Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:23 AM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2823

Reputation Level: 9
DDub is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Blinking SES light

Just a quick question, I was on my way to school today, and my car started jerking. It jerks when I accelerate somtimes (it is a 6spd) and is worst in 2nd gear. This has been happening for a month or so now. I don't know what it is caused from yet because I haven't got it checked out. Anyway, my point is I was driving to school today and it started jerking as I was accelerating in 2nd, and I looked down and my SES light was blinking. It has been on for a while but it started blinking until I was stopped for about a minute. Does anyone know why the SES light blinks?
DDub is offline   Send a private message to DDub Find more posts by DDub Add DDub to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

Reputation Level: 58
officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Blinking SES light

You need to get the code read ASAP. Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts should read it for you for free and give you a printout of the codes. Get that done and report back to us with the codes.
1hawaii50 (02-04-2012), Chemax (02-03-2012)
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Official Sweet Action 6.5gen

Official Member #: 117

Reputation Level: 66
Nismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

Honorable Ride  

Visit Nismo4Life07's Facebook Visit Nismo4Life07's PS3 Profile Visit Nismo4Life07's YouTube

did you do any maintenance or mods within the past month that youve had the problem??
Old 02-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

The light came on for a reason...you need to find out the reason, not ignore the light...
Old 02-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 34
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Blinking SES light is always a "Cylinder Misfire" and is the only SES light you should not drive with at all, if possible. Get the Max scanned ASAP for which cylinder is misfiring. If you ignore it, you are killing your "cats" as you are dumping raw fuel into a cylinder without ignition. That fuel will ignite late from heat/ and compression killing your catalitic system and washing down your cylinder walls, as the rings do not have the lubrication needed due to the oil being diluted by the gasoline....

Good luck. Let me know if you need additional help.
-Dan
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-

Last edited by BurntOrangeAppeal; 02-04-2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Chemax (02-04-2012), DDub (02-06-2012)
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2012, 09:42 AM   Thread Starter #6
Official Member

It was the only time I've ever seen it blink, and it hasn't done it since. I have no mods at all and haven't done any maintenance besides just taking it in to Nissan for the SES light. I had 2 codes, I forget the codes but 1 was for the oxygen senser (the one up front) and the other was for a blown o-ring in one of the tubes carrying oil behind the timing chain set-up. He said not to get it fixed because it would be 3,300 and it wouldn't harm anything, besides me having an advanced/retarded cam shaft due to oil pressure loss. This was all before the light was blinking though so I have not had it checked since. I figured the blinking SES was in relation to this so I was not extremely concerned, but if it is a completely different problem I will get it checked out ASAP.
DDub is offline   Send a private message to DDub Find more posts by DDub Add DDub to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
Burnt Orange

BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

I would definately get it checked out. As posted above get to autozone or Napa and they should scan it for a free. As far as the last part of your post. Oil pressure loss and camshaft advancement/retard on one of the banks, sounds serious to me...
Nissan Tech's diagnosis raises an eyebrow as well but that is a whole separate issue....Again, get it checked out...
-=My Build Tread=-

Last edited by BurntOrangeAppeal; 02-06-2012 at 10:11 AM.
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2012, 04:43 PM   Thread Starter #8
Official Member

The code that Nissan detected (from before the light blinked) was the bank 2 timing sensor code. He explained it to me in detail on a Maxima that was already up getting serviced. He said that the sensor controlled the advancement/retard on the camshaft and since it was set off by the loss in oil pressure, it would not work. He said that the worst symptom of this would be the rough idle at stops. This is the third diagnosis I have had for the same problem, every tech questions the diagnosis at first, and then confirms it after they check it out. Anyway, my point is, could any of that relate to a cylinder misfire?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
Burnt Orange

Originally Posted by DDub View Post
The code that Nissan detected (from before the light blinked) was the bank 2 timing sensor code. He explained it to me in detail on a Maxima that was already up getting serviced. He said that the sensor controlled the advancement/retard on the camshaft and since it was set off by the loss in oil pressure, it would not work. He said that the worst symptom of this would be the rough idle at stops. This is the third diagnosis I have had for the same problem, every tech questions the diagnosis at first, and then confirms it after they check it out. Anyway, my point is, could any of that relate to a cylinder misfire?
To answer your question, the short answer is "Yes" as your max has IVT solenoids/actuator setup which control intake valve timing. If you valve is opening at a wrong time, then you wouldnt have comlete combustion and therefore the missfire would occur.
The longer pulse width of the solenoid would advance valve angle, and shorter retards it.
FYI: The IVT solenoid pays techs 0.4hrs regular time, or 0.3 Warranty. The actuator pays 6.0 hours Warranty, and 8.4 standard.
Good luck.
Dan
-=My Build Tread=-