Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:39 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 15806

Reputation Level: 0
cyrax is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Idle Pulley broke

Hello to all.
I searched the forums and all I could find was how to replace the belts so here I post.
About 3 Months ago I bought my 2008 Maxima. The Serpentine Belt (A/C, Alternator) was in a rather shoddy shape so I replaced it. Yesterday (~ 2K Miles later) the Idler Pulley decided to jump ship and came off while I was driving at ~40 mph. I heard a clump, a thump and that was it.

Now I am wondering a lot of things so I thought I'd ask you all for suggestions:
1. What made the Pulley to kick the bucket? Is it that I tightened the belt a bit too much?
2. What, if any, damage would this have caused? A visual inspection did not tell me much but I did drive home (~2 Miles) before I could check it.
3. Is this something I can fix myself with some basic tools? Would it be a weekend job?
4. Is this a job better left to a mechanic?
5. What would be parts that I need to buy from the dealership?

I've attached a pic of what's left. The bolt is wobbly at the moment.
I generally use this website for part numbers: http://parts.nissanusa.com/nissanpar...2537&siteid=14
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141125_135329.jpg (95.1 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by cyrax; 11-25-2014 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Added url for parts schematic
cyrax is offline   Send a private message to cyrax Find more posts by cyrax Add cyrax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2014, 06:47 PM   #2

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default Re: Idle Pulley broke

Originally Posted by cyrax View Post
Hello to all.
I searched the forums and all I could find was how to replace the belts so here I post.
About 3 Months ago I bought my 2008 Maxima. The Serpentine Belt (A/C, Alternator) was in a rather shoddy shape so I replaced it. Yesterday (~ 2K Miles later) the Idler Pulley decided to jump ship and came off while I was driving at ~40 mph. I heard a clump, a thump and that was it.

Now I am wondering a lot of things so I thought I'd ask you all for suggestions:
1. What made the Pulley to kick the bucket? Is it that I tightened the belt a bit too much?
2. What, if any, damage would this have caused? A visual inspection did not tell me much but I did drive home (~2 Miles) before I could check it.
3. Is this something I can fix myself with some basic tools? Would it be a weekend job?
4. Is this a job better left to a mechanic?
5. What would be parts that I need to buy from the dealership?

I've attached a pic of what's left. The bolt is wobbly at the moment.
I generally use this website for part numbers: http://parts.nissanusa.com/nissanpar...2537&siteid=14

Easy job at least in my opinion. I stripped the center nut on mines and ended up replacing it. But it didn't break off like yours. Mostly likely it was due to some over-tightening in your car. I replaced all my belts since I was installing a lighter pulley on it.

But you should be able to do it yourself. If you don't feel comfy. have a mechanic do it.

You can check my build thread on it with pics.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2014, 11:48 PM   Thread Starter #3

Official Member #: 15806

Reputation Level: 0
cyrax is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Idle Pulley broke

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
Easy job at least in my opinion. I stripped the center nut on mines and ended up replacing it. But it didn't break off like yours. Mostly likely it was due to some over-tightening in your car. I replaced all my belts since I was installing a lighter pulley on it.

But you should be able to do it yourself. If you don't feel comfy. have a mechanic do it.

You can check my build thread on it with pics.
Hmm I checked the pics on your list. Certainly will have to have a chat with the dealer for the exact parts as I am missing quite a few of these.
On another note do you have any reference material on how much tension should be really on the belt. All the videos I checked generally tell to take the feel of the tension in the belt before actually replacing it. In my case, that perhaps, won't be possible
cyrax is offline   Send a private message to cyrax Find more posts by cyrax Add cyrax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top

Tags
idle pulley, tensioner pulley

Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning