Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:26 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 5629

Reputation Level: 0
MaximusMeridius is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default CVT Dead

Hello,
Hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. I been searching all over the forums and Google before making a new thread. I didn't start having any issues till I had my dealership change my CVT fluids(around Turkey day ). For The first 2 weeks after, I smelled strong transmissions fluids in park. Then i noticed while in cruise it would seem like what I'd describe as it slipped out of gear for a second and pop back in. I would have brought it straight back to the dealership but my best bud dog got extremely sick and I was more focused on him( he died after xmas). But anyway I finally bring it back to the dealership and of course they cant replicate the problem to troubleshoot it and had no codes but claimed they made sure no air was in the lines. I keep bringing back every few weeks are so as it got worse and worse and still they don't seem to find anything wrong. Finally beginning of this month my car go to the point of barley drivable and i was able to make it to the dealership and drag the damn tech and service adviser out to drive it. They said it could be either the APP or the Throttle body. I should have left it there as I didn't make it home that day and had to tow it. So ive been out of the car the past 2 1/2 weeks and I been trying to figure out what to do before bring it to the dealership( a different one).

So far based on what the tech said and all the searching Ive been doing I replaced the throttle body and did the relearn procedure. There are no codes being thrown. Ive ordered a MAF, and a APP but I think they are not the issue and im leaning towards my CVT going bad. Im at 126k 08 Max mostly hwy and normal driver. Any help would be great, thanks!

VIDEO:
http://s41.photobucket.com/user/pg_w...0f6a8.mp4.html

Last edited by MaximusMeridius; 04-22-2014 at 11:30 PM.
MaximusMeridius is offline   Send a private message to MaximusMeridius Find more posts by MaximusMeridius Add MaximusMeridius to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

Reputation Level: 11
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: CVT dead? Car wont drive( video)

That sux ! The vid doesn t work on my end , Chromium s in use .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2014, 09:29 PM   Thread Starter #3

Default Re: CVT Dead

Well an admin renamed my title of the thread so im assuming my CVT is gone? lol
MaximusMeridius is offline   Send a private message to MaximusMeridius Find more posts by MaximusMeridius Add MaximusMeridius to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2014, 12:36 PM   Thread Starter #4

Well I replaced the MAF and no difference. Im not gonna waste my time changing the APP as I dont think that is the problem. When the car fully warms up it will not rev pas t1500 rpm in P,N or any gear. It pretty much stuck in Limp mode and throwing no codes and I cant get it out. Does nobody have any advice they can sahre?
Old 04-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #5
Reputable Member

How many milleage on car & did you got the cvt s oil changed !
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2014, 10:56 PM   Thread Starter #6

Im at 126k miles. The CVT fluids got changed around 121K
Old 04-25-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
Reputable Member

Was it Nissan s cvt oil poured in !
Old 04-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #8
Reputable Member

If not , it would be real bad to tranny .
Old 04-25-2014, 11:06 AM   Thread Starter #9

I'd have to assume it was being that it was from the dealership. The invoce/reciept just says 33NIZ-CVTFLUSH
Old 04-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
Reputable Member

Lets hope they put in the stuff required , get back at that dealership & tell them your tranny goes bad since they changed the oil & KEEP receipts , it will save you some buts .
Old 04-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #11
Reputable Member

Ask them what was put in there ,

afterward they need to tell you this : Nissan Factory OEM CVT Continuously Variable Transmission Fluid - 999MP-NS200P

It s their NS-2 CVT Tranny oil .
Old 04-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #12

Official Member #: 7977

Reputation Level: 7
Maxellation is an unknown quantity at this point

I read somewhere on here that if you didn't do the CVT oil changes regularly in the first place, then you'd be better off not doing it at all.

Was it first done at 121k for the life of the car?
Maxellation is offline   Send a private message to Maxellation Find more posts by Maxellation Add Maxellation to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #13
Official Member

Official Member #: 14411

Reputation Level: 6
MrEnigma is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maxellation View Post
I read somewhere on here that if you didn't do the CVT oil changes regularly in the first place, then you'd be better off not doing it at all.

Was it first done at 121k for the life of the car?
How often is regularly? I just bought my car at 85k miles, and almost at 94k. Not sure if/when it was done. I need to find the paperwork n see if it shows. id hate to have my CVT bust like that
MrEnigma is offline   Send a private message to MrEnigma Find more posts by MrEnigma Add MrEnigma to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2014, 09:09 AM   Thread Starter #14

The CVT was supposedly changed around 85k but I cant prove that, I bought it at 87k.

Is the APP and Accelerator Linkage the same parts?
Old 04-27-2014, 08:23 PM   Thread Starter #15

Im putting in the new APP as a final draw then it goes to the dealer on tuesday.
Thanks Sprocketster for the lil help
sprocketser (05-12-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 11:02 PM   Thread Starter #16

Forgot to come back and update. The CVT has kicked the bucket. Its been 10 days at the dealership. They are trying to figure out if the warranty will cover it since my issues started after the trans flush at 117K miles and they couldn't find anything wrong with it till after 120k
Old 05-12-2014, 06:52 AM   #17
Reputable Member

Hope everything will be allright mate !
Old 05-13-2014, 12:12 AM   #18

Official Member #: 15215

Deerico313 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MaximusMeridius View Post
The CVT was supposedly changed around 85k but I cant prove that, I bought it at 87k.

I had mine flushed at 60K just because i got a deal on the service while i was in Hawaii.
Deerico313 is offline   Send a private message to Deerico313 Find more posts by Deerico313 Add Deerico313 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2014, 12:13 AM   #19

Official Member #: 15215

Deerico313 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MaximusMeridius View Post

I had mine flushed at 60K just because i got a deal on the service while i was in Hawaii.
Deerico313 is offline   Send a private message to Deerico313 Find more posts by Deerico313 Add Deerico313 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2014, 09:00 PM   Thread Starter #20

Well took forever but my car is finally done. I havent picked it up yet but will on tuesday. cost just under $2,600 for a used trans with 1 yr warranty
Old 05-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #21
Reputable Member

Gee that sux mate !
Old 05-26-2014, 10:02 PM   Thread Starter #22

yea i know... They quoted me $4000 for a new one O_O I would have just sold it if i had too pay that
Old 05-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #23
Reputable Member

wow , these Nissan Trannies are expensive , as other makes also .