Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:08 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 5431

Reputation Level: 0
baodalazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Car Cranks, Revs, Then Dies??!!

Recently my 04 maxima wouldn't crank up in the morning. No turn or anything, brought battery to autoparts store and was a bad battery.

Ok, then the next day I crank car up and it cranks, revs, then dies. But, if I give it a little bit of gas it would stay on and drive fine. Does this everytime.

Any help or input would be appreciated.

Car never had the plugs changed or a tuneup. Thinking a tune-up would be sufficient, but I heard bad news about the fuel pump might be going bad.

Thanks in advance!

Email:
baoduong251@gmail.com

or any response on this thread would be great also
baodalazi is offline   Send a private message to baodalazi Find more posts by baodalazi Add baodalazi to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Reputation Level: 20
Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Default Re: Car Cranks, Revs, Then Dies??!!

Any engine check lights?

Cam shaft sensors could be on their way out. Replaced Bank 1 and Bank 2 sensors last week myself because I was starting to have crank issues sometimes, but mine threw a code once.

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

I would suspect crank sensors before the fuel pump...I've not heard of anyone having fuel pump issues on these cars, but I have heard of several people having to replace the crank sensors. Also, I NEVER let me car get below 1/4 tank of gas. If you constantly run your fuel down to empty, it is not good for the fuel pump.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 34
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

This one might be tricky...if your vehicle drives fine after starting and Not bucking/breaking up under WOT, then I would focus fuel delivery or maf...

You need to check your fuel pressure while cranking....to simulate same condition.
If fuel pressure is 0-20 PSI Then replace Fuel pump.
Specification for fuel pressure is 51 PSI

There is a TSB relating to exactly same issue as your problem ( although its during winter /cold condition) however NIssan's solution is to do exactly what you are doing ( pressing accelerator pedal 1/3 way down whole cranking the engine)
Look into TSB NTB95-120A

I would definitely startvwith a tune-up. It can't hurt especially if you haven't done it. Your Max is around 8 years old....
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2012, 01:15 AM   #5

Official Member #: 5523

Reputation Level: 0
IslandTosh is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago, down to the "car runs fine if I tap the gas pedal". Turns out my negative terminal ring wasn't tightly secured. The bolt was tightened as much as possible, but the ring was loose on the post.

My cheap fix was to undo the cable, flatten part of the ring with some pliers, then re-attach. Squeezing the ring helped to get better contact between the ring and the post. It's worth a shot in your case.

Posted Via Tapatalk 2
IslandTosh is offline   Send a private message to IslandTosh Find more posts by IslandTosh Add IslandTosh to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top