Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:55 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 5433

Reputation Level: 0
Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Clutch Pedal Droping After Driving In Warm Weather

So i just took my 05 6mt into the dealership because after driving around for 20-30 min in the city, when the weather is warm, the clutch pedal slowly starts dropping.

Last night it got the the point where i had to ensure i was in 1st when i came to a stop or i wouldnt be able to get it into gear.

If i let it sit for about 15 min it goes back to normal.

I think it is the master cylinder, and told the dealership. They just called and said that they couldnt replicate the problem, (its cooler today).

Should i tell them to replace the master cylinder anyway?
Dave is offline   Send a private message to Dave Find more posts by Dave Add Dave to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 34
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Clutch Pedal Droping After Driving In Warm Weather

Originally Posted by Dave View Post
So i just took my 05 6mt into the dealership because after driving around for 20-30 min in the city, when the weather is warm, the clutch pedal slowly starts dropping.

Last night it got the the point where i had to ensure i was in 1st when i came to a stop or i wouldnt be able to get it into gear.

If i let it sit for about 15 min it goes back to normal.

I think it is the master cylinder, and told the dealership. They just called and said that they couldnt replicate the problem, (its cooler today).

Should i tell them to replace the master cylinder anyway?
Yes its usually the clutch slave cylinder, or old fluid. If you haven't had any recent work done to your clutch then the cylinder seal is seeping as it gets hot, perhaps letting air in. If you did have recent clutch work performed, then there is the possibility that someone opened he system and didn't bleed it out properly. Make sure they drain out all the fluid replace it with new fluid and bleed properly. Sometimes techs get lazy replace slave cylinder and bleed it then just top off fluid instead of making sure all the old brake fluid is out.

Same principle applies To this as it does with your braking system. Brake fluid attracts moisture and moisture lowers the boiling point.

Via Tapatalk 2
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-

Last edited by BurntOrangeAppeal; 06-15-2012 at 01:07 PM.
EddyMaxx (06-15-2012)
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2012, 02:08 PM   Thread Starter #3

the seal is seeping in the slave or master? I know that it is a hydraulic system but i dont really know how it works.
Dave is offline   Send a private message to Dave Find more posts by Dave Add Dave to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2012, 03:20 PM   Thread Starter #4

Well the dealer wasnt able to replicate the problem, and didnt fix anything. No charge, so thats good.

Yesterday i was driving around for about half an hour and sure enough, the pedal started dropping. got to the point where i had zero clutch pedal, it was right on the floor.

Went to go to work this am and it was still on the floor. I had to start it in gear and limp it to the dealer, and of course as i get 3 blocks from the dealer, it starts coming back up. They just called me and cant replicate the issue.

They are going to drive it more this afternoon, and i told them how far to go, based on my experiences.

I will keep documenting this, and hopefully, the fix so that others can hopefully avoid this "enjoyable" experience.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
Premier Member

Official Member #: 2470

Reputation Level: 11
silvermax06 is an unknown quantity at this point

That pisses me off so much when they say that...
silvermax06 is offline   Send a private message to silvermax06 Find more posts by silvermax06 Add silvermax06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
Premier Member

Official Member #: 2470

Reputation Level: 11
silvermax06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont feel bad i have a giant cricket in my clutch pedal....
silvermax06 is offline   Send a private message to silvermax06 Find more posts by silvermax06 Add silvermax06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2012, 04:45 PM   Thread Starter #7

I'd kill for a working clutch with a cricket.

Dealer called again and yet again, cant replicate. I told them to replace the slave cylinder. $150, and if it is still acting up i will get a mechanic buddy to do the master.

At this point im not concerned about the $$, i just want to drive my car. (only had it for 3 months)
Old 06-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

you may need to have them gravity bled the system , it could have air in the system if they can not find any leaks on the slave
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2012, 09:54 AM   Thread Starter #9

thanks niz, i have them changing the slave today, and told them to put DOT 4 or 5.1 in when they do their bleed.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:26 PM   Thread Starter #10

I picked the car up from the dealership and have been driving it around for a few days.

Seems to have been fixed. It has been hot here lately and the pedal has stayed where it should.

So to sum it up: 3 trips to the dealership, 2 hrs of diagnosis, $200 in parts and labor = fixed car.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 34
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I picked the car up from the dealership and have been driving it around for a few days.

Seems to have been fixed. It has been hot here lately and the pedal has stayed where it should.

So to sum it up: 3 trips to the dealership, 2 hrs of diagnosis, $200 in parts and labor = fixed car.
Glad you got her fixed up Dave
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #12

Official Member #: 4633

7speed is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear you got it worked out. That happened to me a few months ago but I thought I was maybe riding the clutch to much in heavy traffic for an hour. But then the other day after driving with everything being fine and then idling for a while (waiting for gf in the store). When I started to drive home clutch felt softer and lower. I knew something must be up besides riding clutch like in the first scenario.

I may have to try the bleeding of the system first, if that fails then do what you did by replacing slave cylinder.

I know the previous owner had put in HLSD w/ replaced tranny so hopefully it just needs to be bled.

7speed is offline   Send a private message to 7speed Find more posts by 7speed Add 7speed to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top

Tags
clutch pedal dropped

Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning