Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:01 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 360

Reputation Level: 9
Bill Grinley is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default 06 No throttle, feels like limp mode?

So with my ABS, TCS, and Slip lights on, I took her to work to troubleshoot the ABS. On the way my Brake, and Battery (symbol) lights came on. Shortly after, if felt like my tranny cut out. I was going up a hill, and the car didn't die, but the throttle did nothing. No matter how much i matted it, the RPM's didnt rise.

I pulled over and both neutral and park throttle allowed me to rev the engine. Throttle working fine. Hmm? When i put it back in drive, I couldn't get past 1000 RPM, and the car idled along in Drive.

Shortly afterward, my lights flickered, accessories went out, dash lights dimmed, and it seemed like the Alternator was dead, so i shut off the car and towed it home. I'm going to pull the Alternator, test it, and likely replace it, but is this related to the tranny? WTH?? Some sort of "limp mode"??

Last edited by Bill Grinley; 01-09-2015 at 06:03 PM. Reason: reworded, hopefully clarified
Bill Grinley is offline   Send a private message to Bill Grinley Find more posts by Bill Grinley Add Bill Grinley to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2015, 10:50 PM   #2

Official Member #: 5416

Reputation Level: 7
Dagasm is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: 06 No throttle, feels like limp mode?

Sounds like your alternator. Even if it tests out ok but you're still getting the battery and brake light on, or flickering, my money's still on the alternator. I went through that exact thing.

2006 SE
5spd Auto
MAnNy07 (01-12-2015)
Dagasm is offline   Send a private message to Dagasm Find more posts by Dagasm Add Dagasm to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2015, 03:04 PM   #3
Official Member

Official Member #: 16004

Reputation Level: 5
MAnNy07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

That definitely is your alternator, if I we're you I would buy a digital multimeter to watch your voltage between your battery and alt. It's really handy. Don't know how long you had your battery, but check that as well.
eljefe7070maxima (01-12-2015)
MAnNy07 is offline   Send a private message to MAnNy07 Find more posts by MAnNy07 Add MAnNy07 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #4

Official Member #: 16175

Reputation Level: 0
MaximaSlammed is an unknown quantity at this point

Alternator as stated, just replaced mine when battery light and brake light was on. Reved in park and neutral .. died after put in drive or reverse not being able to rev as well. As for the vcs.. could be part of it or a sensor/relay/fuse?

Last edited by MaximaSlammed; 02-01-2015 at 09:12 PM. Reason: mistype
MaximaSlammed is offline   Send a private message to MaximaSlammed Find more posts by MaximaSlammed Add MaximaSlammed to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top