Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:20 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 943

Reputation Level: 0
moneystyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Car Died And Stealership Says To Replace ECM (Engine Control Module)

I have an 04 Maxima 3.5SE, i've had a few problems with this car. Brakes, speed sensors mostly, but this time its more complicated.

I was driving and I come to a stop at an intersection, light turns green, hit the gas normally, the car goes, but before my car makes it out of the intersection the engine cuts out, the lights are all on (Brake, Battery, Oil, can't remember all of the) radio is still going, headlights are all still on and i have to pull off the road. I park it, and try to start it, the engine is turning but it won't start. I've had my spark plugs changed, the coils all checked, engine oil changed, one of the cam shaft position sensors and the crankshaft position sensor already changed. Took it to the dealership, and they said I need a new battery, and a new Engine Control Module priced at $1200 alone. (I'm in Toronto Canada, so things are more expensive up here) I certainly cannot afford a new ECM.

I'm wondering if anyone has replaced their own ECM, I've reviewed the threads here and it seems easy enough to remove, but the replacement is more of my concern. I've called around a few used parts places and some have it for $240 bucks ish. The part number is 23710-8Y011, but the used parts places one an internal part number which i haven't been able to find online, i think this will be inside my old ECM.

Has anyone else replaced their ECM?

Is there reprogramming involved?

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated. If theres any more info I can provide that can help let me know.
moneystyle is offline   Send a private message to moneystyle Find more posts by moneystyle Add moneystyle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Car died and Stealership says to replace ECM (Engine Control Module)

Originally Posted by moneystyle View Post
I have an 04 Maxima 3.5SE, i've had a few problems with this car. Brakes, speed sensors mostly, but this time its more complicated.

I was driving and I come to a stop at an intersection, light turns green, hit the gas normally, the car goes, but before my car makes it out of the intersection the engine cuts out, the lights are all on (Brake, Battery, Oil, can't remember all of the) radio is still going, headlights are all still on and i have to pull off the road. I park it, and try to start it, the engine is turning but it won't start. I've had my spark plugs changed, the coils all checked, engine oil changed, one of the cam shaft position sensors and the crankshaft position sensor already changed. Took it to the dealership, and they said I need a new battery, and a new Engine Control Module priced at $1200 alone. (I'm in Toronto Canada, so things are more expensive up here) I certainly cannot afford a new ECM.

I'm wondering if anyone has replaced their own ECM, I've reviewed the threads here and it seems easy enough to remove, but the replacement is more of my concern. I've called around a few used parts places and some have it for $240 bucks ish. The part number is 23710-8Y011, but the used parts places one an internal part number which i haven't been able to find online, i think this will be inside my old ECM.

Has anyone else replaced their ECM?

Is there reprogramming involved?

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated. If theres any more info I can provide that can help let me know.
It could be you AC amp....dealer might be taking you for a ride. You can easily replace your ecm yourself. Programing will be involved for NVIS (key transponders/security), so it means a tow to dealer once you replace ecm.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2013, 08:25 PM   Thread Starter #3

Official Member #: 943

Reputation Level: 0
moneystyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Car died and Stealership says to replace ECM (Engine Control Module)

Hey BurntOrangeAppeal,

Do we have a how to thread for the AC Amp, can't seem to locate it?

This is the same piece if a coin falls behind the info screen? I don't think I've ever put coins there, and i don't recall smelling any burning either.
moneystyle is offline   Send a private message to moneystyle Find more posts by moneystyle Add moneystyle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by moneystyle View Post
Hey BurntOrangeAppeal,

Do we have a how to thread for the AC Amp, can't seem to locate it?

This is the same piece if a coin falls behind the info screen? I don't think I've ever put coins there, and i don't recall smelling any burning either.
Yes, AC amp, thats the same thing. They dont always smelled burnt by the way or need coins to malfunction....id follow the FSM and diagnose to see the culprit.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top

Tags
ecm, engine control module

Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning