Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:19 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2405

Reputation Level: 9
2damax is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Im Swaping My Engine Need Help

yea i know I should take it to a professinal but cash is low not to mention this will be the third engine. Ive been searching all over the net for write ups but cant seem to find any detailed ones. my main concern is how to get the Transmission off the engine and what can be left on the engine when its pulled. any help would be great i already got alot of stuff off the car all the way to the wire harness
Deleted Cat
Greddy Spectre Elite Exhaust
Drilled & Slotted Rotors
22" TSW Rims
2damax is offline   Send a private message to 2damax Find more posts by 2damax Add 2damax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 10

Default Re: Im Swaping My Engine Need Help

. @BurntOrangeAppeal might be able to give you some help..

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.

Last edited by officerfrasher; 12-21-2012 at 04:21 PM.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 2damax View Post
yea i know I should take it to a professinal but cash is low not to mention this will be the third engine. Ive been searching all over the net for write ups but cant seem to find any detailed ones. my main concern is how to get the Transmission off the engine and what can be left on the engine when its pulled. any help would be great i already got alot of stuff off the car all the way to the wire harness
Only because Im weak for that color.....

Please contribute to the site and become VIP and you will have axcess to all factory manuals,and detailed information and by the looks of things since you are doing engine R/R's you will need them sooner or later. If I understand your question about how to get the engine of the transmission, you need to Unbolt the torque converter bolts, remove the CKP, as well as the starter following by unbolting the transmission bellhousing bolts and separate the two.

Here is a list. Again, FSM Has a lot more detailed info and pictures

REMOVAL
1. Drain coolant. Refer to MA-14, "DRAINING ENGINE COOLANT" .
2. Remove the front cowl grille. Refer to EI-19, "Removal and Installation" .
3. Remove the windshield wiper assembly. Refer to WW-29, "Removal and
4. Disconnect engine room harness from the engine side and position it aside. Disconnect engine harness
ground connections. Access the connector through the glove box opening. Refer to IP-10, "INSTRUMENT
PANEL ASSEMBLY" .
5. Remove the hood. Refer to BL-13, "Removal and Installation of Hood Assembly" .
6. Remove the battery and battery tray. Refer to SC-9, "Removal and Installation" .
7. Remove the engine cover using power tool. Remove side engine covers.
8. Disconnect the mass air flow sensor electrical connector.
9. Remove the fresh air intake tube and air cleaner to electric throttle control actuator tube attached to air
cleaner lid. Refer to EM-15, "Removal and Installation" .
10. Disconnect two connectors below mass air flow sensor attached to the shock tower.
11. Release fuel pressure. Refer to EC-50, "FUEL PRESSURE RELEASE" .
12. Disconnect fuel hose quick connection at vehicle piping side. Refer to EM-39, "Removal and Installation" .
13. Remove and position aside the IPDM E/R and bracket and position aside. Refer to PG-26, "Removal and
Installation of IPDM E/R" .
14. Remove the radiator assembly, coolant reservoir, and system hoses. Refer to CO-10, "Removal and
Installation" .
15. Disconnect the power brake booster vacuum hose from the back of the intake manifold collector.
16. Disconnect heater hoses at the cowl.
17. Disconnect the two fusible link connectors at the battery positive terminal.
18. Disconnect the harness retainers and position the engine harness aside.
19. Remove the ground cable.
20. Remove the clutch operating cylinder with lines attached and position aside. Refer to CL-10, "Removal
and Installation" .
21. Drain engine oil. Refer to MA-16, "Changing Engine Oil" .
22. Drain A/T oil. Refer to MA-22, "Changing A/T Fluid" .
23. Drain M/T oil. Refer to MA-20, "Changing M/T Oil" .
24. Disconnect the transaxle shift controls. Refer to AT-265, "SHIFT CONTROL SYSTEM" (4 A/T) or AT-590,
"SHIFT CONTROL SYSTEM" (5 A/T).
25. Remove RH splash shield.
26. Remove the front wheel and tires.
27. Remove the drive belts. Refer to EM-14, "Removal and Installation" .
28. Remove the front exhaust tube and hanger using power tools. Refer to EX-3, "Removal and Installation" .
29. Remove engine oil cooler pipe bolts.
30. Remove the idler pulley and idler bracket.
31. Remove the engine undercover.
32. Remove the A/C compressor using power tools. Discharge and recover the R134a refrigerant. Refer to
ATC-116, "HFC-134a (R-134a) Service Procedure" .
33. Remove the front drive shafts. Refer to FAX-11, "Removal and Installation" .
34. Remove the front suspension member. Refer to FSU-15, "Removal and Installation" .
CAUTION:
Make sure to disconnect electrically controlled engine mounting insulator harness clips and
power steering line mounts from the front suspension member prior to removal.
35. Disconnect the power steering pressure switch.
36. Remove the power steering pump, without disconnecting the piping, from the engine and position and
secure it aside. Refer to PS-24, "Removal and Installation" .
37. Install engine slingers into front of left bank cylinder head and
rear of right bank cylinder head.
38. Secure a hoist to the engine slingers.
39. Remove the LH transaxle mount through bolt.
40. Remove the RH engine mounting insulator nuts and bolt.
41. Carefully lower the engine and transaxle assembly with the hoist avoiding interference with the vehicle
body.
CAUTION:
 Before and during this procedure, always check if any harnesses are left connected.
 Avoid any damage to, or any oil/grease smearing or spills onto the engine mounting insulators.

42. Remove the crankshaft position sensor (POS).
43. Remove the starter motor. Refer to SC-18, "M/T Models" , SC-18, "4-Speed A/T Models" or SC-19, "5-
Speed A/T Models" .
44. Disconnect the transmission electrical connectors, harness retainers and position harness aside.
45. Separate the engine and transaxle and mount the engine on a suitable engine stand.
SEM808G

As you can see you can remove the engine and transmission together as a unit and then separate them once on the ground..... its much easier this way. If you separate it before removing the engine then the transmission would only be supported by top tranny mount....which is NOT SAFE or good for the mount or your safety.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
trilla_one (10-13-2014)
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
Official Member

Official Member #: 2874

Reputation Level: 8
trilla_one is an unknown quantity at this point

Have any of you replaced the clutch yourselves? Contemplating it and wondering if i really need to pull the entire engine out. The steps above may take me a week without access to a lift and unlimited tools lol

Really cant afford $400 to $600 in labor right now.

"Every generation has to take its place in battling in the struggle for equality"

-Dr. Harry Thomas
trilla_one is offline   Send a private message to trilla_one Find more posts by trilla_one Add trilla_one to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top