Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:13 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 5057

Reputation Level: 0
mising is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default 04 Maxima Runs Great For 10 Min Then Dies

I am troubleshooting a friends 2004 Maxima 5sp auto. He originally brought it to me to look at because it would get stuck in 5th and generally ran like crap. I checked the trouble codes and it had several for p0345 Camshaft Position Sensor. I replaced the spark plugs, the front camshaft sensor, and air filter. I took it for a test drive and it ran great aside from shifting a little hard, so I went to the dealer and picked up some fluid for a swap. I drained out the old and filled with new checked the level and went around the block. I checked the fluid again and it was about a quart high, so I drained a little more out and rechecked. I went for another test drive and after a couple miles it suddenly died and would not start. It will turn over and act like it wants to start but will not catch. I had my code reader with me so I checked and it had a "P1800 Manufacturer contrl transmission" and "P0021 Camshaft Position Actuator A - Bank 2 Timing over advance." I cleared the codes and it still will not start so I called AAA to tow it home. We get it home about an hour after it dies, and I go out to push it down the driveway and just for laughs try to start it and it does! I ran through the gears a few times and left it running, and after about 10 minutes it died again and will not start. I wait about an hour and it will start again and run for 10-15 minutes, then die. Rinse, repeat. I checked the camshaft position sensors according to the shop manual and they were good. I checked the IVT control valve and it cycled when voltage was applied. all the hoses look good. I still need to crawl under and check the crankshaft position sensor. Any ideas on where to go from here?
mising is offline   Send a private message to mising Find more posts by mising Add mising to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
Official Sweet Action 6.5gen

Official Member #: 117

Reputation Level: 66
Nismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Official Ride  

/ Point Value: 10

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Honorable Ride  

Visit Nismo4Life07's Facebook Visit Nismo4Life07's PS3 Profile Visit Nismo4Life07's YouTube
Default Re: 04 Maxima runs great for 10 min then dies

paging @NiZMo1o1 and @Danski6MT

Last edited by Nismo4Life07; 04-19-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Nismo4Life07 is offline   Send a private message to Nismo4Life07 Find more posts by Nismo4Life07 Add Nismo4Life07 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Reputation Level: 20
Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: 04 Maxima Runs Great For 10 Min Then Dies

You should always replace both cam shaft sensors, bank 1 and bank 2. One is closer to the fire wall and one half way up a bit. Both are on the driver side. There's a sticky here that tells you how to replace both. Just search for it with the search feature at the top of the page.

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2012, 02:54 PM   Thread Starter #4

Today when I get home I am going to check the Crankshaft Position Sensor and change the oil and filter. I read somewhere in here that the oil quality can affect the IVT sensor.
On the Camshaft Pos Sensors, the manual says they are good as long as they don't read 0 or infinity when checking ohms between terminals. Front sensor(new) read 1.25 ish, but rear read .72. Is it okay for them to be this different?
mising is offline   Send a private message to mising Find more posts by mising Add mising to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

Reputation Level: 58
officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Welcome! Did you follow me over here?

Paging @NiZMo1o1

Comments

Thanks
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2012, 02:56 PM   Thread Starter #6

Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
You should always replace both cam shaft sensors, bank 1 and bank 2. One is closer to the fire wall and one half way up a bit. Both are on the driver side. There's a sticky here that tells you how to replace both. Just search for it with the search feature at the top of the page.
I have a new rear one on the way, but I tested the old one in the meantime.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:00 PM   Thread Starter #7

Originally Posted by officerfrasher View Post
Welcome! Did you follow me over here?

Paging @NiZMo1o1
Thanks, I guess so, I have posted on a few other forums. Small world. This one seems to be quite a bit more active though!
Old 04-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

Reputation Level: 58
officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Originally Posted by mising View Post
Thanks, I guess so, I have posted on a few other forums. Small world. This one seems to be quite a bit more active though!
Definitely! And solely DEDICATED to the Maxima! Hopefully you'll get it figured out soon.
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Official Sweet Action 6.5gen

Official Member #: 117

Reputation Level: 66
Nismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

Honorable Ride  

Visit Nismo4Life07's Facebook Visit Nismo4Life07's PS3 Profile Visit Nismo4Life07's YouTube

more active and more helpful!

Comments

Thanks
Old 04-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #10
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

wow that's a lot going on here , you need to start back to when you change the CPS (cam position sensor )

I assume you changed both or just one ? there may lies your first troubleshooting.

make sure the *CPS - Crank Position sensor * is clean as well. if its dirty it this would also cause the car to die out.

*sorry for late replies these days , working 6am - 9pm two jobs is no fun *

Comments

Thanks
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2012, 12:04 AM   Thread Starter #11

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post
wow that's a lot going on here , you need to start back to when you change the CPS (cam position sensor )

I assume you changed both or just one ? there may lies your first troubleshooting.

make sure the *CPS - Crank Position sensor * is clean as well. if its dirty it this would also cause the car to die out.

*sorry for late replies these days , working 6am - 9pm two jobs is no fun *
I should be getting the other camshaft sensor this weekend. I was able to pull the crankshaft sensor this afternoon and it tested good, but I ordered a new one anyways. I will keep posting as I perform work on it. Thanks for all the input everyone.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:51 PM   Thread Starter #12

Okay, replaced both camshaft sensors and crankshaft sensor. I removed the intake again to make sure I did not forget any thing when I changed the plugs and everything looks good. But, I am still having the same problem, but the only code it is showing now is P0021 Camshaft Position Actuator A - Bank 2 Timing over advance. It still shuts off after around 10 minutes and I am unable to start it again until the engine cools down. Is there a breaker that controls some parts of the engine management? It seems like something is getting hot, tripping, and not resetting until it cools off. The engine temp never goes past the halfway mark. It is getting spark, the injectors are getting voltage but not sure if fuel is flowing. It seems like the fuel is being shut off. I am going to hunt down some of the breakers and test them. I also need to change the oil and filter, as that was one of the trouble shooting steps in the manual. So off to Auto Zone.

Read more: 04 Maxima Runs Great For 10 Min Then Dies

Last edited by mising; 04-21-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: injectors
Old 04-21-2012, 05:02 PM   Thread Starter #13

Checked all the breakers under the hood by the coolant tank by swapping them one at a time with a known good one and it still would not start. Just got back from Auto Zone engine was completely cooled off, and changed the oil, and it started. Now to see how long until it dies again...
Old 04-21-2012, 05:17 PM   Thread Starter #14

Well, about 8 minutes and it turned off again. Showing the P0021 code pending. I am thinking it most likely is something temp related, because it will not start until the engine has completely cooled off.

Sounds Like this when trying to start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rih...e_gdata_player

Last edited by mising; 04-21-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:23 PM   Thread Starter #15

Cooling fans for the radiator never turned on. Could it be shutting down to prevent the engine from overheating? Would that not throw its own code?
I looked through the service manual and searched the forums, but was unable to find a way to test the fan/s.
I tried swapping the relays.
What sensor controls them?
which terminals do I jump with 12v to see if they come on?

Last edited by mising; 04-21-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:08 PM   Thread Starter #16

I performed the Auto Active Test mode, and the fans cycled through each of their speeds (H/M/L). So the fans work, they are just not being switched on it seems.

Checked the Coolant temp sensor and it was within acceptable range.
What temp should the fans turn on?

Last edited by mising; 04-21-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #17
Donating Member

Official Member #: 100

jhbsolo is on a distinguished road

Pm sent

Comments

Thank you, it was a bad sensor!
officerfrasher (04-22-2012)
jhbsolo is offline   Send a private message to jhbsolo Find more posts by jhbsolo Add jhbsolo to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2012, 06:23 PM   Thread Starter #18

Thanks to a tip from jhbsolo, I replaced the bank 2 camshaft sensor again and all issues are resolved. I had originally purchased a Delphi brand which I had always had luck with previously, but I guess everyone has a bad day once in awhile! Once again thanks for all the help from everyone!!

Last edited by mising; 04-23-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #19
Donating Member

Official Member #: 100

jhbsolo is on a distinguished road

I'm glad it all worked out.
jhbsolo is offline   Send a private message to jhbsolo Find more posts by jhbsolo Add jhbsolo to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #20

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 32
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

DAMN, glad it all worked out

Want 12HP More?- CLICK HERE
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #21
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Reputation Level: 20
Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

I told you to replace the cam shaft sensor from the beginning lol.

Glad you got it figured out

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
NiZMo1o1 (04-27-2012)
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2012, 12:31 AM   Thread Starter #22

Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
I told you to replace the cam shaft sensor from the beginning lol.

Glad you got it figured out
I had replaced it once at that point, I just had to re-replace it because the first one was bad I guess
Old 04-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #23
Premier Member

NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

sorry so what was exactly the cause ?
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #24

Official Member #: 5147

tmak is an unknown quantity at this point

I replaced both cam shaft and now my car won't turn on it sounds like the battery terminals any one know what to do
tmak is offline   Send a private message to tmak Find more posts by tmak Add tmak to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #25
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by tmak View Post
I replaced both cam shaft and now my car won't turn on it sounds like the battery terminals any one know what to do
HUH ? you change CAM SHAFT or sensors ?

and it sounds like the battery terminals ? HUH ?

you mean its clicking ? more info goes a long way to understand / troubleshooting and helping your issues
BurntOrangeAppeal (04-28-2012)