Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:50 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 7073

Reputation Level: 0
zo99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Clicking Sound

I really don't know how this works but i have a question and im hoping someone can help me. my 04 maxima is making a clicking sound every time i start my car and it seems to go away as my car warms up, and if i turn it off and back on it starts clicking/knocking again. i was told it might be my timing belt or chain any ideas on what i should do or look for? and is it worth fixing?
Latinmaxima (01-31-2013)
zo99 is offline   Send a private message to zo99 Find more posts by zo99 Add zo99 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2013, 04:05 AM   #2

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default Re: Clicking Sound

Welcome to the my6thgen.org family!

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
Executive Member

Official Member #: 1924

Reputation Level: 24
Latinmaxima is on a distinguished road

Visit Latinmaxima's Facebook Visit Latinmaxima's PS3 Profile Visit Latinmaxima's YouTube Visit Latinmaxima's Xbox Gamercard
Default re: Clicking Sound

Bienvenido. It is almost surely the timing chain. The guides wear out being made of plastic and need replacing. There is a write up here on the forum or you can take it to a mechanic. It is certainly a costly but needed maintenance.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:20 PM   Thread Starter #4

Originally Posted by Latinmaxima View Post
Bienvenido. It is almost surely the timing chain. The guides wear out being made of plastic and need replacing. There is a write up here on the forum or you can take it to a mechanic. It is certainly a costly but needed maintenance.
Hey Latinmaxima i bought my car used like 2years ago and its been doing it ever since its like over $2,000 to fix it i just don't know if its worth investing that much money on a car i bought for $10,000. what do you think?
zo99 is offline   Send a private message to zo99 Find more posts by zo99 Add zo99 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2013, 12:38 AM   #5
Glendales Official 6th Gen

Official Member #: 2651

Reputation Level: 36
Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 10

Visit Kenny's PS3 Profile Visit Kenny's Xbox Gamercard

Originally Posted by zo99 View Post
Hey Latinmaxima i bought my car used like 2years ago and its been doing it ever since its like over $2,000 to fix it i just don't know if its worth investing that much money on a car i bought for $10,000. what do you think?
Really depends on how long you plan on keeping it, just like modding your car, if you plan on keeping it long term go nuts, every car is going to have things that need fixing some cheap and some expensive, just really depends on what you want

Follow Me On Instagram/Twitter:@0mg350z
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
Executive Member

Official Member #: 1924

Reputation Level: 24
Latinmaxima is on a distinguished road

Visit Latinmaxima's Facebook Visit Latinmaxima's PS3 Profile Visit Latinmaxima's YouTube Visit Latinmaxima's Xbox Gamercard

Here is how I look at it. If you going to keep it five years or more. Spend the money. The car if maintained will do at least that or more when taken care of. If your making payments and are concerned with the costs, consider what happens if you trade it in and get something else. Chances are you may be upside down on the loan or go upside down on the next vehicle from the start. If its paid off then why jump into another payment. I would personally fix it. There are only two real problems with these car and thats the timing guides and valve body/solenoids. They can be costly but leave you with a great car for quite some time. The choice is yours though. I am sure those guides if making noise for two years though are reaching a point where you need to decide sooner rather than later.
BurntOrangeAppeal (02-01-2013)
Latinmaxima is offline   Send a private message to Latinmaxima Find more posts by Latinmaxima Add Latinmaxima to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2013, 01:59 PM   Thread Starter #7

Originally Posted by Latinmaxima View Post
Here is how I look at it. If you going to keep it five years or more. Spend the money. The car if maintained will do at least that or more when taken care of. If your making payments and are concerned with the costs, consider what happens if you trade it in and get something else. Chances are you may be upside down on the loan or go upside down on the next vehicle from the start. If its paid off then why jump into another payment. I would personally fix it. There are only two real problems with these car and thats the timing guides and valve body/solenoids. They can be costly but leave you with a great car for quite some time. The choice is yours though. I am sure those guides if making noise for two years though are reaching a point where you need to decide sooner rather than later.
yea i know thanks for your advice
Old 02-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #8

Official Member #: 5202

Reputation Level: 8
Safiloo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im still paying my car and already done, New shocks, alternator, right axle, end links, sway bar bushings, rack and pinion and now bought the parts for the timing chain issue. My advise, keep the car, every car have problems, once you take care of that your gonna have a great, powerful car. Other advise, buy the parts from time to time and the pain will be less.
Latinmaxima (02-03-2013)
Safiloo1 is offline   Send a private message to Safiloo1 Find more posts by Safiloo1 Add Safiloo1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top