Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:16 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 5406

Reputation Level: 0
stacks156 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Engine or Tranny Trouble

Hey Guys,

I just got my first maxima not too long ago. Its probably been just a month and i don't have much experience with it. Im going to cut straight to the point.

While driving my car will be fine but after some time it will turn off at a red light or wont move when i press on the gas. These things happen on and off. The check engine light is on and the "slip" light also comes on. The light with the thermometer has been on as well. Any of you guys have an idea about what this might be and how much it may cost to fix?

The dealer tells me its probably the key itself and how the car may not be reading the key correctly but i think thats Bullshyt !!

Thanks in advance !!
stacks156 is offline   Send a private message to stacks156 Find more posts by stacks156 Add stacks156 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

Reputation Level: 58
officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Default re: Engine or Tranny Trouble

You need to get the check engine code read and tell us what it says. We should be able to help you further after that.
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2012, 12:38 PM   Thread Starter #3

Official Member #: 5406

stacks156 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Engine or Tranny Trouble

how would i go about doing this?
stacks156 is offline   Send a private message to stacks156 Find more posts by stacks156 Add stacks156 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

Reputation Level: 58
officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Originally Posted by stacks156 View Post
how would i go about doing this?
Take it to an Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts near you and ask them to read the code. They should then give you a print out that has the code on it, it usually starts with a P. Then let us know what the code is.
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #5

Official Member #: 3891

randyzzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stacks156 View Post
Hey Guys,

I just got my first maxima not too long ago. Its probably been just a month and i don't have much experience with it. Im going to cut straight to the point.

While driving my car will be fine but after some time it will turn off at a red light or wont move when i press on the gas. These things happen on and off. The check engine light is on and the "slip" light also comes on. The light with the thermometer has been on as well. Any of you guys have an idea about what this might be and how much it may cost to fix?

The dealer tells me its probably the key itself and how the car may not be reading the key correctly but i think thats Bullshyt !!

Thanks in advance !!
As far as shutting down, it sounds like it is going into fail safe mode. My last tranny was causing it to shut down. If the computers detects a fault it will shut the car down. Sounds like there is something at fault going on and since you said you have a thermometer light on, sounds like it is getting hot and the computer goes into fail safe mode and shuts down the car. Run a code reader on it, preferablly not at a Nissan stealership and see what is coming up. Also check your wiring harnesses(main and sub) for broken wires and they do break. As far as your slip light being on it sounds like your ABS module is acting up. If it is don't go to Nissan, use Module Masters ModuleMaster - The Module Rebuild Experts
it will save you a lot of money and if you ever need a computer for you car use these guys, Auto Computer Systems | Quality Engine Control units(ECU,ECM,ECC) the are about half the price of Nissan and just as good. I hope this helps. Good luck.
randyzzz is offline   Send a private message to randyzzz Find more posts by randyzzz Add randyzzz to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top