Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:13 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 747

Reputation Level: 9
bhp4202 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Fuel Pump

On my way back to work tonight from dinner my car died twice while at a red light had to keep foot on brake and gas to keep it running when I got back to work I pulled it into one of our bays and car was puttering and died again so I hooked my scanner up and no codes but what I noticed was turning key without starting car I didn't hear fuel pump so turned key to off and back again I heard fuel pump did this a few more times and fuel pump doesn't turn on every time it's like every 3rd or 4th time is when I can hear it so my question is, is my fuel pump bad or could it be a relay?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Fuel Pump

Originally Posted by bhp4202 View Post
On my way back to work tonight from dinner my car died twice while at a red light had to keep foot on brake and gas to keep it running when I got back to work I pulled it into one of our bays and car was puttering and died again so I hooked my scanner up and no codes but what I noticed was turning key without starting car I didn't hear fuel pump so turned key to off and back again I heard fuel pump did this a few more times and fuel pump doesn't turn on every time it's like every 3rd or 4th time is when I can hear it so my question is, is my fuel pump bad or could it be a relay?
There could be few possible causes according to the symptoms you describe.
So you need to follow diagnostic procedures.

The stalling could be a relay, but in most cases in my experiance is related to Camshaft/crankshaft sensors. Do a search on this.

Lets see if I can shine some light on this subject.
When either your CKP or CMP's sensors have a momentary break in an output signal being sent to PCM the computer will shut down fuel delivery in order to prevent damage to the engine conponents as the PCM does not know for that split second the relation of crankshaft to the camshafts or vice versa.

Also to answer your question directly, you dont always hear the pump priming as there already is enough buildup fuel pressure especially if you are priming continuously.

So it could be your pump thats going a relay or electrical signal to the pump or Camshaft and or Crankshaft sensors.

First thing you need to do is check fuel pressure in order to isolate this issue being mechanical, electrical or sensor based.

When/if you will be replacing CKP/CMP ( its usually just cam sensors that go bad but sonetines its the crank sensor being the culprit) make sure you purchase genuine Nissan sensors.

Hope this helps.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-

Last edited by BurntOrangeAppeal; 03-18-2013 at 11:53 AM.
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2013, 01:34 PM   Thread Starter #3

Official Member #: 747

Reputation Level: 9
bhp4202 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Fuel Pump

Originally Posted by BurntOrangeAppeal View Post
There could be few possible causes according to the symptoms you describe.
So you need to follow diagnostic procedures.

The stalling could be a relay, but in most cases in my experiance is related to Camshaft/crankshaft sensors. Do a search on this.

Lets see if I can shine some light on this subject.
When either your CKP or CMP's sensors have a momentary break in an output signal being sent to PCM the computer will shut down fuel delivery in order to prevent damage to the engine conponents as the PCM does not know for that split second the relation of crankshaft to the camshafts or vice versa.

Also to answer your question directly, you dont always hear the pump priming as there already is enough buildup fuel pressure especially if you are priming continuously.

So it could be your pump thats going a relay or electrical signal to the pump or Camshaft and or Crankshaft sensors.

First thing you need to do is check fuel pressure in order to isolate this issue being mechanical, electrical or sensor based.

When/if you will be replacing CKP/CMP ( its usually just cam sensors that go bad but sonetines its the crank sensor being the culprit) make sure you purchase genuine Nissan sensors.

Hope this helps.
Thanks this does help but I'm going to eliminate cam sensors because I replaced them about 6 months ago with nissan parts can't imagine there bad already. Will check fuel pressure and just replace crank sensor seeing how it cheap
bhp4202 is offline   Send a private message to bhp4202 Find more posts by bhp4202 Add bhp4202 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top