Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:36 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 9697

Reputation Level: 7
Sammaxvq35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default 5spd AT Cooler Question

Ok guys. Im starting to get the rought 1-2 shifts on my transmission. So I'm trying the 'Transgo shift kit this weekend. My question is: "If I add a transmission cooler. Would that benefit im the long run? Or should I just leave it as is?
Sammaxvq35 is offline   Send a private message to Sammaxvq35 Find more posts by Sammaxvq35 Add Sammaxvq35 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 7303

Reputation Level: 12
ShawnD will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 5s AT. cooler question.

cooler transmissions are always better, but I don't know the difficulty of hooking up a cooler on the maxima. I bought one for my 97 4runner and never got around to hooking it up but they had a stupid radiator/cooler design that NEEDED to be changed haha
Sammaxvq35 (06-17-2013)
ShawnD is offline   Send a private message to ShawnD Find more posts by ShawnD Add ShawnD to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2013, 04:39 PM   Thread Starter #3
Official Member

Official Member #: 9697

Reputation Level: 7
Sammaxvq35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: 5spd AT Cooler Question

Ooh ok. I was looking to do the b&m one. Hope there's enough space.
Sammaxvq35 is offline   Send a private message to Sammaxvq35 Find more posts by Sammaxvq35 Add Sammaxvq35 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Official Member

Originally Posted by Sammaxvq35 View Post
Ooh ok. I was looking to do the b&m one. Hope there's enough space.
That is the brand I bought, I heard lots of good things about them
ShawnD is offline   Send a private message to ShawnD Find more posts by ShawnD Add ShawnD to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Peoria's Finest Majestic

Official Member #: 4414

Reputation Level: 8
MaxiM1923 is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit MaxiM1923's Xbox Gamercard

The way i see it waaay better there is a thread here about it look for it really good info. But itll be alot better im rebuilding my transmission and valve body with the shift kit because the cooler on the transmission broke internally n leaked all the water into the transmission and it just rusted all my parts and it just made it horrible(previous owner) so now im replacing all and making it better with its own cooler
MaxiM1923 is offline   Send a private message to MaxiM1923 Find more posts by MaxiM1923 Add MaxiM1923 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
Official Member

Originally Posted by MaxiM1923 View Post
The way i see it waaay better there is a thread here about it look for it really good info. But itll be alot better im rebuilding my transmission and valve body with the shift kit because the cooler on the transmission broke internally n leaked all the water into the transmission and it just rusted all my parts and it just made it horrible(previous owner) so now im replacing all and making it better with its own cooler
the generation of 4runner I had did kinda of the same thing, the trans cooler is in the bottom of the radiator. If the plastic wore through the anti freeze and trans fluid mixed creating "strawberry milkshake" and almost instantly killing the trans lol
Old 06-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
Peoria's Finest Majestic

Official Member #: 4414

MaxiM1923 is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit MaxiM1923's Xbox Gamercard

Originally Posted by ShawnD View Post
the generation of 4runner I had did kinda of the same thing, the trans cooler is in the bottom of the radiator. If the plastic wore through the anti freeze and trans fluid mixed creating "strawberry milkshake" and almost instantly killing the trans lol
Lol yup! strawberry milkshake is exact! Yeah when i first got my max i saw the water after i bought it first thing i thought radiotor is broken.. Bought a new one and still same then found the square cooler stuck to the tranny and swapped it for a murano because that sucker was $300 at dealer.. For now its fine but since im re doind the tranny ill just play it safe and better doin an external cooler..
MaxiM1923 is offline   Send a private message to MaxiM1923 Find more posts by MaxiM1923 Add MaxiM1923 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #8

Official Member #: 5416

Dagasm is an unknown quantity at this point

Before I replaced my vb I put a tranny cooler on my '06 5spd auto, as a way to hopefully curb the problem while I got the cash together for the vb. It did make a difference while moving and shifting. Where I used to get a clunk it turned into just a slightly longer pause in shifting then normal, but without the clunk. Of course if I stopped then started moving for awhile like at a light it made no difference since no air is passing through it so the coolant heated up again, would have to add a fan on the cooler to help then. Installation was pretty easy, just drain coolant, unplug two lines, attach the two from the cooler, and mount it. You'll also need to cut out a little plastic for the lines from the cooler to not kink, but no big deal. I followed chernmax's(I think) guide from the other maxima site. There might be the same one floating around this site too.

Here it is: Transmission (Tranny) Coolers

Last edited by Dagasm; 06-25-2013 at 06:27 PM. Reason: added link
Sammaxvq35 (06-23-2013)
Dagasm is offline   Send a private message to Dagasm Find more posts by Dagasm Add Dagasm to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top