Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:22 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 6351

Reputation Level: 7
gobeavers is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Engine makes raspy noise when I accelerate

My 2004 max has been making a noise for the past month, but it only makes it 1 out of 15 times driving it so I haven't taken it in to the shop. When I start to accelerate (not hard, just normal) it makes a high pitch raspy noise from the engine, it'll go away when I take my foot off the gas. It doesn't effect the rate of acceleration, just makes the noise, which I assume isn't ever a good thing. Any ideas what this might be? Only reason I haven't taken it to have it looked at is b/c the odds of it making that noise is really low. Any ideas what it would maybe be and how I could troubleshoot it myself?
gobeavers is offline   Send a private message to gobeavers Find more posts by gobeavers Add gobeavers to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #2

Official Member #: 5133

Reputation Level: 0
Username is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Engine makes raspy noise when I accelerate

timing detonation? aka pinging. are you running low grade fuel? try premium fuel and see if that helps.

Posted Via Tapatalk 2
Username is offline   Send a private message to Username Find more posts by Username Add Username to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2012, 02:58 AM   Thread Starter #3

Official Member #: 6351

Reputation Level: 7
gobeavers is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Engine makes raspy noise when I accelerate

Originally Posted by Username View Post
timing detonation? aka pinging. are you running low grade fuel? try premium fuel and see if that helps.

Posted Via Tapatalk 2
I tried listening to some sound clips, it might be. I fill it with regular. It'd be tough to narrow it down to gas, considering it doesn't make the noise to often. If it keeps up then I'll just take it in, otherwise I'm assuming it isn't too harmful.
gobeavers is offline   Send a private message to gobeavers Find more posts by gobeavers Add gobeavers to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top