Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:58 PM   Thread Starter #1
Premier Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 265

Reputation Level: 20
H4X1MA will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default A/F Tuning Question

So I've had a Neo, and an A/F gauge, since last year but I never got around to tuning the damn thing because I can never find the answer to the question: "What A/F ratio should I be tuning to".

I have read that 14.7 is where cars should be, but have also read that a lot of people tun for high 13's.

What's the number to shoot for?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: A/F Tuning Question

Originally Posted by H4X1MA View Post
So I've had a Neo, and an A/F gauge, since last year but I never got around to tuning the damn thing because I can never find the answer to the question: "What A/F ratio should I be tuning to".

I have read that 14.7 is where cars should be, but have also read that a lot of people tun for high 13's.

What's the number to shoot for?
14.7 is ideal or stoich....you want to be as close as you can.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
Official Member

Official Member #: 2459

Reputation Level: 11
Lulzz is on a distinguished road

14.7 at cruising speeds. If you are at WOT, 13.5 would the highest thats necessary on an N/A application. na engines usually make the most power @ 12.5- 13.0. If you can go leaner and still make MORE POWER without detonation then go for it but i have yet to see it. Each car/engine is different but as a general rule of thumb thats the data i have gathered up throughout the yrs. also keep in mind changes in weather and temp can drastically alter your AFR. Your once safe 13.5 afr tune can get drastically lean with a 20 degree temp change.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Lulzz View Post
14.7 at cruising speeds. If you are at WOT, 13.5 would the highest thats necessary on an N/A application. na engines usually make the most power @ 12.5- 13.0. If you can go leaner and still make MORE POWER without detonation then go for it but i have yet to see it. Each car/engine is different but as a general rule of thumb thats the data i have gathered up throughout the yrs. also keep in mind changes in weather and temp can drastically alter your AFR. Your once safe 13.5 afr tune can get drastically lean with a 20 degree temp change.
This is why you want to close to 14.7. Sure leaner will make more power, but as weather conditions change, your injector or injectors start sticking and making that ratio leaner you risk detonation.
I have a 70mm turbo Mustang that I've tuned with my tuner and build myself. Its plenty fast to me, but hear it all the time from other guys, "its only making 423 horse"with that size turbo...bla,bla,bla. My answer is always. Its still making me smile overtime I bang a gear 3 years later....horsepower is nothing without reliability. Unless, you got lots of coin...
IMO
Top horsepower is good for shooting the sh*t at Starbucks, reliable horsepower will make you keep your ride or engine for a while.
You can run run RICH all the time, but when you lean out you melt sh*t. Tuning takes a lot of experience with risks involved the leaner the ratio is being brought down especially at WOT when things go wrong FAST. Just my 2 cents.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
Official Member

Official Member #: 2459

Reputation Level: 11
Lulzz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BurntOrangeAppeal View Post
This is why you want to close to 14.7. Sure leaner will make more power, but as weather conditions change, your injector or injectors start sticking and making that ratio leaner you risk detonation.
I have a 70mm turbo Mustang that I've tuned with my tuner and build myself. Its plenty fast to me, but hear it all the time from other guys, "its only making 423 horse"with that size turbo...bla,bla,bla. My answer is always. Its still making me smile overtime I bang a gear 3 years later....horsepower is nothing without reliability. Unless, you got lots of coin...
IMO
Top horsepower is good for shooting the sh*t at Starbucks, reliable horsepower will make you keep your ride or engine for a while.
You can run run RICH all the time, but when you lean out you melt sh*t. Tuning takes a lot of experience with risks involved the leaner the ratio is being brought down especially at WOT when things go wrong FAST. Just my 2 cents.
Exactly. I agree. So you DONT want to run close to 14.7. Anything close to 14.7 is unecessarily lean on a turbo car. Not only that but some cars will pull timing on top of running lean so while one might think leaner is meaner, the car is actually running worse than with a more conservative AFR.