occur.

im probably gonna save 2gs in parts and labor but ive read way to many storys of people going in 2 to 3 times for a tranny. so the saving now will catch up later

the route im hoping for provides me with

1) a lower miled engine thats not prone to that god damn rattle

2) a built proof tranny

my fear is with the motor being so old that once you start tearing things down to fix a worn motor. next will be gaskets , seals and other worn parts later.

at least i know from my tested version of the engine im good until 200k on the next run but that may be years later plus the fact that i sitting on a trouble free tranny as well.

id rather spend the money if i have it to advoid costly repairs on fixing a beat up tranny or motor and just drop complete units

but i really need your help Nizmo and yours as well to Dolla. you guys know these cars and i have made break thrus with them. help me do that as well

i dont need another car payment for the amount i could use to extend the life of this one for without spending another 18g's for a new car. feel me

Last edited by CXJ Performance; 03-03-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:13 AM   Thread Starter #10

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...5at-cvt-2.html

fuck it!!!

i guess im going to be rebuilding the tranny when the time comes and just go ahead with fixing the timing chain issues

Old 03-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #11

Official Member #: 1767

Reputation Level: 0
rjaime is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Originally Posted by coryxavier View Post

fuck it!!!

i guess im going to be rebuilding the tranny when the time comes and just go ahead with fixing the timing chain issues
Hate when that happens.. Im always coming up with things I want to do but then I really think about it and go a different route because its cheaper. And down the road something happens and I end up doing what I had planned on in the 1st place so its not cheaper in the long run, guess what Im tryn to say is go with ur 1st thought its usually rt.. Well at least mine are. And I finally realized it ..
rjaime is offline   Send a private message to rjaime Find more posts by rjaime Add rjaime to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #12
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by coryxavier View Post

fuck it!!!

Cory,

Nissan is giving us CVT owners a 120K mile warranty...I don't think they would be offering that if the CVT's were crap. It seems to be a very solid transmission.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:47 PM   Thread Starter #13

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

other things arised to make me think it this wont work because of the ecu. if it envolves that smart key and other options the 04-06 dont have

Old 03-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #14

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
Cory,

Nissan is giving us CVT owners a 120K mile warranty...I don't think they would be offering that if the CVT's were crap. It seems to be a very solid transmission.
True in deed.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2011, 12:32 PM   Thread Starter #15

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

i gotta look more into it. peer pressure is a bitch