Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:49 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 4992

Reputation Level: 0
DarthPrater is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default 2004 Max Having Problems Turning Over...Electrical (Computer/Battery?)

Hello all,
today I went out to start my car, and when I turned the key, all of the dash/gauge lights went out and just died. if I tried to turn it again the lights just stayed off. when I removed the key for a few seconds and tried again, the lights were back on, but the same thing happened when I tried to start her. i disconnected the battery for a few seconds, reconnected it, and it started right up. when I got out of the restaurant and back into my car, it did the same damn thing, and this time disconnecting and reconnecting the battery didn't work. would this just be a simple dead battery issue? it wouldn't make sense to me. it started right back up the first time i had issues and disconnected it...

Last edited by 1hawaii50; 05-27-2012 at 12:15 PM.
DarthPrater is offline   Send a private message to DarthPrater Find more posts by DarthPrater Add DarthPrater to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Poetic Max

Official Member #: 2199

Reputation Level: 35
Kontra-vers-E will become famous soon enoughKontra-vers-E will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Visit Kontra-vers-E's Facebook Visit Kontra-vers-E's PS3 Profile
Default Re: 2004 max having problems turning over...electrical (computer/battery?)

When you try to start it does it click and all the lights go out or does it not make a sound at all? And have you tried jumping it to see if that would work? You can take your battery to AutoZone and have them check your battery to see if it's dead or not.

Greatness in the making...
Kontra-vers-E is offline   Send a private message to Kontra-vers-E Find more posts by Kontra-vers-E Add Kontra-vers-E to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 74
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: 2004 max having problems turning over...electrical (computer/battery?)

Alternator?

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2012, 01:21 AM   Thread Starter #4

Official Member #: 4992

DarthPrater is an unknown quantity at this point

well, call me an over-worrier, but I have confirmed that it was the batter . PLEASE, PAMELA, BE NICE NOW! thanks guys!
DarthPrater is offline   Send a private message to DarthPrater Find more posts by DarthPrater Add DarthPrater to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Default Re: 2004 Max Having Problems Turning Over...Electrical (Computer/Battery?)

yeah if its the OEM battery they are known to just lay down , I think I had my car for 3 years on the OE battery and one morning DEAD ! you should put a ohm meter to check it tho for safe measure
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #6

Official Member #: 5393

ernietoth is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
Default Re: 2004 Max Having Problems Turning Over...Electrical (Computer/Battery?)

i am having the same issues and i have a brand new battery what else could it be besides an alternator that doesnt seeem like the problem
ernietoth is offline   Send a private message to ernietoth Find more posts by ernietoth Add ernietoth to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Check the battery terminals too, if there is a lot of corrosion, it'll open the circuit.

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #8

there was alot of corrosion but i beat it all off, still having same issues, im freaking out with what it could be
ernietoth is offline   Send a private message to ernietoth Find more posts by ernietoth Add ernietoth to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #9

Official Member #: 5073

b15son is an unknown quantity at this point

If you had a lot of corrosion on the battery terminals, the. You have have damaged the fusible link. Check the fusible link. Its a fuse that protects the ECM when one accidentally jumps it backwards. Its where the positive battery terminal bolts onto. Remove the plastic cover covering the positive terminal and link and check if the fuse is open (has popped). If it is or there is poor contact, it can cause most electronics in the car not to function and it will cause a no start condition with no crank or no click.
b15son is offline   Send a private message to b15son Find more posts by b15son Add b15son to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #10

i pulled the fuse and its all good, maybe ill pull the termanail apart and clean it better but its been sitting for 3 hours now and it starts just fine but the brake light and battery light come on and off, ive noticed if i go to start it and give it a little gas it starts ok but i shouldnt have to do that its a 2004 not a 1986 chevy truck,
Old 06-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #11
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Originally Posted by ernietoth View Post
i pulled the fuse and its all good, maybe ill pull the termanail apart and clean it better but its been sitting for 3 hours now and it starts just fine but the brake light and battery light come on and off, ive noticed if i go to start it and give it a little gas it starts ok but i shouldnt have to do that its a 2004 not a 1986 chevy truck,
Brake+Battery Light=Alternator Going Soon.

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #12

Official Member #: 5073

b15son is an unknown quantity at this point

If your brake and battery light come on that means your alternator is not working properly. A properly working alternator should produce minimum 13.5V and above while the engine is running. You can check this with a volt meeter. Anything below means the alternator is not charging the battery properly and may cause your battery to get drained. Warning: if you buy aftermarket alternators it may take 2,3, even more before you get one that works right. Especially autozone. After replacing it hook up a volt meeter to the battery while running and make sure that it read 13.5 volts minimum
UNBOUND (03-31-2016)
b15son is offline   Send a private message to b15son Find more posts by b15son Add b15son to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #13

Official Member #: 6164

Spags324 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a problem with my alternator and the batter + brake light came on solid and car died. now a week later my car started shaking an wouldn't accelerate. pulled over and my service engine soon light came on. now towed it to shop and they said computer is bad since it won't turn on. Is this true? Should I rely on this advice? Was something else shorted out?
Spags324 is offline   Send a private message to Spags324 Find more posts by Spags324 Add Spags324 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #14
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 34
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Spags324 View Post
I had a problem with my alternator and the batter + brake light came on solid and car died. now a week later my car started shaking an wouldn't accelerate. pulled over and my service engine soon light came on. now towed it to shop and they said computer is bad since it won't turn on. Is this true? Should I rely on this advice? Was something else shorted out?
First of all, You should start you own tread in the Help/Technical section. Since you are new we will cut you some slack...

Need more info bud.
What was done to the vehicle during that week since you battery and brake light came on?

Those two lights combined are an indicator that the alternator diode/s are gone. Needs alternator replacement.
Since you drove with the light on, the vehicle was operating on battery power alone as the alternator was not charging.

I doubt its your computer...
You need to start by getting a new battery and see if the car will start. Then use a voltometer and check battery voltage while the car is running, with heater on and lights on you should see above 13 volts at the battery terminals. if you don't then get your alternator replaced.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
smittybizzle (09-29-2012)
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #15

Hi, yeah I was not sure how to start a new trend.

I had my alternator replaced in June 2012, and again a few weeks ago. It was an autozone one that went bad so my friend replaced it again at his shop. I drove the car for almost a full week and this problem started up. I was at a red light and car started shaking and when light turned green, it wouldn't go over say 2k rpms. I pull over and the service light soon comes on. I wait for a tow truck on the side. It almost smelt like a little burning electrical. I tow it to the shop and the guy tested it and couldn't communicate with the computer. He tested the other components such as the ABS computer and the transmission computer but the ECU wouldn't turn on. He tested the power going to it and the ground and he said they are fine. So his conclusion is the computer is bad. Could something have caused this to shut computer down, or malfunction? Would an alternator cause this to go bad? Did it produce too much voltage or something? The guy what's about 600$ to put a used one in and for the diagnosis fee and to program the security to match. It's a used part.
Thanks for your advice.
Spags324 is offline   Send a private message to Spags324 Find more posts by Spags324 Add Spags324 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #16
Burnt Orange

BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Hi, yeah I was not sure how to start a new trend.

I had my alternator replaced in June 2012, and again a few weeks ago. It was an autozone one that went bad so my friend replaced it again at his shop. I drove the car for almost a full week and this problem started up. I was at a red light and car started shaking and when light turned green, it wouldn't go over say 2k rpms. I pull over and the service light soon comes on. I wait for a tow truck on the side. It almost smelt like a little burning electrical. I tow it to the shop and the guy tested it and couldn't communicate with the computer. He tested the other components such as the ABS computer and the transmission computer but the ECU wouldn't turn on. He tested the power going to it and the ground and he said they are fine. So his conclusion is the computer is bad. Could something have caused this to shut computer down, or malfunction? Would an alternator cause this to go bad? Did it produce too much voltage or something? The guy what's about 600$ to put a used one in and for the diagnosis fee and to program the security to match. It's a used part.
Thanks for your advice.
Anytime.
Computers USUALLY don't burn down when your alternator is bad, but there could always be a case of it happening on your vehicle, especially considering you experience an electrical/burning smell.

From what the diagnosis was on you Mechanics part sounds correct. If power is going into the computer and computer is not being able to send data though OBD2 port means one of two things, either the computer is dead or perhaps there is a wiring.g issue between the ECM output and the OBD2 data port.

has anyone tried to jump start the car? I mean when the computer is dead it usually will not let you operate the vehicle even under 2000 RPM like yours did. Might be worth a shot....
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #17

Hi thanks for the reply. I had it running while waiting for tow truck, but shut it down and had flashers on for a couPle hours so the battery was shot. My buddy switched the battery when it was towed in and the car cranked but didn't turnover so he said no spark seems to be happening. Then we towed it to a shop across the street to the certified tech.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #18
Burnt Orange

Hi thanks for the reply. I had it running while waiting for tow truck, but shut it down and had flashers on for a couPle hours so the battery was shot. My buddy switched the battery when it was towed in and the car cranked but didn't turnover so he said no spark seems to be happening. Then we towed it to a shop across the street to the certified tech.
That makes sense to me. Since you have a certified tech working on it, I would go with his diagnosis.
-=My Build Tread=-

Last edited by BurntOrangeAppeal; 09-22-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #19

The mechanic put the new ECU in and programmed the keys, now he calls me Friday and says it still doesn't start, so he needs to check the fuel injectors to see if they are pulsing, he has now had it for two weeks.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #20
Burnt Orange

Seems like did not diagnose the issue properly the first time.
-=My Build Tread=-
Old 09-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #21
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 1598

Reputation Level: 21
smittybizzle will become famous soon enough

These cars are great when they work and bad when they don't SMH . When my car did this it was more likey due to the factory battery . Last year I replaced the alternator and all was good until my ground cable terminal cracked other than that she runs like a champ .
UNBOUND (03-31-2016)
smittybizzle is offline   Send a private message to smittybizzle Find more posts by smittybizzle Add smittybizzle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #22
Burnt Orange

Originally Posted by smittybizzle View Post
These cars are great when they work and bad when they don't SMH . When my car did this it was more likey due to the factory battery . Last year I replaced the alternator and all was good until my ground cable terminal cracked other than that she runs like a champ .
These cars heavily rely on good ground for sensory outputs. I just did a grounding kit this weekend and after cutting my OEM ground cable apart I was shocked. Outside appearances can be very deceiving.
-=My Build Tread=-
Old 10-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #23

Come to find out, my maxima had a broken ground wire and fried the ECU and all the coils for the plugs, now the repair bill more than doubled. The coils are about 100$ each.
UNBOUND (03-31-2016)
Old 10-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #24
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

Reputation Level: 58
officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Come to find out, my maxima had a broken ground wire and fried the ECU and all the coils for the plugs, now the repair bill more than doubled. The coils are about 100$ each.
YIKES!
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top