Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:56 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 10955

Reputation Level: 0
Brandon1023 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Does Anyone Know Where This Ground Wire Goes

Ok so the rebuild is finished and the engine is running (rough, but Rome wasnt built in a day ). Basically, my engine takes a good 10 cranks to fire up, then it idles rough. In addition, I have to push the shift lock solenoid if I want to shift, and now one of the relays next to the ECM is making a buzzing sound when the key is in Aux. But what I'm hoping to achieve is finding out where this ground wire goes, because I forgot... It's a 2 prong female plug with a 10mm bolt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ground.jpg (11.1 KB, 26 views)
Brandon1023 is offline   Send a private message to Brandon1023 Find more posts by Brandon1023 Add Brandon1023 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #2

Official Member #: 14007

secanonymous is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Does anyone know where this ground wire goes?

Looks like the EGR temperature sensor.
See this link or look up Nissan P/N # 14730

-sec

Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features.
secanonymous is offline   Send a private message to secanonymous Find more posts by secanonymous Add secanonymous to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Looks like a transmission ground. It goes behind/underneath the battery tray.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
Brandon1023 (10-02-2013)
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2013, 01:47 PM   Thread Starter #4

Originally Posted by secanonymous View Post
Looks like the EGR temperature sensor.
See this link or look up Nissan P/N # 14730

-sec
Thanks, but that wasn't it. This one seems like it'd go near the transmission, but I can't figure this out.

Originally Posted by BurntOrangeAppeal View Post
Looks like a transmission ground. It goes behind/underneath the battery tray.
Yup I feel like you've got this one, but I'm not gonna celebrate too soon. I'll limit my searching to that area.
BurntOrangeAppeal (10-01-2013)
Brandon1023 is offline   Send a private message to Brandon1023 Find more posts by Brandon1023 Add Brandon1023 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2013, 09:36 AM   Thread Starter #5

Sure enough, it clipped on to the metal bracket which bolts on to the tranny for ground purposes. Thanks, Burnt. You solved this mystery. Now... I went to test the ignition and everything comes on except the bell chime, and the instrument panel lights. Could this be caused by a bad terminal, or incorrectly reacttaching the neg to the car frame and transmission? However, the buzzing relay finally stopped. Anyway, I read on another forum that after you remove the tranny, you must sand down the mating surfaces, otherwise, the ground will be weak. Tell me it ain't so, BurntOrangeAppeal . When I tried to start the engine, despite the unlit instrument panel, all I got was a click from the starter/solenoid, and the rest of the lights went off. This was done using a spare positive terminal. I will go to adv auto now to pick up some new ones.

Last edited by Brandon1023; 10-02-2013 at 09:38 AM.
BurntOrangeAppeal (10-02-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Brandon1023 View Post
Sure enough, it clipped on to the metal bracket which bolts on to the tranny for ground purposes. Thanks, Burnt. You solved this mystery. Now... I went to test the ignition and everything comes on except the bell chime, and the instrument panel lights. Could this be caused by a bad terminal, or incorrectly reacttaching the neg to the car frame and transmission? However, the buzzing relay finally stopped. Anyway, I read on another forum that after you remove the tranny, you must sand down the mating surfaces, otherwise, the ground will be weak. Tell me it ain't so, BurntOrangeAppeal . When I tried to start the engine, despite the unlit instrument panel, all I got was a click from the starter/solenoid, and the rest of the lights went off. This was done using a spare positive terminal. I will go to adv auto now to pick up some new ones.
Yes, you should sand down ground points to have a clean metal to metal surface. What you can do to protect that clean metal bond is to use a little bit of dielectric grease. Also while you are at it might as well make or order a grounding kit from a member Hawaii50. Your Max will love it.
As far as the start up issue, it could be 1 or 2 things;
1. Weak battery
2. Battery teminal loose or corroded.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2013, 12:12 PM   Thread Starter #7

That's weird, because the only "starting issue" I had was having to hold the key for a good 5 seconds before the engine would fire. Now it's not doing anything. Anyway, I'd say the terminal was inadequate, since it was all bent and loose, but that's all I had to work with yesterday. I just picked up a gold plated one, and if this doesn't work, I'll go ahead and sand the tranny. I had the battery tested at the auto store, and the test said it's good, so I guess I'll have it narrowed down soon. Thanks for the help so far, BurntOrange, it's very much appreciated.

Last edited by Brandon1023; 10-02-2013 at 12:15 PM.
BurntOrangeAppeal (10-02-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 03:57 PM   Thread Starter #8

Okay, so the battery was tested and they said it was good at the auto store. I bought a gold plated terminal and the engine started up after a few cranks after installing it (the ecm hasnt been reprogramed yet and I hope this has something to do with that).

About the shift lock, I know the sensor in the brake pedal is good, since the brake lights come on. I can't understand why the solenoid isn't getting power.

Last edited by Brandon1023; 10-02-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:58 PM   Thread Starter #9

Accidental double post from my phone >.<

Edit: I checked my fuses, and I realized I wasn't careful, and I replaced the fuse in an empty slot. So this 10A fuse is titled "Electronic Parts" for anyone who else has a similar issue, be it now or in the future. With that being said, the cluster came to life again, however, the buzzing sound is coming back from the ECM area. The glovebox has been removed since one of the steps in removing the engine, so I can clearly see everything, but it's difficult to tell where exactly it's coming from. This may be a clue.. The buzzing stops as soon as I depress the brake pedal, and the gear indicator goes to "P." I really hate electrical problems.

It also seems like, once the engine heats up, the transmission makes a high pitched, whine. I may have added too much ATF, if that might becausing anything like the transmission's oil pump working harder. I'm gonna go ahead and drain/refill it, but I'll point out a little issue I had upon remounting the tranny. I torqued all the bolts to factory spec, and found it impossible to turn the engine over with the breaker bar, realigned the transmission, bolted the tc to the flexplate, then torqued the tranny bolts, and the engine turned over like normal. A little research on forums for other makes of cars showed that it's likely I damaged something in the transmission, but I was able to take the car for a test drive up and down my street with no problems besides having very little power. There's some clicking under the hood going on, (which sounds like it's somewhere around the intake collector) but I guess this post is long enough already, so I'm going to cut it here. Once again, thanks Burnt. I envy the fact that your 6th gen as well as every other one I see on the road is in driving condition, and mine hasn't been since July 2nd when I began this rebuild >.< I'll be sure to do a very indepth timing chain replacement walkthrough with both methods (removing the engine and leaving the engine in the car), since I've seen just about every part of the VQ35, lol.

Last edited by Brandon1023; 10-02-2013 at 09:06 PM.