Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:14 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 968

Reputation Level: 0
bri04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
Default Faint Noise Once Over 65MPH

So after looking and searching and please forgive me if I am wrong, but I havn't seen anyone mention a problem simular to mine in the 04 I own. In August I had my tensioners and well about everything replaced minus the chains... I had that awfull "classic" tensioner noise that was so rediculously loud I had no choice but to fix it... Anyways last week I noticed a new issue. As I was driving and with no radio and all of the windows up I noticed this noise coming from the same area the tensioners are. I slowed down and it went away. As I sped back up it came back... I went through this process several times before I realized the magic number was roughly around 65mph. Mind you I went through several rounds during my two hour drive staying between 60-63 for about 30 min before I would speed back up to 64-67 and check to see if the noise would start again. It is so faint you can NOT hear it if you so much as crack a window. You have to intently listen or it will sound as though your car is being swished by high winds. Also if you can go faster than 75 the noise goes away on its own... or it's being flushed out but the natural engine and wind noise masking my issue so I cant hear it.

As far as the noise... I can say in specific it sounds as though metal is being dragged against plastic, duh right, makes perfect sence. Metal chains, plastic tensioners, coming from that area... genious. My concern is that I JUST had these peices replaced and why would there be any need to go back and have to replace it so soon. If I could record a video that would actually record the noise I would post it.

All I can say is that it worries me not knowing what it could be or if I will make it to the next town or not when driving. If kept under 65 mph no noise, once over 65... noise. Oh this was also mid morning when I had been driving for over 30 min... so it wasn't a cold start. I have noticed that my car is a little more sluggish when trying to get up to higher speed since I replaced every thing... It just dosnt seem to kick into "toss you into your seat" mode nearly as fast or sometimes at all. When starting in the car in the morning I wait 5-10 minutes before driving off and I also hear a noise that seems as though its coming from this area minus the ratteling noise it seems as though something plastic is being grinded on. I'm so frustrated! The morning noise dosnt always happen and the car defenitly seems more sluggish when its happening. It happens from time to time and does go away after about 3 minutes.... sometimes it stays until I turn the car off and let it sit for a while. I'm not sure if these issues are related but I wanted to make sure you had something to go on if anyone has any suggestions as to what it might be.

Like I said the noise is so minimal if your not listening for it... You will not hear it! I had someone ride with me just to make sure I wasnt crazy and all I got was a "wow, good ears" comment. OHHH goodness, my a/c belt also needs replacing and whines when I go from a dead stop to driving only for a few seconds though. I also noticed when I'm driving and turn the a/c on my car slows down a bit, as if the motor can't hande the a/c and gets just downright lazy. Sorry for the novel but it's more information to offer if it helps come up with an answer.
bri04 is offline   Send a private message to bri04 Find more posts by bri04 Add bri04 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #2

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default Re: Faint Noise Once Over 65MPH

Yeah itís kind of difficult to make out what it could be. If there was some way you could record that little noise. Your chain should be ok for the most part. Do you have any check engine light codes by any chance? The sluggish feel could possibly be your MAF sensor going bad and in some cases a bad knock sensor. I remember my knock sensor was bad and it didnít even throw a code. I found out when I was doing a ported lower intake manifold. It was cracked and broken.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2010, 01:12 PM   Thread Starter #3

Official Member #: 968

bri04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
Yeah itís kind of difficult to make out what it could be. If there was some way you could record that little noise. Your chain should be ok for the most part. Do you have any check engine light codes by any chance? The sluggish feel could possibly be your MAF sensor going bad and in some cases a bad knock sensor. I remember my knock sensor was bad and it didnít even throw a code. I found out when I was doing a ported lower intake manifold. It was cracked and broken.
Well I have another two hour trip coming up tomorrow evening, so i will see what I can get using my phone. There are no engine lights and no codes being thrown. Yesterday as I was leaving work I let te engine warm up and when I went to drive I herd that god awfull tensioiner noise again. But after a few minutes it went away. I'll look into replacing whatever I can real soon. (meaning when I get the extra cash) Oh I actually just wen tto go grab lunch for the co-workers and it seems as though I can duplicate he noise only louder while in park and once the rmps hit around 4 grand. If I get a minute I will go outside and see what I can record.
bri04 is offline   Send a private message to bri04 Find more posts by bri04 Add bri04 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

at idle do you hear the sound ?

when is the last time you did an oil change OR check the oil Level ?

Try adding half QT of motor oil and see if the ticking has gone away and report back please.

if that didnt cure it then it could be your guides again
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #5

Official Member #: 144

shift_twinz is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

if its coming from that area..could b a bad belt or worn out tensioner pulley..check that also
shift_twinz is offline   Send a private message to shift_twinz Find more posts by shift_twinz Add shift_twinz to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top