Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:44 AM   Thread Starter #1
Donating Member

my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 534

Reputation Level: 16
lake29 will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Default Humming Noise

My car is making a humming noise when it idling. Does anyone know the reason why??
lake29 is offline   Send a private message to lake29 Find more posts by lake29 Add lake29 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2010, 10:07 AM   #2

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default Re: Humming Noise

Could be a vacuum leak.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #3

Official Member #: 45

Reputation Level: 0
Machinist is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

humming = Doesn't know the words

Last edited by Machinist; 09-25-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Machinist is offline   Send a private message to Machinist Find more posts by Machinist Add Machinist to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
Premier Member

Official Member #: 11

Reputation Level: 41
CleanMaxx has a spectacular aura aboutCleanMaxx has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Visit CleanMaxx's Twitter Visit CleanMaxx's YouTube

HUH? Where is the humming coming from. We need more information than my car is humming....
Old 09-26-2010, 02:06 AM   #5
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Did you leave the door open ? and let this sucker get in ?Click the image to open in full size.

No but srsly ? need more details.... a vaccum leak sounds like someone with lungs sucking thru a straw , so when you say humming, I cant even think of anything at IDLE that it would humming.

Usually customers say its humming , which we would check for tires and axles thats in motion that would hum.

more info , to help you out guy !
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #6
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

You guys need to go a little easier on a newb with 5 posts...I can only imagine what they're thinking after reading these responses :rofl3:!
Old 09-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
Premier Member

NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

^ no but I deal with customers on a daily base , and I mean sometimes if your bringing a car to be troubleshoot we need a little bit more info..

now trying to diagnose a problem over the internet fourm and no pics or vids is a bit hard to help out !
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post
^ no but I deal with customers on a daily base , and I mean sometimes if your bringing a car to be troubleshoot we need a little bit more info..

now trying to diagnose a problem over the internet fourm and no pics or vids is a bit hard to help out !
Believe me...I'm in no way disagreeing with you. I too was going to post something along the lines of the others, but I saw he only had 5 posts and I figured I'd go easy on him.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

well , to me post counts just shows me how much a member is dedicated to a fourm, doesnt mean that post counts shows what he/she knows.

you know we all joke around on any fourm but still be seriously at the same time.

I hope he/she will come back and explain a little bit more , i can understand a humming whiile driving , usually could be wheel bearings but at Idle..

Hard to say , I try to picture the image in my head at idle , more than likely sounds like a vaccum leak
Old 09-30-2010, 04:56 PM   Thread Starter #10
Donating Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Okay, I really appreciate everyone trying to help!! So, I took my car to the shop and after 5 hours the figured out the problem. They decided that the engine oil filter was to small and that the oil was having a problem draining. They charged my $5.00 for a new filter and $60 to figure out the problem...

They also measured the car height and decided that the car sits 2" to low in the back. They wanted to charge $300 to install new springs in the rear! Which I thought was pretty expensive. So, I need to get new rear springs so does anyone have any suggestions?? I really don’t want to lower the car. I just got new bumpers and side skirts and now the car sits a lot lower then it use to. Besides the roads suck in Indiana.
lake29 is offline   Send a private message to lake29 Find more posts by lake29 Add lake29 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #11
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

What year car is this, and what "shop" did you go to? Lastly...did it fix your problem? As far as OEM replacement springs, try RockAuto.com
Old 09-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #12
King Of R.I
Donating Member

Official Member #: 114

Reputation Level: 33
BLKMAGIC has a spectacular aura aboutBLKMAGIC has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

Banner of The Month  

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by lake29 View Post
Okay, I really appreciate everyone trying to help!! So, I took my car to the shop and after 5 hours the figured out the problem. They decided that the engine oil filter was to small and that the oil was having a problem draining. They charged my $5.00 for a new filter and $60 to figure out the problem...

They also measured the car height and decided that the car sits 2" to low in the back. They wanted to charge $300 to install new springs in the rear! Which I thought was pretty expensive. So, I need to get new rear springs so does anyone have any suggestions?? I really donít want to lower the car. I just got new bumpers and side skirts and now the car sits a lot lower then it use to. Besides the roads suck in Indiana.
Springs going bad are rare...I'm guessing they measured with the kit on...and they're a little dumb.
2004 Ford F150 Lariat Supercrew
1991 Nissan Maxima GXE
BLKMAGIC is offline   Send a private message to BLKMAGIC Find more posts by BLKMAGIC Add BLKMAGIC to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2010, 05:46 PM   Thread Starter #13
Donating Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

I will post some pics.

Originally Posted by BLKMAGIC View Post
Springs going bad are rare...I'm guessing they measured with the kit on...and they're a little dumb.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #14
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by lake29 View Post

They also measured the car height and decided that the car sits 2" to low in the back. They wanted to charge $300 to install new springs in the rear! Which I thought was pretty expensive. So, I need to get new rear springs so does anyone have any suggestions?? I really donít want to lower the car. I just got new bumpers and side skirts and now the car sits a lot lower then it use to. Besides the roads suck in Indiana.
Yeah umm , 5 hours to figure out the oil filter is too small ? Hmm No that does NOT MAKE ANY SENSE AT ALL !!

our oil filters are small to begin with, I think they must be some domestic guys , probally comparing a PH8A that is TWICE the size of a Maxima Filter.

Im more than certain , I have never heard of a small filter making the car humm at idle...

As for the springs, springs dont normally go bad, just the struts, and like blackoutt said , they must have measure it from ground to your new bumper/skirts.

Also why would they inspect something like that ? Did you ask them if the car was bouncy or something ?

No normal car shop would check if your springs are bad, esp taking out a measuring tape to measure, sounds like they are trying to pull a fast one to me.

It amazes me sometimes what stories I read and how these shops manage to do shady or pull a fast one for money.

My moral is , to be honest cause karma is a bitch .. if I see something wrong that I would point out and make sure to give you a full explenation of the reason why / what cause certian issues.

Also did you get to see the OLD filter compare to your NEW filter ? for size comparison ?

I bet they didnt show you that.... finally did the humming stop ? 5 hours 65bucks later... hmmmm
Old 09-30-2010, 06:25 PM   #15
King Of R.I
Donating Member

Official Member #: 114

Reputation Level: 33
BLKMAGIC has a spectacular aura aboutBLKMAGIC has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

Banner of The Month  

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post

As for the springs, springs dont normally go bad, just the struts, and like BLKMAGIC said , they must have measure it from ground to your new bumper/skirts.
Fixed. :rofl3:
2004 Ford F150 Lariat Supercrew
1991 Nissan Maxima GXE
BLKMAGIC is offline   Send a private message to BLKMAGIC Find more posts by BLKMAGIC Add BLKMAGIC to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2010, 08:21 PM   #16
The Go To Guy

Official Member #: 59

Reputation Level: 27
Mr DoLLa has a spectacular aura aboutMr DoLLa has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

FYI all maximas of this year, 6th gen, always sit low in the rear. There was a TSB issued by Nissan for that issue which was said to b the rear sub frame but only certain cars r affected. I dont belive that "mechanic" for one second. Ask anyone who brought their Maxima stock how high the front is relative to the rear. My car is lowered on Eibachs 2" in the front only n the car sits even. I smell someone tryin to up sell u some shit u dont need. As for the oil filter being too small, yeah sure n I have a bridge for sale. Dont take it the wrong way but that "mechanic" is suspect. Stay on the forum n we will show u the light my friend.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #17
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Depending on the age of the car, and the mileage, it is posible that the rear springs could be sagging. I know the springs on my Taurus were sagging like crazy...at 7-8 years old. This doesn't necessarily make them "bad", but it can cause the rear of the car to sag. I did have a "bad" front spring on my Taurus...it shattered....luckily the car was parked when it happened. I concur that the "shop" sounds very suspect to me. Still waiting to hear of the "humming" went away.