Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:46 PM   Thread Starter #1
Premier Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2470

Reputation Level: 11
silvermax06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Engine Chirpping Noise

Ok. When i put my car in neutral an let off the clutch pedal i get a chirpping noise coming from the car. Just noticed that today. Thought it was the fan belt but i sat in the car an pushed the clutched pedal down. An the sound went away. Came back few minutes later after i let up the clutch pedal. Is this the infamous clutch chatter i have read about all over the net....?
silvermax06 is offline   Send a private message to silvermax06 Find more posts by silvermax06 Add silvermax06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 626

Reputation Level: 29
joecurr has a spectacular aura aboutjoecurr has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Engine Chirpping Noise

Are you sure the sound isn't associated with the gas pedal? Our cars have electronic throttle control that sounds like a bird chirping.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:15 PM   Thread Starter #3
Premier Member

Im not sure. I just noticed when i pushed in the clutch pedal the chirping went away. So that is why i figured it was a clutch issue...I think i just look for things now day's. everyday i here a different noise from this car...lol....

Last edited by silvermax06; 04-20-2012 at 06:18 PM.
silvermax06 is offline   Send a private message to silvermax06 Find more posts by silvermax06 Add silvermax06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Official Member

Official Member #: 626

Reputation Level: 29
joecurr has a spectacular aura aboutjoecurr has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

I feel you, sometimes you just get paranoid lol. Check if the chirp happens after you release the gas pedal, or anytime the engine leaves or returns to idle.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 34
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

When you push the clutch in and the symptom disappears, its usually associated with a throwout bearing.

Is the noise coming inside the bellhousing or inside of the cabin...could also be the shifter linkage cables...

Isolate the problem by having an assistant push in the clutch while you listen....

Place a piece of 3/8 or half in hose about a foot and a half in length next to your ear to amplify the sound...<this is a cheap alternative to a sthetoscope.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-

Last edited by BurntOrangeAppeal; 04-20-2012 at 07:25 PM.
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2012, 07:50 PM   Thread Starter #6
Premier Member

I don't think it's the bearing. Just had the clutch put in about 3 months ago. Due to that fact. But it was more of a whining noise.. Im statring to wish i would have stayed with the oem clutch instead of the stage 1...
Old 05-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #7

Official Member #: 4793

Reputation Level: 0
aplante22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have this same noise. my clutch, throw out bearing, and tranny were just done last week. From what i found doing some research, its either the TOB or there is not enough grease somewhere like the pivot ball joint, clutch fork or somewhere with the clutch. I think this is why it is making the chirping sound cause i have a new TOB.

It happens when im not touching the clutch, mostly neutral or slow speeds, then if i lightly touch the clutch even pushing it in about a half inch if that, the noise stops. im not engaging the clutch just putting slight pressure on it.

If its just greas can someone explain how and where to grease?
aplante22 is offline   Send a private message to aplante22 Find more posts by aplante22 Add aplante22 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top