Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:30 AM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 6390

Reputation Level: 7
Mike2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default ECU TCU Reprogramming

I recently had my transmision replaced. This was paid through a warranty company. The shop had called and said I required an update for both my engine computer and transmission computer for the work to be covered. Since I got it back My throttle response has a short lag (used to be punchy, like as soon as you tapped it) and the transmission seems to shift early causing a slight bogg affect. (just for a second)

Should I take it back or just find someone to reprogram them. I'm not sure if this would void my warranty or not.
Mike2005 is offline   Send a private message to Mike2005 Find more posts by Mike2005 Add Mike2005 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 73
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: ECU TCU Reprogramming

Originally Posted by Mike2005 View Post
I recently had my transmision replaced. This was paid through a warranty company. The shop had called and said I required an update for both my engine computer and transmission computer for the work to be covered. Since I got it back My throttle response has a short lag (used to be punchy, like as soon as you tapped it) and the transmission seems to shift early causing a slight bogg affect. (just for a second)

Should I take it back or just find someone to reprogram them. I'm not sure if this would void my warranty or not.

If I understand your question correctly, you had the transmission replaced under a warranty program.

Sometime after the transmission was replaced you received a call from the shop that did the replacement telling you to bring the car back in to have the engine and transmission computers updated. (I can't help but wonder why they did not perform these so called required updates at the time they replaced the transmission?)

So now that the computers have been updated you are experiencing abnormal responses in your new transmission.

Are you saying these problems were not present before the shop called you to return the car for the computer updates? If this is the case, take the car back to the same repair shop and explain the negative issues you are experiencing. Perhaps they can reset or take the updates out of the computer and put it back to the condition it was in before the updates.

I understand your desire to have another shop perform updates on the computers and your concern this may void your warranty. At this time it would be best to work with the original shop that did the replacement to resolve these issues. I would think this would all be handled as part of your transmission replacement without additional cost to you.

If it is determined the shop cannot get your transmission in proper working condition, then it would be appropriate to contact the warranty company about other options. I would keep good documentation including dates, times and names of people you contact along the way. This will be most useful in your quest for a satisfactory resolution.

It is always a good idea when in doubt to call the warranty company and ask questions about the exact details of what is covered and what is not. Better still, read your contract.

Good luck.

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2013, 08:19 PM   Thread Starter #3
Official Member

Official Member #: 6390

Reputation Level: 7
Mike2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

No, they were done at the same time the transmission was replaced. But the shop called me before doing the updates to inform me that
1. The warranty company required I get the updates
2. I had to pay for the updates

But I will take your advice and bring it up to the shop. I was wondering if the warranty company may have tuned down my engine
Mike2005 is offline   Send a private message to Mike2005 Find more posts by Mike2005 Add Mike2005 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 73
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 5

Originally Posted by Mike2005 View Post
No, they were done at the same time the transmission was replaced. But the shop called me before doing the updates to inform me that
1. The warranty company required I get the updates
2. I had to pay for the updates

But I will take your advice and bring it up to the shop. I was wondering if the warranty company may have tuned down my engine
I don't know the specifics or your warranty, but I don't think you should have paid additional money to have the computers updated for the new transmission that was replaced under warranty. I would expect a new transmission to include the required updates as part of the whole replacement package.

What they have done is the equivalent of you buying a car and being charged an additional fee for a key to start that car.

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
1hawaii50 (04-30-2013), BurntOrangeAppeal (04-30-2013), Mike2005 (04-29-2013)
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top