Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:56 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 5229

Reputation Level: 0
rpsuprdave is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Injectors, Fuel Pump, or Something Else?

Hello all,
I have a strange noise too. Mine is a 2006. At first, I suspected the timing chain, but I'm pretty sure that's not it. The noise doesn't exist when cold, and pretty much doesn't exists when it's warm.... until you cut the engine, wait a few minutes, and then start it up warm. At that point, you can hear AND feel the noise. It does not sound like timing chain noise. I can feel it on the steering wheel and on the floorboard. It definitely sounds and feels like it's coming from the driver's side. To prove it to myself, I took a 2 foot piece of molding from a remodeling job and started listening to various engine surfaces. As I listened, I was very impressed with the smooth, well engineered mechanics of my ride, but still was unable to find the noise. There was definitely no noise coming from the timing chain cover or area around it. Eventually, I determined that it was something to do with the fuel injectors or injector rails. There is a small bracket that mounts just behind or above the fuel pressure regulator. It attaches to the fuel lines that feed both rails. Here's a pic of where noise was detected.
Click the image to open in full size.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
RPSuprDave

Used Motorcycle Parts - RiderParts.com
rpsuprdave is offline   Send a private message to rpsuprdave Find more posts by rpsuprdave Add rpsuprdave to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 34
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Injectors, Fuel Pump, or Something Else?

Originally Posted by rpsuprdave View Post
Hello all,
I have a strange noise too. Mine is a 2006. At first, I suspected the timing chain, but I'm pretty sure that's not it. The noise doesn't exist when cold, and pretty much doesn't exists when it's warm.... until you cut the engine, wait a few minutes, and then start it up warm. At that point, you can hear AND feel the noise. It does not sound like timing chain noise. I can feel it on the steering wheel and on the floorboard. It definitely sounds and feels like it's coming from the driver's side. To prove it to myself, I took a 2 foot piece of molding from a remodeling job and started listening to various engine surfaces. As I listened, I was very impressed with the smooth, well engineered mechanics of my ride, but still was unable to find the noise. There was definitely no noise coming from the timing chain cover or area around it. Eventually, I determined that it was something to do with the fuel injectors or injector rails. There is a small bracket that mounts just behind or above the fuel pressure regulator. It attaches to the fuel lines that feed both rails. Here's a pic of where noise was detected.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
RPSuprDave

Used Motorcycle Parts - RiderParts.com
Dave its your Fuel damper assembly that's ticking.
Pn 22675-JA10A, you will also need a new O-ring. Pn 16618-JA10A.
Look into tsb
NTB07-010a
-=My Build Tread=-
rpsuprdave (08-25-2012)
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Poetic Max

Official Member #: 2199

Reputation Level: 35
Kontra-vers-E will become famous soon enoughKontra-vers-E will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Visit Kontra-vers-E's Facebook Visit Kontra-vers-E's PS3 Profile
Default Re: Injectors, fuel pump, or something else?

Originally Posted by Danski6MT View Post
Dave its your Fuel damper assembly that's ticking.
Pn 22675-JA10A, you will also need a new O-ring. Pn 16618-JA10A.
Look into tsb
NTB07-010a
Danski6MT for my6thgen.org Official Mechanic!!!

Greatness in the making...
Kontra-vers-E is offline   Send a private message to Kontra-vers-E Find more posts by Kontra-vers-E Add Kontra-vers-E to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
Burnt Orange

BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Kontra-vers-E View Post

Danski6MT for my6thgen.org Official Mechanic!!!
No titles Kontra, please. There is a lot of guys providing extensive technical support for other fellow members here. Quite often their technical information is dead on and I can speak for myself that I appreciate some things that were mentioned that I had no idea about. This is what its all about. Lets all work together and help one another. Making a title like that might make other guys feel discouraged from providing thair opinion or solution to a technical problem. I don't offer help for recognition but rather because I like to help out others and have access to all technical Data. When I provide technical help it feels different then as if I was in the shop. It lets me enjoy it for the helpful technical aspect of things and not my daily job that I need to do.
-=My Build Tread=-
1hawaii50 (07-28-2012), Kontra-vers-E (07-28-2012)
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
Poetic Max

Official Member #: 2199

Reputation Level: 35
Kontra-vers-E will become famous soon enoughKontra-vers-E will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Visit Kontra-vers-E's Facebook Visit Kontra-vers-E's PS3 Profile

Originally Posted by Danski6MT View Post
No titles Kontra, please. There is a lot of guys providing extensive technical support for other fellow members here. Quite often their technical information is dead on and I can speak for myself that I appreciate some things that were mentioned that I had no idea about. This is what its all about. Lets all work together and help one another. Making a title like that might make other guys feel discouraged from providing thair opinion or solution to a technical problem. I don't offer help for recognition but rather because I like to help out others and have access to all technical Data. When I provide technical help it feels different then as if I was in the shop. It lets me enjoy it for the helpful technical aspect of things and not my daily job that I need to do.
Agreed sir.

Greatness in the making...
BurntOrangeAppeal (07-28-2012)
Kontra-vers-E is offline   Send a private message to Kontra-vers-E Find more posts by Kontra-vers-E Add Kontra-vers-E to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2012, 11:00 AM   Thread Starter #6

Thanks for the help. Will order, install, and report my results.

RPSuprDave
BurntOrangeAppeal (07-29-2012)
rpsuprdave is offline   Send a private message to rpsuprdave Find more posts by rpsuprdave Add rpsuprdave to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2012, 10:19 AM   Thread Starter #7

Fuel dampers replaced! Engine is quiet at warm idle now! Normally you are required to remove the plenum and injector rails to that job. It requires a new plenum gasket, o-rings for the injectors, and o-rings for the new dampers.

It's not been that long since I changed my plugs, and I didn't want to pull everything off again, so I created a workaround. I bent a 10mm wrench for a little more hook on the box-end side. It worked!

If you are changing your plugs, go ahead and change the dampers too. Worth it!

Thanks BurntOrangeAppeal for your help,

Dave
BurntOrangeAppeal (08-25-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
Burnt Orange

Originally Posted by rpsuprdave View Post
Fuel dampers replaced! Engine is quiet at warm idle now! Normally you are required to remove the plenum and injector rails to that job. It requires a new plenum gasket, o-rings for the injectors, and o-rings for the new dampers.

It's not been that long since I changed my plugs, and I didn't want to pull everything off again, so I created a workaround. I bent a 10mm wrench for a little more hook on the box-end side. It worked!

If you are changing your plugs, go ahead and change the dampers too. Worth it!

Thanks BurntOrangeAppeal for your help,

Dave
Anytime Dave. Glad I could help & she's fixed :thumbup:
-=My Build Tread=-