Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:59 AM   Thread Starter #1
Glendales Official 6th Gen
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2651

Reputation Level: 36
Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Visit Kenny's PS3 Profile Visit Kenny's Xbox Gamercard
Default Just My Luck, Shifting Problems!

Okay guys, so I've just about had it with this 350z and the problems it's giving me.
Now I REALLY regret giving away my maxima and I'm inches from tears blowing out from all the shit thats happening to me.

So I needed my car so I took it out of the body shop for today (it's getting painted) luckily they didn't start yet and just a few minutes ago I decide to go on a drive because I'm beyond stressed.

So as I get in my car I was parked on the street and I put the car in reverse (6 speed manual) and the piece of shit wouldn't get into reverse, so I turn the car off, turn it back on and it went into reverse with a grinding sound. So I ignore it for a bit then I head to the gas station and I pump the car with gas and put it in reverse to back out from the gas pump and it would hesitate to get into reverse again, it's not the first time I put the car in reverse so I can't blame my experience. I finally get it into reverse and head to the freeway. On the freeway I started hearing a loud noise and I pull over (3:20 am) in the middle of the freeway emergency lane and I notice my tire is dead flat, my car does not have a spare tire because I'm in the middle of my system build so I took it out. So I run in the car searching for my wallet and it's nowhere to be found. So I could not call triple A, I kept calling and calling my girlfriend, my friends, my mom and my bro and NO ONE ANSWERED, so I get desperate and call 911 so chp comes and they call a tow truck (got a nice little fee along with it). They drop the car off at my house but I had to park my car outside so I move it from my driveway to my sidewalk, I turned the heater on to defrost my windows and my car makes a super loud squealing sound when I put it in first and the squealing disappeared right when I turned the heater off. I turned the heater on again put it in first again and it made the squealing noise, I turned off the heater immediately and the squealing went away.

My car has been nothing but problems, and I don't mean to sound like a weenie but I'm seriously on the verge of blowing out in tears and giving up. So much shit happened to me tonight and I'm about to quit my job and school is coming up and my car is THE ONLY transportation I have to school and I start in 4 weeks. I seriously feel so weak and helpless and stressed out to the extreme, I've never in my life felt like this before, can someone PLEASE help me and tell me what's wrong with my car.
I have no time for jokes guys please I'm desperate :"""""(

@CXJ Performance , can you help me diagnose what's going on here.

1)won't shift into reverse easily, and when it does it grinds a little even if the clutch is all the way in
2)squealing noise coming from heater being on and being driven

I'd rather hear that I need a new clutch then a new transmission so I'm praying to god its not AS bad.

If anyone else can help please help, I'm extremely desperate and at this point my luck has brought me to my knees making me raise the white flag :""(

Follow Me On Instagram/Twitter:@0mg350z

Last edited by Kenny; 08-01-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
Connecticut's Prestige 6th Gen

Official Member #: 82

Reputation Level: 25
CXJ Performance will become famous soon enoughCXJ Performance will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

Default Re: Just My Luck, Shifting Problems!

The 350z's are known for the gear syncros going bad on them. Unfortunately the course of repair is a transmission replacement.- sorry

For the squeeling noise. I would check that my belts are tight and not worn. My first step would to replace them if they havent been replaced already. If so then look for a sound at the alternator which could be a bad bearing and then proceed to the compressor to check for leaks and noises.

Click the image to open in full size.
CXJ Performance is offline   Send a private message to CXJ Performance Find more posts by CXJ Performance Add CXJ Performance to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2012, 07:27 AM   Thread Starter #3

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by CXJ Performance View Post
The 350z's are known for the gear syncros going bad on them. Unfortunately the course of repair is a transmission replacement.- sorry

For the squeeling noise. I would check that my belts are tight and not worn. My first step would to replace them if they havent been replaced already. If so then look for a sound at the alternator which could be a bad bearing and then proceed to the compressor to check for leaks and noises.

So the clutch isn't the problem? I was reading something about gear linkage could be loose or something like that. Worst case scenario if I had to replace the tranny, do you do installs? What would be your labor fee (I would include gas for coming and going to los angeles) and if it were the linkage how much would you charge for that?

I'll have my grandpa or dad check out my belts I hope it's not the ac compressor.

If you can give me quotes on prices you would charge for labor IF you were willing to help me out it would be nice, you can pm me if you'd like. I'd rather have someone here do it for me then a mechanic I don't trust, I don't have ANY mechanics at all that I can trust

Last edited by Kenny; 08-01-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #4

CXJ Performance will become famous soon enoughCXJ Performance will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

I would help but I am in CT for the next few months. You should be able to get your tranny fixed for around $1,200 to $1,500

CXJ Performance is offline   Send a private message to CXJ Performance Find more posts by CXJ Performance Add CXJ Performance to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2012, 07:34 AM   Thread Starter #5

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by CXJ Performance View Post
I would help but I am in CT for the next few months. You should be able to get your tranny fixed for around $1,200 to $1,500
Is that with parts or just labor?

Old 08-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #6

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

that should cover the entire job out the door

Old 08-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
Executive Member

Official Member #: 1924

Reputation Level: 24
Latinmaxima is on a distinguished road

Visit Latinmaxima's Facebook Visit Latinmaxima's PS3 Profile Visit Latinmaxima's YouTube Visit Latinmaxima's Xbox Gamercard

Sorry to just read this man. Definitely sounds like a synchro issue. Hope you find a reasonable replacement.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Honorable Ride  

This sucks!! Where did you get this car from?

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 74
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Kenny,
I understand your frustration.

I am not going to berate you and say I told you so. I am not going to say you should have been a little wiser and have the Z checked out more thoroughly before getting rid of the Maxima. I'm not going to tell you, you are a young nineteen year old who gets restless and easily bored and wants a fast sports car to impress his friends and anyone else who will look at you driving down the highway. I want tell you, you should have saved some of that money for your future instead of spending money on paint and a sound system when the car needed so much mechanical work.

I want tell you these things because you will get on the defensive. You don't want to hear this.

Kenny, everyone likes a nice car. Your nineteen, a student and you have a job. That says a lot, but it does not necessarily put you in the financial category to own a high maintenance sports car .

The bottom line:

You obviously are going to need some work done to this Machine. Cory is too far away to help you. Find some local members who can recommend a trusted shop to diagnose and give you quotes to fix all your problems. Going to the dealer may be an option to at least find out what all needs to be done.

If you plan to keep this Machine, first get it in mechanically sound shape. If money is left over, then do your Mods.

Don't throw good money after bad.

If this is a failure, get out.

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
Poetic Max

Official Member #: 2199

Reputation Level: 35
Kontra-vers-E will become famous soon enoughKontra-vers-E will become famous soon enough

Visit Kontra-vers-E's Facebook Visit Kontra-vers-E's PS3 Profile

KayG, I SOMEWHAT agree with what Thunder is saying, but to the fact of, this is a learning experience. We all made/make mistakes at young ages (not saying you did anything wrong) and we learn from them, that's how we grow.

Plenty of people on the org have bought Maxs (other cars as well) and the transmission went bad, so it's not your fault that this car has it's issues. Simply learn from this so when you purchase your next vehicle that you do a more thorough inspection on it to insure you have made a good choice.

Right now, as Thunder has stated, get some references from other members on trusted mechanics in your area.

Side note though, you're in school KayG and you don't need to be making a lot of changes until you graduate unless the are necessary. Meaning, next time you get a good car that runs well, don't trade it out just because you want a new car. Not coming down on you, just giving you a lil old man wisdom. One day you're going to get married and have kids, you're going to have to make sound decision, and venturing into a car that is an unknown factor while have a car that runs well is not a good idea. Not judging you or coming down on you buddy, just offering some guidance.

Greatness in the making...
Kontra-vers-E is offline   Send a private message to Kontra-vers-E Find more posts by Kontra-vers-E Add Kontra-vers-E to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #11

Official Member #: 4814

Reputation Level: 9
Black07Maxi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey man, everything will work out. If it feels like the worst day of your life. Remember it's just one day. Make tomorrow better. What i always say is....
If there is a problem you can't fix turn to Philippians 4:6. (look it up)

and also find local members in ur area and ask where they take their cars to...

It'll work out and soon you'll be back to your old young self...just take it one step at a time. You can do it!!!

DFW check out my website for dipping rims and cars! http://wrapcitycardippz.webs.com/
Kontra-vers-E (08-01-2012)
Black07Maxi is offline   Send a private message to Black07Maxi Find more posts by Black07Maxi Add Black07Maxi to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2012, 02:30 PM   Thread Starter #12

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Thanks a lot for the wise words guys I really appreciate it.

But I think all this is happening because of karma that I left my max .
When I got this car my dad paid a Nissan mechanic to check out the car everything turned out fine except for an abs pump that needed replacing, he scanned the whole car and it wasn't throwing codes and checked it up and down, it's like all the problems happened in one night, that's why I went ahead and started painting It and modding it or else I would of put my priorities first.

As for now I'm going to take it to the mechanic that fixed my abs pump, if it's my transmission I'm going to be taking the bus to school because I cant afford that right now.
This sucks so bad NEVER in my entire years of living have I had problems with a car and this time all the worst problems happened at once, what's weird is that it just happened and never gave me any warning signs or noises that it was going to happen

Old 08-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

You may not understand this now,but this is a life lesson. Some times things dont go the way we planned. You'll get thru this and use what youve learned in the future. Im sure you dont need me to tell you this,Im sure youre father already has. I cant help it though, Ive been a dad for what seems like forever.

Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #14
Executive Member

Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by kaygmaxima View Post
Thanks a lot for the wise words guys I really appreciate it.

But I think all this is happening because of karma that I left my max .
When I got this car my dad paid a Nissan mechanic to check out the car everything turned out fine except for an abs pump that needed replacing, he scanned the whole car and it wasn't throwing codes and checked it up and down, it's like all the problems happened in one night, that's why I went ahead and started painting It and modding it or else I would of put my priorities first.

As for now I'm going to take it to the mechanic that fixed my abs pump, if it's my transmission I'm going to be taking the bus to school because I cant afford that right now.
This sucks so bad NEVER in my entire years of living have I had problems with a car and this time all the worst problems happened at once, what's weird is that it just happened and never gave me any warning signs or noises that it was going to happen
Kenny, Let's recap and review your statements:

1. The karma issue. CRAP

2. Kenny your first priorities WERE to paint and mod the car. CRAP.

3. Taking the bus to school. NOT CRAP. WISE CHOICE.

4. In all your life this is the worst problems you have ever encountered with a car. CRAP. Exactly how many cars have you owned?

5.The problems came on without warning. CRAP. That's life (just like a heart attack)

I believe all the advice I have given you in the past would fill up a novel. I think I'll go back and research all the threads you have created along with all my advice and publish it as "The Kenny Files- The First Nineteen Years "A horror story by Thundershott.

Kenny, you know I only wish you the best. Everything will eventually work out for the best. You will laugh about this one day, just not today.

Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Latinmaxima (08-01-2012)
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #15
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Come on...who here can say anything bad about Thunder?? He has some of the best advice and the way he words it is always very well done!!

Thundershott (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 04:09 PM   Thread Starter #16

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by Thundershott View Post
Kenny, Let's recap and review your statements:

1. The karma issue. CRAP

2. Kenny your first priorities WERE to paint and mod the car. CRAP.

3. Taking the bus to school. NOT CRAP. WISE CHOICE.

4. In all your life this is the worst problems you have ever encountered with a car. CRAP. Exactly how many cars have you owned?

5.The problems came on without warning. CRAP. That's life (just like a heart attack)

I believe all the advice I have given you in the past would fill up a novel. I think I'll go back and research all the threads you have created along with all my advice and publish it as "The Kenny Files- The First Nineteen Years "A horror story by Thundershott.

Kenny, you know I only wish you the best. Everything will eventually work out for the best. You will laugh about this one day, just not today.

The only reason I made my priorities modding my car is because I knew after getting the abs pump fixed there were no problems left in the car to my knowledge, both mechanics I took the car too said the engine was in great condition so not once did I think they could be wrong, I guess it is a life lesson..to save my money for more important things, if you do make a novel about me and it sells...will you buy me a new car?

Old 08-01-2012, 04:11 PM   Thread Starter #17

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by 07maximan View Post
You may not understand this now,but this is a life lesson. Some times things dont go the way we planned. You'll get thru this and use what youve learned in the future. Im sure you dont need me to tell you this,Im sure youre father already has. I cant help it though, Ive been a dad for what seems like forever.
I know I'm slowly learning to pains of growing up, I'm just glad I don't have kids or else that would of added extra stress ! Blah this life lesson sucks

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

@thundershott, I've had 3 different cars if it matters since you asked

Old 08-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #18
Poetic Max

Kontra-vers-E will become famous soon enoughKontra-vers-E will become famous soon enough

Kenny, don't look at life in such a negative light man, it'll make you a bitter person that people don't want to be around. Going to drop some knowledge on you now, you know the society we live in, so remember the things I'm about to say is how society (media, majority, advertisement) views things.

I grew up a young black male, welfare recipient, homeless, GED, with no father figure. By society's standards, I should have failed, I should be working in somewhere working in someone's warehouse, living in the projects, doing nothing but populating the world, smoking, and drinking. Had I let society layout my life for me, that's what I would have been doing.

But I looked at life differently, I picked myself up, went to college, I worked at some major companies (Pepsi, JVC, Pitney Bowes, Bell & Howell) as a Technician, I bought a house, I got married and had two beautiful sons.

My point is, have a positive outlook on life, it changes your steps in life and that positive energy draws positive things to happen to you. It keeps you from going into depression and good people will be drawn to you. Things always seem rough when you're going through them, but anything that doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Just by you owning a Maxima @ 19 is a big accomplishment to me, when I was your age, I HAD to take the bus. You have a lot of good things going for you man, you even have the family here that gives you good advice, I didn't have that when I was your age, nor did I have a father, but I'm doing just fine and so will you sir.

Kontra-vers-E is offline   Send a private message to Kontra-vers-E Find more posts by Kontra-vers-E Add Kontra-vers-E to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2012, 04:40 PM   Thread Starter #19

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by Kontra-vers-E View Post
Kenny, don't look at life in such a negative light man, it'll make you a bitter person that people don't want to be around. Going to drop some knowledge on you now, you know the society we live in, so remember the things I'm about to say is how society (media, majority, advertisement) views things.

I grew up a young black male, welfare recipient, homeless, GED, with no father figure. By society's standards, I should have failed, I should be working in somewhere working in someone's warehouse, living in the projects, doing nothing but populating the world, smoking, and drinking. Had I let society layout my life for me, that's what I would have been doing.

But I looked at life differently, I picked myself up, went to college, I worked at some major companies (Pepsi, JVC, Pitney Bowes, Bell & Howell) as a Technician, I bought a house, I got married and had two beautiful sons.

My point is, have a positive outlook on life, it changes your steps in life and that positive energy draws positive things to happen to you. It keeps you from going into depression and good people will be drawn to you. Things always seem rough when you're going through them, but anything that doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Just by you owning a Maxima @ 19 is a big accomplishment to me, when I was your age, I HAD to take the bus. You have a lot of good things going for you man, you even have the family here that gives you good advice, I didn't have that when I was your age, nor did I have a father, but I'm doing just fine and so will you sir.

Wow I'm speechless...that means a lot bro it honestly does and it gives me the idea that people really are there for me, as of now I'm afraid to even touch my car bro but I'm trying to look at it in a positive aspect so I don't drive myself insane, hopefully I find a quick solution for this dilemma I'm having bro, and may god bless you for the support you ALWAYS give me, I'm glad you didn't take the easy way out in life and life has rewarded you with beautiful kids and a healthy lifestyle, you're honestly a heroic symbol in my book, because if you had the power to get yourself back into the game then I'm sure I can find that same power, thanks a lot bro

Old 08-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #20
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Wait...youre black??

Old 08-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #21
Poetic Max

Originally Posted by 07maximan View Post

Wait...youre black??
HELL NO!!! I'm an Asian man with a great tan and kinky hair.

07maximan (08-01-2012), Latinmaxima (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #22
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

HELL NO!!! I'm an Asian man with a great tan and kinky hair.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #23
Executive Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

The only reason I made my priorities modding my car is because I knew after getting the abs pump fixed there were no problems left in the car to my knowledge, both mechanics I took the car too said the engine was in great condition so not once did I think they could be wrong, I guess it is a life lesson..to save my money for more important things, if you do make a novel about me and it sells...will you buy me a new car?
Yes I will. A 1980's Yugo

And you will never complain about a car again.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:11 PM   Thread Starter #24

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by Thundershott View Post
Yes I will. A 1980's Yugo

And you will never complain about a car again.

Does it bring chrome pillars?

I'm only kidding lol

Latinmaxima (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #25
Poetic Max

Does it bring chrome pillars?

I'm only kidding lol

I think you just got Thunder on that one.

Kenny (08-01-2012)