Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:11 PM   Thread Starter #1
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1765

Reputation Level: 58
officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Changing Power Steering Pump

According to this thread Symptoms of a Bad Power Steering Pump I probably need a new power steering pump. But I can't find any info on changing it out. I need help! @BurntOrangeAppeal @NiZMo1o1
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Reputation Level: 20
Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Default Re: Changing Power Steering Pump

Get a copy of the FSM for your car. It'll have step by step instructions

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

its not hard to replace , once you have the belt off , you need to get the banjo fittings off, and make sure to catch the washers , it was PITA to do on jack stands because when your laying on your back , hardly any leverage iirc , I change the high pressure line , which was a PITA, you don't really need to take the wheels off but you may if you want more room and not second guess yourself if you think you need more room and you have big hands , ( I had mines off ) , some say you need to take the tie rod off but you can move it around down , you will need to bled the system when its done as well.

you will need 12mm 14mm , 19mm and 24mm box end wrench

the 24mm is need for the pressure line banjo fitting nut which can be pretty mess up way to get to
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 11:50 PM   Thread Starter #4
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post
its not hard to replace , once you have the belt off , you need to get the banjo fittings off, and make sure to catch the washers , it was PITA to do on jack stands because when your laying on your back , hardly any leverage iirc , I change the high pressure line , which was a PITA, you don't really need to take the wheels off but you may if you want more room and not second guess yourself if you think you need more room and you have big hands , ( I had mines off ) , some say you need to take the tie rod off but you can move it around down , you will need to bled the system when its done as well.

you will need 12mm 14mm , 19mm and 24mm box end wrench

the 24mm is need for the pressure line banjo fitting nut which can be pretty mess up way to get to
That doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Any idea on how many hours if a shop did it?
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
Premier Member

Official Member #: 300

Reputation Level: 22
PetitFrereMaxima will become famous soon enoughPetitFrereMaxima will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

My Awards:

Wow, this amazing how things pop up in this forum.

After my service at the dealership today, my car is squealing at startup. So, indicating possible power steering problem? I think the dealership did something to my car, as they told me to replace the fluid and I declined the service.

I too have to look into this tomorrow when I wake up to check my car in the morning.

My BUILD/MAINTENANCE thread. Aiming for 250K on odometer.
http://my6thgen.org/f13/emiles-petitfreremaxima-17985/ ... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
https://www.clubarmada.com/forums/21...ton-tx-63.html... KING OF THE ROAD
PetitFrereMaxima is offline   Send a private message to PetitFrereMaxima Find more posts by PetitFrereMaxima Add PetitFrereMaxima to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
Premier Member

NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by officerfrasher View Post

That doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Any idea on how many hours if a shop did it?

I want to say 2.5 hours if a dealer charges , I could be wrong its been so long since Ive even charged anyone by the hour to do something like this.

BurntOrange may have a better ideal hours ?

BTW I really miss my6thgen and question like these make me miss torquing wrenches or welding something daily... Good Luck James
officerfrasher (03-07-2013), smittybizzle (05-16-2017)
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #7
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima View Post
Wow, this amazing how things pop up in this forum.

After my service at the dealership today, my car is squealing at startup. So, indicating possible power steering problem? I think the dealership did something to my car, as they told me to replace the fluid and I declined the service.

I too have to look into this tomorrow when I wake up to check my car in the morning.
they didnt tighten the belt enough , sometimes they tighten too much that the belt has no slack and can lead to failure belt or worse, I would check the belt for slack first , make sure the belt doesnt have any cracks, it would be a good time to change that if it does.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #8
Premier Member

Official Member #: 300

Reputation Level: 22
PetitFrereMaxima will become famous soon enoughPetitFrereMaxima will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

My Awards:

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post
they didnt tighten the belt enough , sometimes they tighten too much that the belt has no slack and can lead to failure belt or worse, I would check the belt for slack first , make sure the belt doesnt have any cracks, it would be a good time to change that if it does.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I changed the belts at 140,000 miles. My car as of today has 149,810 miles. So, I am hoping it is not a crack. But tomorrow, I might be taking it to the mechanic who installed my new belts to have him do as you say: check belt for slack, make sure no cracks and adjust as required.

I will update if I do this. Thanks again.

My BUILD/MAINTENANCE thread. Aiming for 250K on odometer.
http://my6thgen.org/f13/emiles-petitfreremaxima-17985/ ... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
https://www.clubarmada.com/forums/21...ton-tx-63.html... KING OF THE ROAD
PetitFrereMaxima is offline   Send a private message to PetitFrereMaxima Find more posts by PetitFrereMaxima Add PetitFrereMaxima to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #9

Official Member #: 6274

Reputation Level: 8
O.G.Nat-tral is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit O.G.Nat-tral's PS3 Profile Visit O.G.Nat-tral's Twitter Visit O.G.Nat-tral's YouTube

It might be that time for me as well to change my power steering pump... Sounds like a lite job..

Abused VQ
O.G.Nat-tral is offline   Send a private message to O.G.Nat-tral Find more posts by O.G.Nat-tral Add O.G.Nat-tral to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2013, 12:30 AM   #10
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by O.G.Nat-tral View Post
It might be that time for me as well to change my power steering pump... Sounds like a lite job..
The 24mm banjo bolt on pressure side is a PITA as stated above. Ive fabbed a specific tool just for that job. I will try to post a pic of it sonetime this week.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #11

Official Member #: 6274

Reputation Level: 8
O.G.Nat-tral is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit O.G.Nat-tral's PS3 Profile Visit O.G.Nat-tral's Twitter Visit O.G.Nat-tral's YouTube

Originally Posted by BurntOrangeAppeal View Post
The 24mm banjo bolt on pressure side is a PITA as stated above. Ive fabbed a specific tool just for that job. I will try to post a pic of it sonetime this week.
Plz let me know.. Iffy about driving my car after I've done my research on the Power steering pump.. Ready to get the parts and bang it out.. Just need a little picture help with that pressure line bolt...

Abused VQ
O.G.Nat-tral is offline   Send a private message to O.G.Nat-tral Find more posts by O.G.Nat-tral Add O.G.Nat-tral to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
Burnt Orange

BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by O.G.Nat-tral View Post
Plz let me know.. Iffy about driving my car after I've done my research on the Power steering pump.. Ready to get the parts and bang it out.. Just need a little picture help with that pressure line bolt...
Sorry, been busy and forgot about this, I remembered the moment I had to reach into that the drawer in the tool box
Here is what ive done just for this PITA job. Cut a 24mm wrench of your choice and welded it onto a 3/8 extension handle.(you could do 1/2 I just had a broken 3/8 extension. I use long extensions and this elevates my work over on top of bank 1 cylinder head. Hope this helps you guys out.

-=My Build Tread=-
Chemax (07-23-2013), Latinmaxima (07-23-2013)
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Official Ride  

Hey Dan, would a "crow's foot" wrench do the same thing?
Old 07-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #14
Burnt Orange

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
Hey Dan, would a "crow's foot" wrench do the same thing?
Crow foot does work but I find out they bend unless you spend money on a a older gen snapon or mac etc. Crow foot. As this is a 24 mm its not easy to find.The new chineese orgin stuff is junk and bends. I also have another one like this that has the other wrench side (closed end) I use the open end to crack it loose and do a few turns then switch to the closed end and just take the banjo bolt the rest of the way out. You couldnt do this the other way as the banjo bolt doesnt leave you a lot of side grip for the pressure required to crack it loose due to the line sticking on the side. I hope this makes sense.
-=My Build Tread=-
Old 07-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #15

Official Member #: 10955

Reputation Level: 0
Brandon1023 is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, since I have taken this pump off 3+ times since removing my engine, I'm gonna go ahead and help you out as this is your first time tackling a P/S pump. However, let me warn you: you're gonna be cursing if you're not patient with this kind of stuff. However, since you don't wanna pay Nissan an arm and a leg (no one blames you), let's begin.

The pump is put on in such a dumb way, that you'll have to be working from underneath the car in order to get to the 14mm bolt. There's only one bolt that mounts it to the engine, but it's a real pita to get to. If you have an impact wrench, that's by far your best bet. Especially if you'll be laying on your back (doing this is a breeze with the engine lifted 2 feet out of the car). In addition to the impact wrench, get yourself a nice swivel socket. I know they make impact swivel sockets, but ain't nobody got time fo daat. A chrome socket will work for this.
In my picture, this is my neighbors extension piece, and this is the longest one he had. Since I have my engine out, it wasn't really a problem, but I know for sure that you'll need at least 2 feet of extension to reach the bolt.

Once you have your little set up going, you will want to do everything to find this bolt (the bolt slips through the 2 blue holes in my picture. These are the bolt holes and the pump sits between). In my picture, you don't see a pump, because the engine is sitting on the floor and you MUST remove this pump (or tediously remove the ps fluid) to get the engine free. In your case, you will probably want to go from above the flex pipe that connects the exhaust manifold to the catback system. This is the black and white part where you need to simply do whatever it takes to slip the 14mm socket over the bolt and get it loose.

Once you have it loose, you'll need to loosen the idler pulley on the accessory belt in order to get the power steering belt to come off the harmonic balancer. (The big crank pulley with 2 different diameters of grooves for the 2 belts.
D. This is the bolt that holds on the pump.
E. This is the power steering pump belt tensioner that you need to tighten to the correct amount, get a feel of the other belt before you remove it, to get an idea how much tension is on it. You'll be doing this through the Passenger side wheel well. It's not hard, but it just took me about 4-5 hours on my first time, but hey.. I'm only 18 and already saved the labor of Nissan having to do this. I strongly advise you do it yourself (IF you're confident that you can do it with enough patience, because the worst case scenario is you'll be towing your car to a shop, but that's what AAA is for :p)

Good luck, if you have any questions, or any of this is unclear, feel free to PM me since this pump seems to like me installing/uninstalling it -.-

edit: I just realized you need to change the whole pump. How long of a time frame can you put on this? Do you need the car back immediately?

Last edited by Brandon1023; 07-29-2013 at 09:36 AM.
BurntOrangeAppeal (08-09-2013), silly_buttons13 (05-28-2014), smittybizzle (05-16-2017)
Brandon1023 is offline   Send a private message to Brandon1023 Find more posts by Brandon1023 Add Brandon1023 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top