Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

Reply
ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 01:02 AM   Thread Starter #1
Newbie
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
Brandon1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Official Member #: 10955
Last Online: 02-28-2016 04:51 PM
Posts: 30

Reputation Level: 0
Brandon1023 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default I Believe My Timing Chain Tensioner Is Worn

Okay, well I have spent a few hours researching the topic and I believe my tensioner is bad, as my car has the dreaded whining sound along with a ticking. Most pointers direct me that way, so I took a video (mainly a sound recording) of the car at idle and going up to about 2,500 rpm. Obviously I'm going to have my mechanic check it out before my dad will give me money for parts -.-, but in the mean time, I just wanted to get some opinions here.

I'm aware this is not your average oil change, but I'm going to tackle this one head-on, because I have done a great deal of work to the car already and I have access to all the tools I will need in my garage. I know it could take me a few days, but we have another car here, so it's no biggie.

So with all that being said, I'd appreciate if someone could tell me if this whining sound is the tensioner.

Video on Photobucket.

Thanks in adv.
Brandon1023 is offline   Send a private message to Brandon1023 Find more posts by Brandon1023 Add Brandon1023 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
officerfrasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Official Member #: 1765
Last Online: 06-01-2018 10:32 AM
Location: Frankfort, KY 40601
Posts: 13,375

Reputation Level: 58
officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  


/ Point Value: 10

Supporting Family Member  


/ Point Value: 10

Official Ride  


/ Point Value: 10

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  


/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: I Believe My Timing Chain Tensioner Is Worn

Welcome! I see @Deadbolt got everything squared away for you.

As for the noise, I'm not sure. I haven't had the issue yet. I'm sure someone will be able to help you soon.
Likes: (1)
BurntOrangeAppeal (06-24-2013)
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2013, 01:13 AM   Thread Starter #3
Newbie
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
Brandon1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Official Member #: 10955
Last Online: 02-28-2016 04:51 PM
Posts: 30

Reputation Level: 0
Brandon1023 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: I Believe My Timing Chain Tensioner Is Worn

Haha, yes. He got it all straightened out for me. I'll be looking forward to posting on here. The FSMs are wonderful and definitely worth it.
Likes: (1)
BurntOrangeAppeal (06-24-2013)
Brandon1023 is offline   Send a private message to Brandon1023 Find more posts by Brandon1023 Add Brandon1023 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
Newbie
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
chrisNYLI516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Official Member #: 4597
Last Online: 10-17-2013 08:09 PM
Location: Strong.Island
Posts: 41

Reputation Level: 0
chrisNYLI516 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: I Believe My Timing Chain Tensioner Is Worn

Originally Posted by Brandon1023 View Post
Okay, well I have spent a few hours researching the topic and I believe my tensioner is bad, as my car has the dreaded whining sound along with a ticking. Most pointers direct me that way, so I took a video (mainly a sound recording) of the car at idle and going up to about 2,500 rpm. Obviously I'm going to have my mechanic check it out before my dad will give me money for parts -.-, but in the mean time, I just wanted to get some opinions here.

I'm aware this is not your average oil change, but I'm going to tackle this one head-on, because I have done a great deal of work to the car already and I have access to all the tools I will need in my garage. I know it could take me a few days, but we have another car here, so it's no biggie.

So with all that being said, I'd appreciate if someone could tell me if this whining sound is the tensioner.

Video on Photobucket.

Thanks in adv.
I can't see the video, I think I am able to tell you what it is, because my mechanic is going to fix mine. I just want to make sure your issue is the same as mine.
chrisNYLI516 is offline   Send a private message to chrisNYLI516 Find more posts by chrisNYLI516 Add chrisNYLI516 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2013, 05:22 AM   Thread Starter #5
Newbie
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
Brandon1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Official Member #: 10955
Last Online: 02-28-2016 04:51 PM
Posts: 30

Reputation Level: 0
Brandon1023 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: I Believe My Timing Chain Tensioner Is Worn

Yea, I went to the mechanic who fixed my transmission when the valve body was acting up, and he confirmed it's this exact problem. So, this will be yet another project of mine, which I expect to take place within the next week. For now, I gotta work on printing out the Factory Service Manuals, and getting my hands on the proper parts. I'm gonna fork out the extra $300 for the OEM chain, compared to the one for $280 on eBay. Just the price alone makes me question its durability. I will go ahead and keep this thread updated, since I've noticed there's some information on this problem, but I guess you can never have too many peoples' experience in changing the chains on the infamous VQ35.

On a side note, does anyone know if the engine/tranny can be raised out from the top of the hood, or it can only be removed from the bottom? Yes, I'm going to go ahead and remove it, because I know I'll have all the assistance I may need from a few friends of mine. That, and I don't have the patience to do this through the 2" clearance between the front of the engine and the frame.

Last edited by Brandon1023; 06-25-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Brandon1023 is offline   Send a private message to Brandon1023 Find more posts by Brandon1023 Add Brandon1023 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Newbie
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
chrisNYLI516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Official Member #: 4597
Last Online: 10-17-2013 08:09 PM
Location: Strong.Island
Posts: 41

Reputation Level: 0
chrisNYLI516 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: I Believe My Timing Chain Tensioner Is Worn

Originally Posted by Brandon1023 View Post
Yea, I went to the mechanic who fixed my transmission when the valve body was acting up, and he confirmed it's this exact problem. So, this will be yet another project of mine, which I expect to take place within the next week. For now, I gotta work on printing out the Factory Service Manuals, and getting my hands on the proper parts. I'm gonna fork out the extra $300 for the OEM chain, compared to the one for $280 on eBay. Just the price alone makes me question its durability. I will go ahead and keep this thread updated, since I've noticed there's some information on this problem, but I guess you can never have too many peoples' experience in changing the chains on the infamous VQ35.

On a side note, does anyone know if the engine/tranny can be raised out from the top of the hood, or it can only be removed from the bottom? Yes, I'm going to go ahead and remove it, because I know I'll have all the assistance I may need from a few friends of mine. That, and I don't have the patience to do this through the 2" clearance between the front of the engine and the frame.

Does it makes the noise only when you start up the car in the morning?
chrisNYLI516 is offline   Send a private message to chrisNYLI516 Find more posts by chrisNYLI516 Add chrisNYLI516 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2013, 07:13 PM   Thread Starter #7
Newbie
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
Brandon1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Official Member #: 10955
Last Online: 02-28-2016 04:51 PM
Posts: 30

Reputation Level: 0
Brandon1023 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: I Believe My Timing Chain Tensioner Is Worn

Originally Posted by chrisNYLI516 View Post
Does it makes the noise only when you start up the car in the morning?
That's what my mechanic asked me. It's definitely more distinguishable in the morning on a cold start up, but it always makes the sound, no matter the temperature. If anyone remembers from GTA San Andreas, I can compare this whining noise to the sound of a car's engine in that game when you speed up.

He said it'd be a $1500 job. I'll do this $*it for under $700. I'll be sure to doc how much I spend on parts so anyone who's thinking about doing this gets an idea.
Brandon1023 is offline   Send a private message to Brandon1023 Find more posts by Brandon1023 Add Brandon1023 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
Newbie
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
chrisNYLI516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Official Member #: 4597
Last Online: 10-17-2013 08:09 PM
Location: Strong.Island
Posts: 41

Reputation Level: 0
chrisNYLI516 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: I Believe My Timing Chain Tensioner Is Worn

The part number my mechanic told me to get is 1370 which is a tensor guide. He got the part number from nissan parts.com and while he replaces that part he told me to get a new water pump I don't have the item number for that. The tensor guide sound is not that bad after u do a oil change but it is still there, therefore I rather just replace it.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Here is what I got
chrisNYLI516 is offline   Send a private message to chrisNYLI516 Find more posts by chrisNYLI516 Add chrisNYLI516 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2013, 03:09 AM   Thread Starter #9
Newbie
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
Brandon1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Official Member #: 10955
Last Online: 02-28-2016 04:51 PM
Posts: 30

Reputation Level: 0
Brandon1023 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: I Believe My Timing Chain Tensioner Is Worn

Chances are, you'll want more than just the guide. Whether you do the job yourself, or have a mechanic do it, it's definitely a good idea to go with the full rebuild kit.
Brandon1023 is offline   Send a private message to Brandon1023 Find more posts by Brandon1023 Add Brandon1023 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Members And 1 Guests)
 
Thread Tools


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 AM.