Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:19 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2748

Reputation Level: 0
05SmokeSE is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
Default Car Starts After You Stop Cranking It

Strange new symptom on my '05.

Engine cranks forever as long as I hold the key over in the START position, but it won't start until AFTER I turn the key back to the ON position, kinda like I'm giving up!

I've heard of this before but can't remember what the problem is.

I replaced the battery a couple of months ago, so I don't think its a battery issue.

That said, today for the first time while driving my battery indicator light lit up for about 5 minutes when I started driving, but the light turned off after driving for a while. Checked the battery terminals and they are clean and tight.

I'm thinking that's a separate problem.

It's this extended cranking and not starting until I stop cranking that I'm trying to figure out.

Thanks for any help.
05SmokeSE is offline   Send a private message to 05SmokeSE Find more posts by 05SmokeSE Add 05SmokeSE to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2014, 01:54 PM   Thread Starter #2

Default Re: Car Starts After You Stop Cranking It

UPDATE:

OK, the battery light problem ended up being a bad alternator.

So, now I have a new battery AND a new alternator.

Still have the same strange starting symptom as before:

Engine cranks forever as long as I hold the key over in the START position, but it won't actually start until AFTER I turn the key back to the ON position, kinda like I'm giving up!

Anybody got any ideas at all?
05SmokeSE is offline   Send a private message to 05SmokeSE Find more posts by 05SmokeSE Add 05SmokeSE to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #3

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

There was a guy on youtube with the same problem. It was crank for a while. It turn out to be one of his camshaft position sensors I believe. Try youtube and see if you find the video. Don't have access from my work comp.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2014, 02:30 PM   Thread Starter #4

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
There was a guy on youtube with the same problem. It was crank for a while. It turn out to be one of his camshaft position sensors I believe. Try youtube and see if you find the video. Don't have access from my work comp.
Thanks. I was thinking it could be a camshaft position sensor.

However, I though if one of those was bad the car would be completely dead, i.e., not even run at all.

Hmmmmm?????
Old 07-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #5

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 05SmokeSE View Post
Thanks. I was thinking it could be a camshaft position sensor.

However, I though if one of those was bad the car would be completely dead, i.e., not even run at all.

Hmmmmm?????
Not really, the car just goes into LIMP MODE where it stops certain functions of the car to allow you get home safe.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2014, 03:22 PM   Thread Starter #6

I just got an answer off another forum that makes sense to me considering that the car runs perfectly after it starts.

It says:

"A car uses the same switch (ignition switch) for the Run and Start circuits. However, there is a different set of contacts for each position of the switch. The ignition switch is failing! It probably has a bad contact in the Start position. When the key is in Start position the ignition circuit is broken because of the bad switch contact, so the starter cranks but no power goes to the ignition circuit to fire the plugs and start the engine. When the key returns to the Run position (separate set of contacts), since the engine is still turning over from cranking it a fraction of a second ago, now the ignition circuit has power through those contacts and the engine starts."

Makes sense to me.

Perhaps a shot of some good contact cleaner into the key slot on the ignition switch is in order!

Last edited by 05SmokeSE; 07-15-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #7

Originally Posted by 05SmokeSE View Post
I just got an answer off another forum that makes sense to me considering that the car runs perfectly after it starts.

It says:

"A car uses the same switch (ignition switch) for the Run and Start circuits. However, there is a different set of contacts for each position of the switch. The ignition switch is failing! It probably has a bad contact in the Start position. When the key is in Start position the ignition circuit is broken because of the bad switch contact, so the starter cranks but no power goes to the ignition circuit to fire the plugs and start the engine. When the key returns to the Run position (separate set of contacts), since the engine is still turning over from cranking it a fraction of a second ago, now the ignition circuit has power through those contacts and the engine starts."

Makes sense to me.

Perhaps a shot of some good contact cleaner into the key slot on the ignition switch is in order!
Thats a good start. Best way to trouble is to start with all these easy do-able things. Let us know what you find.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 07-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #8

Official Member #: 1302

macakin is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IGNITION-SWI...2674af&vxp=mtr
macakin is offline   Send a private message to macakin Find more posts by macakin Add macakin to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top