Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:18 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1081

Reputation Level: 9
08maximase is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default CVT Transmission Question

Hey everyone...just wanted to ask everyone that has the 07-08 cvt trans maxima's a question. I just recently bought this car a month ago, and i was on the highway the other day and wanted to see what the car had. I thought i had floored it but i was able to push the pedal a little more but also almost felt like a click in the gas pedal....not sure how to describe it. The gas pedal does it every time i try it. The main thing is that when i almost floor it the car goes to about 5500-5800...then when i completely floor it the car goes to redline. My question is that i feel like the car picks up faster when i don't completely floor it. It almost feels like it struggles at redline because as soon as i let up a little it feels like it starts to pick up faster. Well call me crazy i don't know. Sorry for the long post. Any CVT guys please chime in...thanks, Tom.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: CVT Transmission Question

I haven't really paid attention to that. I'll have to try it soon and see what I notice.

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2010, 03:53 PM   Thread Starter #3
Official Member

It's weird i don't beat on the car at all..i just want to see some other guys input. I just want to see if it really is faster by not mashing the pedal completely to the floor.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
Official Sweet Action 6.5gen

Official Member #: 117

Reputation Level: 66
Nismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

Honorable Ride  

Visit Nismo4Life07's Facebook Visit Nismo4Life07's PS3 Profile Visit Nismo4Life07's YouTube

thats actually completely normal. no worries. you have to kind of feather the pedal when you are tryin to reach top speed. what i do is punch it completely then after a few seconds i back off to just before that click and keep it there. then after a few seconds if you punch it again it will give you more gas. ya just kinda have to learn the curve of the engine.

but dont worry, everything is completely normal.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

I'll defer to the guys that have done it, I've never tried it.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Normal, from what i read in the FSM when you floor it and it clicks it does a few things like open the VIAS butterfly, shut off the ac compressor, and take it to the red line almost instantly. It feels like its picking up speed faster as you let off the gas and bring the RPM down to about 5800 because it is. Peak horsepower is made at about 5800rpm.

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #7

Nismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

Honorable Ride  

Visit Nismo4Life07's Facebook Visit Nismo4Life07's PS3 Profile Visit Nismo4Life07's YouTube

i didnt know those specifics! thanks!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 09:46 PM   Thread Starter #8
Official Member

Wow you guys are awesome....i am so use to my other forums where they would of bashed me for asking that. Appreciated greatly....just wanted to make sure the belt on the cvt wasn't slipping inside or something. THANKS!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #9

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

Honorable Ride  

no problem dude.. no question is a stupid question. thats why were all here. we are all here to help each other. feel free to PM any of us on here.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:38 PM   #10
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by 08maximase View Post
Wow you guys are awesome....i am so use to my other forums where they would of bashed me for asking that. Appreciated greatly....just wanted to make sure the belt on the cvt wasn't slipping inside or something. THANKS!!!
We all had to start somewhere!
Old 11-19-2010, 11:50 PM   Thread Starter #11
Official Member

Thanks....i am new to the nissan gang....i always had hondas...my last 2 cars were cobalts...GM is junk but they run forever and everything else falls apart...i had the SS. I always bought simple cars to work on so i don't have to go to the dealer for anything. Now that i have the maxima, i am worried how hard it will be to work on shit compared to all the other cars i owned. I have done numerous things like 5 speed swaps and turbo ect. The only thing i worry about is the timing chain tensioners and the clogged pre cats...
Old 11-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #12
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Thanks....i am new to the nissan gang....i always had hondas...my last 2 cars were cobalts...GM is junk but they run forever and everything else falls apart...i had the SS. I always bought simple cars to work on so i don't have to go to the dealer for anything. Now that i have the maxima, i am worried how hard it will be to work on shit compared to all the other cars i owned. I have done numerous things like 5 speed swaps and turbo ect. The only thing i worry about is the timing chain tensioners and the clogged pre cats...
If you have the proper tools, and a manual then you can pretty much fix anything that is known to go wrong with these cars. Pulling off the timing chain cover kind of intimidates me, but when mine needs fixed, I'll end up doing it myself. As far as exhaust work (clogged pre-cats), getting the old stuff off is the problem, once you've removed the rusted stuff, putting on the new stuff is a breeze.

My last car was a 92 Mustang GT. I did all the work on that myself (supercharger/aftercooler/heads/intake/cam)...basically every bolt-on imagineable. This Maxima's engine is a totally different beast, but at the end of the day, it's still an engine!

There are downloadable factory service manuals for our cars floating around. Get yourself a copy saved to your computer, and between that, and the help from members here, you should be pretty safe!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:25 AM   Thread Starter #13
Official Member

Originally Posted by DAlastDON View Post
Normal, from what i read in the FSM when you floor it and it clicks it does a few things like open the VIAS butterfly, shut off the ac compressor, and take it to the red line almost instantly. It feels like its picking up speed faster as you let off the gas and bring the RPM down to about 5800 because it is. Peak horsepower is made at about 5800rpm.

Where can i find that FSM you read?

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
If you have the proper tools, and a manual then you can pretty much fix anything that is known to go wrong with these cars. Pulling off the timing chain cover kind of intimidates me, but when mine needs fixed, I'll end up doing it myself. As far as exhaust work (clogged pre-cats), getting the old stuff off is the problem, once you've removed the rusted stuff, putting on the new stuff is a breeze.

My last car was a 92 Mustang GT. I did all the work on that myself (supercharger/aftercooler/heads/intake/cam)...basically every bolt-on imagineable. This Maxima's engine is a totally different beast, but at the end of the day, it's still an engine!

There are downloadable factory service manuals for our cars floating around. Get yourself a copy saved to your computer, and between that, and the help from members here, you should be pretty safe!
Yeah i hear ya. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #14
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Where can i find that FSM you read?

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

Yeah i hear ya. Thanks for the input.
Ask, and ye shall receive!

http://my6thgen.org/showthread.php?t...light=download

When you get a chance, read through the stickies...some really good info there (that's why it's stickied)!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #15
Official Member

Official Member #: 994

Reputation Level: 10
i8wd40b4u is an unknown quantity at this point

I know its a little hard at first to navigate this site, but once you realize where things are, pretty much there are photo's for some of the harder installing stuff to even well written up information on the process. I think the idea is, "if we have it, we are glad to share it with you" but "if we don't have it, we would appreciate you taking the time, like we did for the other stuff to help others in your same situation out". You will find that this site has an amazing amount of information, and its organized and clean . And to verify your posting topic, I too noticed the same thing, but I have read somewhere before exactly what Nismo4 said.

Sorry to be repetitive but, yes, learn how your engine responds, I have quite some experience though, with stock, but if you try to match it up with what you "feel" is strong, other words, pushing the peddle down strong, but with some resistance so you don't hit that weird point, you will end up losing, because every .1 second counts lol. Learn the advantages of a CVT vs a Manual, either from the dig or 35/45, around 2nd gear and third gear, you will gain a lot of feet over the person. Pretty much, if they are less than 275 engine mani. HP listed, you will win, unless the thing is a gutted TC with a turbo lol. Other words, pick you fight well, 530i 2007 is pretty much the closet match to this car up to like 90-100, because around the 3 digits, our tranny limits us , and they can do 155 limited. Oh btw I am talking about a false reality where racing is fun/legal, never do it , just have to say it.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:57 PM   Thread Starter #16
Official Member

Ask, and ye shall receive!

http://my6thgen.org/showthread.php?t...light=download

When you get a chance, read through the stickies...some really good info there (that's why it's stickied)!
It is asking me for a password?
Old 11-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #17
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

It is asking me for a password?
PM Sent!
Old 11-20-2010, 01:32 PM   Thread Starter #18
Official Member

Thanks ... now its the matter of which file to click?
Old 11-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #19
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Thanks ... now its the matter of which file to click?
Take the time to rename the files, it'll help you sort through them later, way better in the long run...

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #20
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by chemax View Post
Take the time to rename the files, it'll help you sort through them later, way better in the long run...
One of them is an index. Find that one, and you can navigate from there.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:07 AM   #21
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

One of them is an index. Find that one, and you can navigate from there.
Must've missed that. I just browsed through them all and changed the file name. Damn, A DAY LATE!

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Old 11-24-2010, 06:44 AM   #22
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by chemax View Post
Must've missed that. I just browsed through them all and changed the file name. Damn, A DAY LATE!
I don't remember which one it is, but if you find the index, you can hyperlink form the index, and it will take you to the section you want.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:15 AM   Thread Starter #23
Official Member

Well can one of you guys go try it lol. I just really think the transmission is slipping somehow or something...it really chokes up when its at 6500...almost like to much air..i let off and it goes faster but not to its full potential i know it has...my friend has a 2000 maxima auto with the 3.0 and he was keeping up with me because when i floored it he stayed with me and i let off and pulled very little away. This is kind of aggravating and his car is stock and i have the rc2 intake. Sorry i feel dumb but this transmission is getting the best of me.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #24
Premier Member

Official Member #: 84

Reputation Level: 19
Maxifun is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Banner of The Month  

V.I.P Member  

Mine doesn't feel like its slipping, the click in the pedal is there, that's normal. A large jump in the rpms (as you said redline), and the speed comes up fairly quickly afterwards. I've never feathered the pedal as suggested as though, i'll have to keep that in mind the nexttime.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:46 PM   Thread Starter #25
Official Member

its from like 60mph and above.