Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:46 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 116

Reputation Level: 0
EVESNAKE1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default How Much Boost on Turbo?

As some of you know I'll be going turbo in a few weeks. Anyone know what is the safe amount of boost that can be ran for a daily driver?? Would 5-6 psi be a good amount?? Has anyone pushed the limits and run 8-9 psi?? Thanks in advance.
EVESNAKE1 is offline   Send a private message to EVESNAKE1 Find more posts by EVESNAKE1 Add EVESNAKE1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #2

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default Re: How Much Boost on Turbo?

Originally Posted by EVESNAKE1 View Post
As some of you know I'll be going turbo in a few weeks. Anyone know what is the safe amount of boost that can be ran for a daily driver?? Would 5-6 psi be a good amount?? Has anyone pushed the limits and run 8-9 psi?? Thanks in advance.
I'm going to be running 7-8PSI on my 4thgen for daily Driving. Same engine as yours.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
L'italiano

Official Member #: 2

Reputation Level: 24
AANTONE will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 10

sick...good luck to both of you
AANTONE is offline   Send a private message to AANTONE Find more posts by AANTONE Add AANTONE to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2010, 09:09 PM   Thread Starter #4

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
I'm going to be running 7-8PSI on my 4thgen for daily Driving. Same engine as yours.
Will this be on 91-93 octane?? Im in Cali and our gas sucks. We only have 91 oct available. I have access to 100 oct race gas but I don't want to drive daily filling up with 100 oct. When are you planning on your install? What setup are you going with? Will you be tuning with a piggy back? Sorry for all the questions. I know there isn't much 6th gens out there with turbo setups so It's kind of hard to find solid info. So far my plans are sts rear single turbo, trans oil cooler from stillen, and greddy emanage for tuning. I just want a simple setup and run safely for awhile until I have some more money saved up for a built motor with a stroker kit. I'm looking for 5-6 psi for daily driving and hoping for 7-8 psi with some race gas. I don't know if I left anything out. My current mods are hotshot headers, straight pipes, magnaflow mufflers, 2* timing advance and customs intake. If you don't want to share your info could you pm me?? Thanks.
EVESNAKE1 is offline   Send a private message to EVESNAKE1 Find more posts by EVESNAKE1 Add EVESNAKE1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #5

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Will this be on 91-93 octane?? Im in Cali and our gas sucks. We only have 91 oct available. I have access to 100 oct race gas but I don't want to drive daily filling up with 100 oct. When are you planning on your install? What setup are you going with? Will you be tuning with a piggy back? Sorry for all the questions. I know there isn't much 6th gens out there with turbo setups so It's kind of hard to find solid info. So far my plans are sts rear single turbo, trans oil cooler from stillen, and greddy emanage for tuning. I just want a simple setup and run safely for awhile until I have some more money saved up for a built motor with a stroker kit. I'm looking for 5-6 psi for daily driving and hoping for 7-8 psi with some race gas. I don't know if I left anything out. My current mods are hotshot headers, straight pipes, magnaflow mufflers, 2* timing advance and customs intake. If you don't want to share your info could you pm me?? Thanks.
93.... I'm actually going Supercharged but its a similar concept. Always use the highest grade either way. I would not recommend a turbo setup on a stock VQ35. Make sure you get some engine build. Your stock tranny might not be able to HOLD that much turbo power. There's a lot of factors in this and $$$$$$$$. I'll post more accurate info tonight from what I know on 6thgens.

On the other side of things....you could have a 400WHP 6thgen with nitrous only.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
Official Member

Official Member #: 14

Reputation Level: 10
JGOTAMAX718 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dude build ur motor and ur tranny first trust me it will save u in the long run.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
The Asian 6th Gen!

Official Member #: 13

imports4lyfe is an unknown quantity at this point

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Originally Posted by JGOTAMAX718 View Post
Dude build ur motor and ur tranny first trust me it will save u in the long run.
believe what he said!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 03:02 AM   Thread Starter #8

Could u explain how a nitrous setup would hold up better than a turbo setup? Would my tranny hold up to say a 50 shot? Whats different in our internals from a 350z? I know a lot of Z owners running turbo setups on their stock block. Sorry for all the lame questions. Im still new to the vq's and would more insight before i proceed on my journey. Maybe a good nitrous wet shot will do me good instead of the turbo setup? Only reason i didnt want to go nitrous route was with the turbo i have the power on tap. No bottles to fill and no waiting for bottle heaters and such. Please enlighten me. Thanks fellas.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
Queen's Official 6.5 Gen
Donating Member

Official Member #: 40

Reputation Level: 31
I3LAZEN will become famous soon enoughI3LAZEN will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Honorable Ride  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 10

a stock tranny on juice -- 50 shot would be safe.. you could probably do 75 shot 2 b honest.. & definitely use the highest gas grade.. in ny we have 93 so thats what most if not all of us use in our 6th/6.5 gen --- i hope
I3LAZEN is offline   Send a private message to I3LAZEN Find more posts by I3LAZEN Add I3LAZEN to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #10

Could u explain how a nitrous setup would hold up better than a turbo setup? Would my tranny hold up to say a 50 shot? Whats different in our internals from a 350z? I know a lot of Z owners running turbo setups on their stock block. Sorry for all the lame questions. Im still new to the vq's and would more insight before i proceed on my journey. Maybe a good nitrous wet shot will do me good instead of the turbo setup? Only reason i didnt want to go nitrous route was with the turbo i have the power on tap. No bottles to fill and no waiting for bottle heaters and such. Please enlighten me. Thanks fellas.

Here are some questions I have:
  • What is your goal in terms of power?
  • Do you want to be street fast or track fast?
  • What kind of transmission do you have (4spd/5spd)?
With the amount of $$ you are going to spend on a turbo setup you can upgrade your transmission and slightly build your engine for HALF THE PRICE. The stock VQ35 is safe for about 350-400WHP on a stock block give or take.

If you have the $$ to spend... feel free to go the turbo route. In terms of power the smarter route if to go with Nitrous. As far as nitrous running out...I never had that problem. I have two tanks... once one gets lower on pressure the other one picks right up. Plus its much less maintenance than turbo.

Chernmax has reliable setup but he spent a good amount of $$ to do it. He rebuilt his motor after it gave out the first time. He learned and continued on.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 02-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
Official Member

Official Member #: 42

JMax05 is an unknown quantity at this point

My Awards:

you just trying to make power or go fast?
JMax05 is offline   Send a private message to JMax05 Find more posts by JMax05 Add JMax05 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #12
mr. bigs

Official Member #: 8

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

chern if im not mistaken was at 4-5 psi and bent his rods just at that. he ended up having to take apart his motor and had rebuild it.

sooo like the others said build ur motor up....
bdmaxima is banned   Send a private message to bdmaxima Find more posts by bdmaxima Add bdmaxima to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #13
Official Member

My Awards:

If your going boost your stock block will be fine just get some rods pistons cams n retainers n a full arp stud kit and you will be ok.... no need for a sleeve anything wild unless you tryin to run a 70 trim turbo or something crazy where you suckin up animals....these motors are excellent already low boost smaller turbo to spool up faster or supercharger is whats needed for our motors or simply get some juice..(make sure pistons are lower compression than stock)
JMax05 is offline   Send a private message to JMax05 Find more posts by JMax05 Add JMax05 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2010, 02:07 PM   Thread Starter #14

Damn!!! So much I want to do yet so lil time and money. No track for me. I just wanted a nice street setup. My turbo setup was going to cost me a lil under $3.5k. And thats including labor. But if you say mildly built tranny and upgraded internals for half that I just may have to look into that. Now I'm leaning towards a nice nitrous setup.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #15
Official Member

My Awards:

full bolt ons some cams a tune n nitrous your looking at a low 13 to high 12 sec Max and that my friend on the streets is considered a fast car.

I ran a 13.4 with full bolt ons no tune & no nitrous n i was extremely pleased with that time. you dont need turbo
Old 02-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #16
Official Member

My Awards:

if you have the money and it isnt an issue go boost
Old 02-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #17
mr. bigs

Official Member #: 8

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

what tires did you run a 13.4 on? manual? mods?

thats if you care to share. if u dnt its cool
bdmaxima is banned   Send a private message to bdmaxima Find more posts by bdmaxima Add bdmaxima to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2010, 01:19 PM   Thread Starter #18

Originally Posted by JMax05 View Post
full bolt ons some cams a tune n nitrous your looking at a low 13 to high 12 sec Max and that my friend on the streets is considered a fast car.

I ran a 13.4 with full bolt ons no tune & no nitrous n i was extremely pleased with that time. you dont need turbo

Jmax,

That's an amazing time for the max. If you don't mind sharing whats the list of bolt on's? So far I've almost got every bolt on possible now on the max power wise. There's a few things left to do. What was your trap speed? 60 ft time? Thanks.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #19

Is this the kit ?

Speed Force Racing Stage 1 Turbo Kit (315WHP)

I moved it over to the turbo section.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 06-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #20

Official Member #: 278

jamaxin04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry fellas but I'm new to the org. Just to be clear which would be safer for the stock engine, supercharger or turbo? I'm not looking for track set up just street speed is good enough for me.
jamaxin04 is offline   Send a private message to jamaxin04 Find more posts by jamaxin04 Add jamaxin04 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2010, 07:19 AM   #21

Originally Posted by jamaxin04 View Post
Sorry fellas but I'm new to the org. Just to be clear which would be safer for the stock engine, supercharger or turbo? I'm not looking for track set up just street speed is good enough for me.
Turbo would work the best as its already been done. A lot of customization involved. You're probably looking at over 5K-10K range. You can achieve similar power just with a nitrous kit like I have.

As far as a supercharger... there are no kits available. You would have to convert your timing from 3.5 to 3.0 (previous engine) to be able to use the kit they use with the 5thgens and 4thgens.

What mods do you currently have?

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 06-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #22
SE-R PWR
Donating Member

Official Member #: 49

Tuko is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Building the block for a turbo is going to cost as much as his turbo kit and install if done right.

Rods pistons $1100
Bearings $275
Arp stuff. $165
Head gaskets $180
Machine shop $1350+
Labor to drop the motor $????

What psi you run depends on the turbo you have. Different turbos push different amounts of air (cfm's) at the same psi.

50 or 75 shot is not gonna kill your tranny unless its already weak. My friend ran 100 or 125 shot on an auto se-r. It felt like it slipped after a lot of abuse so then he put a tranny cooler on and it felt better. Just do a tranny cooler and a vb mod.

Eddy you never spray your 6th gen. Stop being gay and trade setups with me :D

OP: do a lot more research and figure out what you want. Nitrous and turbo can be expensive and dangerous. You have a lot to learn about both.
Tuko is offline   Send a private message to Tuko Find more posts by Tuko Add Tuko to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #23

Originally Posted by Tuko View Post
Building the block for a turbo is going to cost as much as his turbo kit and install if done right.

Rods pistons $1100
Bearings $275
Arp stuff. $165
Head gaskets $180
Machine shop $1350+
Labor to drop the motor $????

What psi you run depends on the turbo you have. Different turbos push different amounts of air (cfm's) at the same psi.

50 or 75 shot is not gonna kill your tranny unless its already weak. My friend ran 100 or 125 shot on an auto se-r. It felt like it slipped after a lot of abuse so then he put a tranny cooler on and it felt better. Just do a tranny cooler and a vb mod.

Eddy you never spray your 6th gen. Stop being gay and trade setups with me :D

OP: do a lot more research and figure out what you want. Nitrous and turbo can be expensive and dangerous. You have a lot to learn about both.
Good info!!! Research is very important or less you will end up like a blown fish. loll

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 06-21-2010, 02:03 AM   #24
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 4

Reputation Level: 14
OwenMaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

My Awards:
Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
Good info!!! Research is very important or less you will end up like a blown fish. loll

FISH NU
FISH NU
FISH NU
FISH NU
y0
Old 06-21-2010, 02:09 AM   #25

Official Member #: 24

Look-At-My-Max is an unknown quantity at this point

jmax05 is a liar. pics or ducktales.
Look-At-My-Max is offline   Send a private message to Look-At-My-Max Find more posts by Look-At-My-Max Add Look-At-My-Max to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top