Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:36 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 15512

Reputation Level: 0
plandrum is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default 2004 Stalling At Idle

Hello all, obviously I am new here and first off I would like to say thank you to this forum as it was an invaluable tool as I tackled the timing chain/tensioner replacement.

The beginning:
Purchased this car 2 years ago and noticed the timing chain rattle a few months after purchase. Like an idiot, I let this go until this past feb/march and it had gotten significantly worse (told myself I would just pay someone to do it with my tax return). The wifey calls me one day and says it shaking at stops signs (greeaat ). Noticed that it tended to drop down to idle and surge, occasionally stalling. Hook it up to my code reader and it threw a p0300, p0340, and a p1800. after some research, thought i could ignore the p1800 and went and bought both bank 1 and bank 2 cmp's from autozone (i know now that was not the best choice). Didn't resolve the issue. Thought I would take this opportunity and tear the sucker apart and replace chains, tensioners, guides, etc.; also thought maybe it had skipped a tooth, stretched the chain?? I have another vehicle, a garage, and a little spare time so I took my time (yes I know, march was a long time ago).

The middle: took me months as I had some other things come up in life, and lots of cleaning, checking timing (rechecking again and again and again), but I replaced the tensioners, guides, chains, water pump, thermostat, etc. Noticed on the bank 1 IVT solenoid that it seemed to "stick" when moving the plunger that the bank 2 didn't do, so I thought what the hell, maybe that was messing with the timing on bank 1 intake cam, i will replace it. various other soft parts here and there along the way, noticed the wiring harness that connects to the bank 1 cmp and the knock sensor had some cracks in the wires and looming so I pulled it out and addressed those issues as needed. Had to pull the intake to get to the knock sensor connector but luckily I already had the lower intake gaskets in the fel-pro kit I got for the plenum. Stupid that the kit was cheaper than just the plenum gasket.

now: finally got it all back together, fresh oil, nissan oil filter, coolant, plugs, 3 new coils on the bank 1 side (father in law works for smp and can get them really cheap). Primed the oil system before actually allowing it to fire up the first time as I read somewhere (maybe here) to do this to pump up the tensioners. Charged the battery up and it fired right up, dropped down to idle and kept dropping till it stalled. Good news is the rattle is gone! Repeat, stalled again. will run if I give it throttle but if i let off it stalls. Thought maybe I had a bad vacuum leak, sprayed carb cleaner on all the joints, no luck. Checked the codes again, now ive only got the p1800. When this all first started I tried clearing the code after replacing the cmp's, and I did notice it took several minutes of running before it threw them again. This time I either have a completely different issue, or I might not be letting it run long enough to throw the code but it is acting like it did before. So I did some more research and found where everyone says the aftermarket sensors are junk, so I went and bought oem from nissan. Still the same problem.

I'm not sure what I am fighting here and any input is much appreciated! Thought maybe it was my MAF sensors crapping out on me but those are always pricey and I am sick of throwing money at this stupid thing. I hope I have remembered to include everything, but let me know if you guys need more info to help me sort this out. I have tried to be thorough and search for other posts, and have found some and tried everything but replacing the MAF. i know I am just missing something, but I've been dealing with this thing so long it is hard to step back and take a fresh perspective. That's where I need you guys.

Patrick
Benny 04 Max (07-29-2014), sprocketser (07-25-2014)
plandrum is offline   Send a private message to plandrum Find more posts by plandrum Add plandrum to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2014, 10:35 PM   Thread Starter #2

Official Member #: 15512

plandrum is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: 2004 stalling at idle

*****EDIT*********
Found it! Forgot to check the vacuum hose coming off of the back of the intake on the passenger side just behind the power valve . Was spraying carb cleaner on the power valve and when I sprayed from front to back (and obviously oversprayed) I got the engine to idle. So I pulled the hose and it had a large split on the underneath side. Shortened the hose about a half inch and re-clamped it. Thanks anyways guys, and again, I couldn't have done the timing chain job without this site.
Costee (07-24-2014), EddyMaxx (07-29-2014), sprocketser (07-29-2014)
plandrum is offline   Send a private message to plandrum Find more posts by plandrum Add plandrum to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2014, 11:41 PM   #3
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 73
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: 2004 stalling at idle

Nice detailed narrative.

Glad you got the Machine going using your power of reasoning.

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

Reputation Level: 11
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: 2004 Stalling At Idle

Did it good mate !
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #5

Official Member #: 15384

Benny 04 Max is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by plandrum View Post
Hello all, obviously I am new here and first off I would like to say thank you to this forum as it was an invaluable tool as I tackled the timing chain/tensioner replacement.

The beginning:
Purchased this car 2 years ago and noticed the timing chain rattle a few months after purchase. Like an idiot, I let this go until this past feb/march and it had gotten significantly worse (told myself I would just pay someone to do it with my tax return). The wifey calls me one day and says it shaking at stops signs (greeaat ). Noticed that it tended to drop down to idle and surge, occasionally stalling. Hook it up to my code reader and it threw a p0300, p0340, and a p1800. after some research, thought i could ignore the p1800 and went and bought both bank 1 and bank 2 cmp's from autozone (i know now that was not the best choice). Didn't resolve the issue. Thought I would take this opportunity and tear the sucker apart and replace chains, tensioners, guides, etc.; also thought maybe it had skipped a tooth, stretched the chain?? I have another vehicle, a garage, and a little spare time so I took my time (yes I know, march was a long time ago).

The middle: took me months as I had some other things come up in life, and lots of cleaning, checking timing (rechecking again and again and again), but I replaced the tensioners, guides, chains, water pump, thermostat, etc. Noticed on the bank 1 IVT solenoid that it seemed to "stick" when moving the plunger that the bank 2 didn't do, so I thought what the hell, maybe that was messing with the timing on bank 1 intake cam, i will replace it. various other soft parts here and there along the way, noticed the wiring harness that connects to the bank 1 cmp and the knock sensor had some cracks in the wires and looming so I pulled it out and addressed those issues as needed. Had to pull the intake to get to the knock sensor connector but luckily I already had the lower intake gaskets in the fel-pro kit I got for the plenum. Stupid that the kit was cheaper than just the plenum gasket.

now: finally got it all back together, fresh oil, nissan oil filter, coolant, plugs, 3 new coils on the bank 1 side (father in law works for smp and can get them really cheap). Primed the oil system before actually allowing it to fire up the first time as I read somewhere (maybe here) to do this to pump up the tensioners. Charged the battery up and it fired right up, dropped down to idle and kept dropping till it stalled. Good news is the rattle is gone! Repeat, stalled again. will run if I give it throttle but if i let off it stalls. Thought maybe I had a bad vacuum leak, sprayed carb cleaner on all the joints, no luck. Checked the codes again, now ive only got the p1800. When this all first started I tried clearing the code after replacing the cmp's, and I did notice it took several minutes of running before it threw them again. This time I either have a completely different issue, or I might not be letting it run long enough to throw the code but it is acting like it did before. So I did some more research and found where everyone says the aftermarket sensors are junk, so I went and bought oem from nissan. Still the same problem.

I'm not sure what I am fighting here and any input is much appreciated! Thought maybe it was my MAF sensors crapping out on me but those are always pricey and I am sick of throwing money at this stupid thing. I hope I have remembered to include everything, but let me know if you guys need more info to help me sort this out. I have tried to be thorough and search for other posts, and have found some and tried everything but replacing the MAF. i know I am just missing something, but I've been dealing with this thing so long it is hard to step back and take a fresh perspective. That's where I need you guys.

Patrick
Try reseting your ECU by a series of turning your ignition key & pressing your gas pedal. You can YouTube the video. Good luck.
Benny 04 Max is offline   Send a private message to Benny 04 Max Find more posts by Benny 04 Max Add Benny 04 Max to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

Reputation Level: 11
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Or unplug battery overnight , or for half an hour to reset ecu .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2014, 05:04 AM   #7

Official Member #: 6274

Reputation Level: 8
O.G.Nat-tral is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit O.G.Nat-tral's PS3 Profile Visit O.G.Nat-tral's Twitter Visit O.G.Nat-tral's YouTube

Touche'

Abused VQ
O.G.Nat-tral is offline   Send a private message to O.G.Nat-tral Find more posts by O.G.Nat-tral Add O.G.Nat-tral to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top