Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:42 AM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 3739

Reputation Level: 8
maxline5708 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default I Am Ready To Allow My Maxima To Drift Off A Cliff

So on the return trip from my honeymoon i Developed a low roaring noise in the left rear sectionbof my car between 40 and 80 mph. I assumed the Wheel bearing was going bad so i replaced it.. the noise continued and worsened. Long story short i have new rotor pads caliper and brackrt, new those pins everything is greased anti squeaked and the noise is growing louder... I am at the end of my rope and about to go crazy. I Even got new tires rotated tires.... The works.... The noise is best describes as satans laugh at me..... But really a low to mildely loud road as if something was rubbing together but nothing is... Only relief iswhen making a hyard right and pressure is added to the right side... The noise completely vanishes until i am driving in a straight line then it returns... Please please please someone help

Take a look at my build thread:http://my6thgen.org/f13/maxlines-05-...-redrum-21177/
maxline5708 is offline   Send a private message to maxline5708 Find more posts by maxline5708 Add maxline5708 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #2

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 32
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: I Am Ready To Allow My Maxima To Drift Off A Cliff

@Mr DoLLa, @BurntOrangeAppeal

hopefully these guys can chime in

Want 12HP More?- CLICK HERE
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by maxline5708 View Post
So on the return trip from my honeymoon i Developed a low roaring noise in the left rear sectionbof my car between 40 and 80 mph. I assumed the Wheel bearing was going bad so i replaced it.. the noise continued and worsened. Long story short i have new rotor pads caliper and brackrt, new those pins everything is greased anti squeaked and the noise is growing louder... I am at the end of my rope and about to go crazy. I Even got new tires rotated tires.... The works.... The noise is best describes as satans laugh at me..... But really a low to mildely loud road as if something was rubbing together but nothing is... Only relief iswhen making a hyard right and pressure is added to the right side... The noise completely vanishes until i am driving in a straight line then it returns... Please please please someone help
Make sure you are positive that its the rear bearing. Sometimes especially when its vague, it travels through the body and it seems like its the rear.

Another thing worth paying attention to is your tires. Rotating and balancing has not a lot of effect on road noise. What is important is the condition of the tread. Run your hand around the tire and feel for roundess and smoothness/visual. (Winter tires especially are prone to blocking) and/or additional road noise.

Another thing you could do is pick up a stethoscope and spin the rear wheel by hand listening to a grinding noise on the rear hubs from behind the wheel. Comparing that to the other side rear when spun.

(Im dont know how vague the noise is you describe) It will probably be hard to pick up. To an untrained ear with a stethoscope. In thar case wait a few days and it will get louder.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-

Last edited by BurntOrangeAppeal; 05-11-2013 at 01:55 PM.
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2013, 02:33 PM   Thread Starter #4
Official Member

Official Member #: 3739

Reputation Level: 8
maxline5708 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BurntOrangeAppeal View Post
Make sure you are positive that its the rear bearing. Sometimes especially when its vague, it travels through the body and it seems like its the rear.

Another thing worth paying attention to is your tires. Rotating and balancing has not a lot of effect on road noise. What is important is the condition of the tread. Run your hand around the tire and feel for roundess and smoothness/visual. (Winter tires especially are prone to blocking) and/or additional road noise.

Another thing you could do is pick up a stethoscope and spin the rear wheel by hand listening to a grinding noise on the rear hubs from behind the wheel. Comparing that to the other side rear when spun.

(Im dont know how vague the noise is you describe) It will probably be hard to pick up. To an untrained ear with a stethoscope. In thar case wait a few days and it will get louder.

The noise is Pretty loud now and it is deffinately coming from the rear... I assumed it was the drivers side since when i cleaned the hubs and sensors the passengers side looked brand new. There was still Grease packed in the hub but the more i Drive after changing the drivers side it weeks the noise is on passenger side so mabye change that bearing????

Take a look at my build thread:http://my6thgen.org/f13/maxlines-05-...-redrum-21177/
maxline5708 is offline   Send a private message to maxline5708 Find more posts by maxline5708 Add maxline5708 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by maxline5708 View Post
The noise is Pretty loud now and it is deffinately coming from the rear... I assumed it was the drivers side since when i cleaned the hubs and sensors the passengers side looked brand new. There was still Grease packed in the hub but the more i Drive after changing the drivers side it weeks the noise is on passenger side so mabye change that bearing????
If the noise is loud as you state, then sthetoscope will help you isolate the culprit.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top