Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:56 PM   Thread Starter #1
Senior Moderator

my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

Default Belt Noise 07 SE' With 32k Miles

I am getting a belt hiss whenever I start my car. It is a higher-pitched hiss and is constant with the car running. I crawled under the passenger side, pulled the fend liner, and hit the belts with some belt dressing. As soon as the dressing hit the forward-most belt, the noise stopped. 10 minutes later, it was back again. The belts look fine, but I'm wondering if it's time to replace them? The car is an 07 with 32k miles. The mileage isn't too high, but they are 5 years old. Any thoughts?

I called my local AutoZone...he can hook me up with both belts for $30. The only problem is they don't carry Goodyear belts, only Dayco. He says they have a couple different Dayco belts, and that the more expensive belts are actually pretty good.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
The Local 6.5 Gen

Official Member #: 564

Reputation Level: 27
cgoss will become famous soon enoughcgoss will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Default Re: Belt Noise 07 SE With 32k Miles

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
I am getting a belt hiss whenever I start my car. It is a higher-pitched hiss and is constant with the car running. I crawled under the passenger side, pulled the fend liner, and hit the belts with some belt dressing. As soon as the dressing hit the forward-most belt, the noise stopped. 10 minutes later, it was back again. The belts look fine, but I'm wondering if it's time to replace them? The car is an 07 with 32k miles. The mileage isn't too high, but they are 5 years old. Any thoughts?

I called my local AutoZone...he can hook me up with both belts for $30. The only problem is they don't carry Goodyear belts, only Dayco. He says they have a couple different Dayco belts, and that the more expensive belts are actually pretty good.
Sometimes the pulleys will get glazed. I've seen it happen on older cars with v-belts and just took some fine grit sandpaper over the pulleys and it fixed the squealing. Hopefully with yours, the rubber on the belts is just hardened up and replacing them will fix it. Being five years old I would say that they have hardened up.
I have always used Gates belts in the past. I put belts on a few weeks back and had to buy them from Autozone. I bought the more expensive Dayco belts and they seem to be good quality belts. They were probably the original belts being that the car has 50,000 miles.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:07 PM   Thread Starter #3
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Thanks Chris!
I wasn't sure what belts you went with. My AutoZone has them set aside for me, I'm going to pick them up tomorrow after work.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
The Local 6.5 Gen

Official Member #: 564

Reputation Level: 27
cgoss will become famous soon enoughcgoss will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
Thanks Chris!
I wasn't sure what belts you went with. My AutoZone has them set aside for me, I'm going to pick them up tomorrow after work.
No problem man. Remember that P/S belt is gonna be a bit of a pain. My thread will make it easier for you. How To Replace Alternator & Power Steering Belts
Old 04-26-2011, 08:38 PM   Thread Starter #5
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by cgoss View Post
No problem man. Remember that P/S belt is gonna be a bit of a pain. My thread will make it easier for you. How To Replace Alternator & Power Steering Belts
I've already bookmarked it for use!