Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Extended Maxima Generation Family
my4thgen.org my5thgen.org my6thgen.org my7thgen.org my8thgen.org myxgen.org
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Performance Showcase > Engine, Transmission, Forced-Induction & Tuning

Engine, Transmission, Forced-Induction & Tuning VQ35 Power and Delivery

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:20 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's Twitter Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube Visit EddyMaxx's Xbox Gamercard
Default The Official RE5F22A Transmission Fix (5spd Auto's Only)

Courtesy of po8pimp from Maxima.org

If you are experiencing shift "shock", "slipping", "banging", or any other abnormal shifting with your Nissan, then you are in luck. There is a shift kit out made by Transgo that eliminates these problems when installed correctly. The part number is SK AW55-50SN. You can purchase this item from your local transmission shop or you can get it through some of the places listed below. It is highly recommended that you have this kit professionally installed and not attempt to install this unless you are extremely mechanically inclined. Improper installation will result in a broken valvebody which can cost up to $1500 to replace. Any questions or information needed on this can be found here on the forum under RE5F22A TRANSMISSION FIX.

Where to purchase:

eBay: http://stores.ebay.com/CT-POWERTRAIN-PRODUCTS

Search for "SK AW55-50", if you don't find it contact seller, they have it. They ship world wide, cost is about $125 shipping included to US. Their customer service is outstanding, with replies to inquiries within about 24 hours. They accept just about every type of payment as well.

Transtar Industries: http://www.transtar1.com -
Part Number: T89165C

Transtar Industries Inc
www.transtarindustries.com
1528 River Oaks Road West
New Orleans, LA 70123-2163
(504) 733-0731

Cost is around $120, not including shipping. Call for shipping quote.

Transgo Distributors: http://www.transgo.com/distributors.php

Getting a hold of one of these places is nearly impossible. If you live near one of them, getting a product from them should be a lot easier.

Sonnax Kit: http://www.sonnax.com/part_summary.php?id=4734&pl=3

I recommend that you get this part through www.transmissionpartsusa.com

With this kit you have to buy the reaming tool separately. Cost of item is $80 for part, around $250 for reamer. Expensive but as a last resort, worth it.

With this kit install you are going to need valve body gaskets. So far we have only been able to find one vendor.

WIT "Whatever It Takes": https://www.wittrans.com/showfilter.aspx?Category=859&Section=153 Product:21320AK

Cost: $30.57 without shipping

If you are looking to get a new valve body, I recommend getting one from these guys at ValvebodyXpress. Here is a link to their products.

http://www.valvebodyxpress.com/products.php?theId=10

If you want to send your valve body in for an upgrade in performance then Level 10 is your place. Here is a post from Chernmax about his valve body experience with Level 10.

Current info:
Rebuild Link: http://www.levelten.com/Level_10_Nis...a210-9000p.htm

Cost for shipping with $700.00 Insurance: $27.00
(I live in MD and Level 10 is in NJ which is pretty close)

Cost for rebuild and shipping back: $620.34
(awesome return packing!!!)
I just got my car back from the shop this morning and it is amazing. This kit makes a world of difference. I used to have a harsh bang from Park to Reverse and the same to Drive. Then while in "D", Drive not Tiptronic, the transmission would delay from 2nd to 3rd followed by a jerk and fast from 3rd to 4th. The Downshifting was also pretty harsh. Now the car shifts like butter. Perfect. I was amazed. Scared as hell at first to have it in "D" because I thought the trans would lock up on me with all the banging, now no issue whatsoever. The kit seemed very basic and the kit came with detailed instructions that were pretty easy to follow. I would have done this myself, however with not enough guys getting the kit installed I was scared of screwing it up so I let the shop do it. I paid $495 for installation because the last shop stripped all my valve cover bolts, otherwise it would have been $375 for labor. +$15 for shop tools.

Here is what I spent total:
Shift Kit - $120
Valve body Gaskets - $30.57
Nissan Matic-K Fluid 14 quarts - $160
Install - $495
Total - $805.57 without shipping cost added for the kit and valve body gaskets. Add about $55 for that. So roughly $860 total. So worth it.

Should cost around 370 in parts and 375 labor for most. So look to spend around 6-700 on this kit. So worth it. Granted I don't think I should have had to do this in the first place, but I can't wait for Nissan to take responsibility for this.

If you do this yourself, you could do this for less than $400. Man I can't express how great this kit is. Make sure you get the best shop around to install this kit. I actually purchased the kit and left it with the shop owner to look over to see if he felt comfortable installing it. He said his guys are allways up for a challenge.
Additional InformationCourtesy of NismoMax80 from Maxima.org

Not saying this is a gen wide problem, but it is coming up. Many of us are thankfully ok so far, but good to know for preventative maintenance. Speaking of which... Use only Nissan Matic-K once you are out of warranty you may decide to use Mobil 1 or Amsoil. I personally love Mobil 1 but will continue to use Matic-K myself.

Anyway whichever of those 3 you choose AT LEAST drain and fill once at 60,000 miles and continue to do so at least every 30,000. Some want to be on the safe side and start at 30,000. Others are even more conservative and do every 15,000 miles. Since you need 4 quarts (possibly more) to drain and fill AND Matic-K cost up to $20 a quart... you decide how often your wallet can afford it and if you feel it's cheaper than a new tranny.
Original Thread: http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ion-fix-8.html
04' Infiniti FX35 - [Stock/Family Vehicle]
02' Nissan Altima - [Sold-1st Car]

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Debbiex0807 (11-10-2010)
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2010, 12:21 AM   Thread Starter #2

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's Twitter Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube Visit EddyMaxx's Xbox Gamercard
Default Re: The Official RE5F22A Transmission Fix (5spd Auto's Only)

Additional Reading From Various Sources:

"My 2005 nissan maxima Shifts Rough. Do I need a transmission?"

Continue Reading Below:
I have a 2005 Nissan Maxima SE that jerks really violently when I'm driving on the streets. Everything seems ok once I get on the highway. But the car will jerk when I'm speeding up and when I'm slowing down. And its not just a little jerk. Its a very powerful jolt that happens when the gears are changing. I have 90,000 miles and the transmission fluid is ok. The check engine light comes on sometimes too. It has a trouble code p0797 - pressure control solenoid valve c stuck on. Does it sound like my entire transmission needs to be replaced?
I've ran into this exact problem not too long ago. The transmission was a 5 speed automatic aisin warner 55-50 also known as a RE5F22A. My customer's vehicle (05 maxima se) had the same symptoms that you described. It would jerk and buck really bad on deceleration and acceleration at low to moderate speeds, but was totally fine on the freeway. After a lot of research and talking to a few other technicians with more experience with this trans, I ended up overhauling the valve body and installing parts from sonnax and transgo(http://www.transgo.com/SK-AW55.pdf). I was told by an industry insider that the common jerking problem with these transmissions happened because the parts are coated with teflon and as the transmission heats up, the pintle inside the pressure control solenoid valves get jammed by the expanding teflon coating, hence the trouble code for a pressure control solenoid valve stuck on. There are 3 of these solenoid valves on the vb. There is still a possibilty of other internal transmission damage, but the repair I did turned out great without having to rebuild the entire transmission. The problem is if you take it to a transmission shop, they want to cover all bases, so you won't return with the same problem, so they may want to rebuild the entire transmission. If you can find a decent trans shop with some experience with these transmissions you might be able to have them repair or replace your valve body at a cost of less than $1,500. A full transmission rebuild will probably run over $3,000. If a shop tells you this is due to bad motor mounts, find another shop. If you don't want to spend any money on repairs you can trade in the maxima, it should have a high enough value. You could trade it in and get something lower maintenance like a Toyota or Honda. Feel free to ask any other questions. And if this car trouble got you down, get yourself a nerdy shirt. They will have you and your friends cracking up. Here is a picture of the finished valve body on my work bench. And just reply if you want to know anything else about it. Good luck with everything. Click the image to open in full size.
From what I understand, the most important fix will be the shift kit from transgo. You can see it here: (http://www.transgo.com/SK-AW55.pdf) I was told that this kit repairs the problem all by itself, but I got a little anal and installed far more new parts into the valve body. I think you can install the transgo kit without even removing the valve body from the transmission. If you don't have a decent amount of experience in car repair, you could order the kit and ask a local transmission shop to install it. If you were in the bay area, you could hire me to do it. The transgo shift kit costed me a little over $100 bucks. The fluid (nissan matic k) costs about $10 a quart. You'll need about 3 of them. You'll need a side pan gasket which shouldn't be too pricey. If I were to guess a shop labor price for the transgo kit installation, I would think no more than $400. So you might spend About $550 for the shift kit with installation, but if you want to get the entire valve body rebuilt, I think $1500 might be the going rate. Is your check engine light on? What are the code(s)?
Thanks for the information TheCarDoc.
I also own 05 Nissan Maxima SE with 106000 miles and it has the same transmission problem as described in this post. Recently my transmission started to stuck in 5th gear and will only reset after I turn off the enginee. My CHECK ENGINE light is not on. Will the shift kit from transgo fix all of my problem or do I need to also have the entire valve body rebuilt?
I have decent experience in repairing car but I have never repair transmission. What is the difficulty level from 1 to 10 as 10 is the hardest for this job and do I need to jack up my car and remove the transmission?
To my knowledge the Transgo shift kit repairs the violent jerking that is common with these transmissions. Even if your check engine light is not on, you should still attempt to read any hidden or pending trouble codes(a bad engine sensor can make your transmission malfunction). If your transmission has the same symptoms as described above, then I would give the transgo shift kit a try. You will have to jack up the car, but there's no need to remove the transmission. Just the side pan(to get access to this pan, lots more will have to unbolted). I would rate the difficulty of installing the transgo shift kit about a 7 or 8. If you are only installing the transgo shift kit, then don't even unbolt the valve body. You can install it without doing that, and besides if you unbolt the valve body, you may have to buy an entire rebuild kit just to get the new valve body gaskets which are not sold separately. You may have a 50/50 chance of a complete repair with only the transgo kit. If it was me, I would do it. If it doesn't clear everything up, then you won't lose too much.
I got the AW55-50 Shift Kit yesterday and there are several parts that need to be replaced. You indicated that VB doesnít need to be taken out to apply this kit; however, replacing the Solenoid Relay Sleeve and the LRC Sleeve are in the Middle Body and Read Body, respectively. How could this be done without taking VB apart? Iím going to work on my car this weekend and I would like to understand everything clearly.
I think you're right. Sorry for the mistake. The little sleeve and valves included in the kit probably will require the valve body to be removed. I had removed it from the very beginning and installed more parts into the valve body, but since the gaskets were damaged during removal, I had to spend almost $200 bucks on a paper & rubber kit just to get the vb gaskets. The best thing you can do is to remove the valve body as carefully as possible so you don't damage the gaskets. There are lots of check valves, check balls and small filters. Be careful when you separate the layers of the vb to avoid all of these small parts from falling out. There will be two rubber seals that are sandwiched between the vb and case(don't lose them). Take note that all of the bolts you see on the valve body should not be removed when taking the vb off the transmission. I think only the larger bolts connect the vb to the case. Don't force anything. Pretend you're a surgeon doing surgery. You should be ok. Let me know if you run into any problems.
Trango kit did not work for me.

I have ordred rebiult vb and that did not work as well, it did make it better and shift different but the problem is still there after it warms up.

This is a HUGE issue with Nissan, and complete replacement is your best bet. All Solenoids tested out fine. Now Iam sending back the orginal vb backto central valve bodies to get that rebiult.I will see if this fixes anything but the one that was sent did not work.

I have read there is a MAJOR design flaw here.. GOD HELP YOUR LUCk if you have a maxima from 04-07. IF ANYTHING THE ONLY GOOD THINGIN THIS CAR IS THE ENGINE.
04 Max. this problem seems to be only the SE model 5 speeds 04-06. I had the same problems with the hard downshift 3 to 2 and others after the trans got hot. Did the transgo shift kit, gaskets, & matic k fluid a couple weeks ago. It solved the problem. Seems the pintle inside the solenoids starts to stick when heated because of wear & possibly dirt that has accumulated. They grind off the caps, clean them out & install the rest of the kit. If you live in South FL, I went to ATF trans in Davie. These guys do a lot of shift kits for performance cars, but had just done a max the week before mine, & said it fixed his problem also.
Cost: Transgo kit #T89165c $80 from transtar
Valve body gasket #89320K $15 from transtar
matic k $10.84 each at nissan $70
Labor $ 300
Total about $500
Nissan knows about the problem, said they would put a new valve body on for $1500. what a joke
Link from Maxima.org: http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ssion-fix.html

Link from Enginegeeks.com: http://www.enginegeeks.com/viewtopic...&CJPID=3196515

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Debbiex0807 (11-10-2010), NiZMo1o1 (09-10-2010)
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2010, 01:47 AM   #3
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 37
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Wow finally a full explantion without all the guessing.

glad some tranny shop did a write up, good luck to those with this issue!

good find Eddy !
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
The Go To Guy

Official Member #: 59

Reputation Level: 22
Mr DoLLa has a spectacular aura aboutMr DoLLa has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

One of my boys is having tranny issues n he brought the kit n a lot of shops r turning him down for installing the kit. They keep telling him that it doesnt necessarily fix the issue. They allegedly did the job n he says it feels better but still has the hard shifts. I was lookin at parts n c that Nissan mad a year2 valvebody which is found on 06 maximas wit the 5AT. Not the same part number, jus one number difference, but will it work on 04-05 cuz the 06 trans usually dont have tranny issues like the 2 previous years.

Last edited by Mr DoLLa; 10-03-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Mr DoLLa is offline   Send a private message to Mr DoLLa Find more posts by Mr DoLLa Add Mr DoLLa to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
Premier Member

NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by Mr DoLLa View Post
One of my boys is having tranny issues n he brought the kit n a lot of shops r turning him down for installing the kit. They keep telling him that it doesnt necessarily fix the issue. They allegedly did the job n he says it feels better but still has the hard shifts. I was lookin at parts n c that Nissan mad a year2 valvebody which is found on 06 maximas wit the 5AT. Not the same part number, jus one number difference, but will it work on 04-05 cuz the 06 trans usually dont have tranny issues like the 2 previous years.
I had found this out as well as Chern and few others, the 06 Tranny had differnt part #s ,

I belive Chern did upgrade to the 06 parts and had his tranny beef up after that.

cant confirm it but I know I was searching for a 06 tranny itself, because ordering the parts from nissan was about the same cost finding a tranny.
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
The Go To Guy

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

So Chern has an 06 valvebody on a 04-05 tranny? No issues?
Old 10-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

^^ I remember he has the parts from a 06 , try contacting him but i do recall
Old 11-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #8

Official Member #: 161

Reputation Level: 0
jusspunjabikid is an unknown quantity at this point

my 05 maxima, bangs hard when i drive after like 15 mins, it also revs all the way upto 5000 rpms sometimes, wat wud i need to get done?
jusspunjabikid is offline   Send a private message to jusspunjabikid Find more posts by jusspunjabikid Add jusspunjabikid to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
The Go To Guy

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Uh oh!! The most common problem is the valve body. Where in NJ r u?
Old 11-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #10

Official Member #: 161

jusspunjabikid is an unknown quantity at this point

my fault for the late reply bro, im in the woodbridge area, any help?
jusspunjabikid is offline   Send a private message to jusspunjabikid Find more posts by jusspunjabikid Add jusspunjabikid to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2011, 04:58 AM   #11

Official Member #: 1564

SATXBOX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jusspunjabikid View Post
my 05 maxima, bangs hard when i drive after like 15 mins, it also revs all the way upto 5000 rpms sometimes, wat wud i need to get done?

Seems to be valve body problems, i had the exact seem issues too, i overhauled my tranny and went with a re-manufactured valve body upgraded with sonnax parts that also comes with the over sized boost valve. When the mechanic was working on the tranny, he didn't find nothing wrong with it inside like seals/gears, so that gave me to clue to do some research and that's when i start finding out the valve body is the main caused and this happened to me after the tranny warm up, wen cold tranny shifts smooth....

Last edited by SATXBOX; 01-13-2011 at 05:01 AM.
6thG/O (07-09-2013), Duke Togo (04-22-2013)
SATXBOX is offline   Send a private message to SATXBOX Find more posts by SATXBOX Add SATXBOX to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #12
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 46
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 5

Originally Posted by SATXBOX View Post
Seems to be valve body problems, i had the exact seem issues too, i overhauled my tranny and went with a re-manufactured valve body upgraded with sonnax parts that also comes with the over sized boost valve. When the mechanic was working on the tranny, he didn't find nothing wrong with it inside like seals/gears, so that gave me to clue to do some research and that's when i start finding out the valve body is the main caused and this happened to me after the tranny warm up, wen cold tranny shifts smooth....
Sorry for off-topic. You in 210?

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Duke Togo (04-22-2013)
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2011, 11:19 AM   Thread Starter #13

That's why I have a tranny cooler.

But that big "jerk" sometimes is caused by a broken tranny mount which most people fail to check.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 01-15-2011, 06:25 AM   Thread Starter #14

Nice. Chernmax didn't leave anything behind.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 01-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #15
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

that was 2 years ago , Last time I spoke to Chris , he still having some slippage, the 5AT is just not strong enough to without more than 300lb TQ
Old 01-16-2011, 01:56 AM   #16
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by Mikernm1990 View Post
I question you, these tranny can make more than 350-450 lb-ft by any upgrade? Thank

Mike
You Question me now :rofl3:? ok Mr Mike , show me a 5AT tranny that will support up to 350-450lb TQ and come back with a legit answers and your famous word* prove me *

you are really pushing the envolope arent you ? your a 20 year old Honda owner that has all the answer for our Maximas.

I wonder if you know who makes the Transmission for our cars ?

you dont even know if your brothers 2008 Maxima has a CVT or 5AT.

Last edited by NiZMo1o1; 01-16-2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:09 AM   #17
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

I belive what happens is the valve bodies get crap stuck where the fluids flows to each solenoids which would cause the jerk.

When I spoke to Jason @ATF , they said the only solution was to make a complete new valve body , since ATF has a in-house billet machine and CAD , they could re-do a brand new valve body which flows better thru those mazes you see.

im sure Level 10 offers the same thing , the issue is this, you buy a Maxima that retailed for 26K.

Nissan doesnt want to admit to their mistakes , and now your out $4,500 to rebuild a transmission that Nissan should have fixed.

Altho the 06 was probally the better year since the internals were changed, you would have thought Nissan would offer this service for 2004 5ATs and add a external cooler.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #18
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

thank for not answer about my question.
If you ask me in a form of a question then I will responded with an answer.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #19

Official Member #: 1564

SATXBOX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post
I belive what happens is the valve bodies get crap stuck where the fluids flows to each solenoids which would cause the jerk.

When I spoke to Jason @ATF , they said the only solution was to make a complete new valve body , since ATF has a in-house billet machine and CAD , they could re-do a brand new valve body which flows better thru those mazes you see.

im sure Level 10 offers the same thing , the issue is this, you buy a Maxima that retailed for 26K.

Nissan doesnt want to admit to their mistakes , and now your out $4,500 to rebuild a transmission that Nissan should have fixed.

Altho the 06 was probally the better year since the internals were changed, you would have thought Nissan would offer this service for 2004 5ATs and add a external cooler.
Hi you are correct, most ppl even at maxima.org and other common places now founded out the best solution if to go with re-manufactured valve body upgraded with different internals instead of stock. I know Nissan is responsible for this issue and that's another reason why I did not buy a new OEM valve body from Nissan, even though some are saying now they corrected the issue.
SATXBOX is offline   Send a private message to SATXBOX Find more posts by SATXBOX Add SATXBOX to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #20

Official Member #: 1447

big_trwsr is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problems with my 05. If it gets bad enough and locks in OD, which is fail safe mode, then it’s past time to get it looked at. If you are already having slippage or banging into gear, then you should look at these options for a rebuild. I spent $4500 to get a remanufactured tranny from Nissan, this included installation. I wish I would have had this information about 2 years ago, because that would have saved me a boat load of cash! The part that really gets me is my Max was under warranty at the time, naturally the dealership tried to say it was a maintenance item and told me I had to flush the fluid, not 6 months later I was forced to pay $$$$ to get the factory rebuild. I did learn that if you push hard enough, you'll get good results. There are a lot of people out there that have had the same problems. Like NiZMo1o1 said, Nissan knew about the problem and have since "resolved" the problem with new internals. Thanks for this information, good to have for the future!

I'll be honest if it werent for me finding the org and you guys that spend time getting us newbies in the know, I would have cut my losses and traded my Max in. I guess you could say I have a new found love for my 6th gen and look forward to the many upgrade I have planned... now if i could just get my hands on a big bag of cash!
big_trwsr is offline   Send a private message to big_trwsr Find more posts by big_trwsr Add big_trwsr to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #21
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by big_trwsr View Post
I had the same problems with my 05. If it gets bad enough and locks in OD, which is fail safe mode, then itís past time to get it looked at. If you are already having slippage or banging into gear, then you should look at these options for a rebuild. I spent $4500 to get a remanufactured tranny from Nissan, this included installation. I wish I would have had this information about 2 years ago, because that would have saved me a boat load of cash! The part that really gets me is my Max was under warranty at the time, naturally the dealership tried to say it was a maintenance item and told me I had to flush the fluid, not 6 months later I was forced to pay $$$$ to get the factory rebuild. I did learn that if you push hard enough, you'll get good results. There are a lot of people out there that have had the same problems. Like NiZMo1o1 said, Nissan knew about the problem and have since "resolved" the problem with new internals. Thanks for this information, good to have for the future!

I'll be honest if it werent for me finding the org and you guys that spend time getting us newbies in the know, I would have cut my losses and traded my Max in. I guess you could say I have a new found love for my 6th gen and look forward to the many upgrade I have planned... now if i could just get my hands on a big bag of cash!
unfortunally , this is the same story over and over...

I would have to say ever since I got my maxima back then , I had the issue .. I even made the threads but it wasnt as common.

Even my best friend is the Head Tech at one of my Local Nissan was trying to figure out what it would be. He was stump because the TSB showed your tranny mount and reflash the TCM.

that was the same run around Nissan TSB sent to every dealership.

As we all know that wasnt the issues, I myself was saying to others owners to check the TCM, which really didnt do a damn thing.

by the time it was said and done and 2 years past we have a FULL gazillion threads about the 04 Trannys.

as much as I wanted to find a fix, I gave up on this tranny and I thought I would at one point get rid of the Maxima.

Seeing how Chernmax beef up his tranny a few times, these tranny just werent made to hold more power if you decide to add more mods to the car.

not only the fact that 04s didnt come with a cooler, Im sure Nissan Corp America knew what was going on all this time, and panic to correct them in 05-06 , if they didnt , 3 years of (04-06) Maximas would be returned to them and a hugh lost.

7 years later we still see these threads going on.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #22
The Go To Guy

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Its only really common among the 04-05. In the 06 Nissan developed a type 2 valvebody to correct the issue. I have a 06 n no tranny problems. I once did have the issue where the TCM failed to communicate with the ECM (CAN Comm) causing the banging from reverse to drive n not being able to get outta 5th gear. Kinda like a bad cam sensor. If u own a 04-05 they have ECM reflashes available thru the dealer.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_sear....php?keywords=[31705]+\(a34&cPath=2668_2669_2732_2743

Look at all of them especially the bottom right which says "YEAR 2" which is in the late model 05s n all 06s. I always wonder since 04-06 5AT is the same trans if the 06 Year 2 valve body is compatable n functions properly on the 04-05 yrs.

Last edited by Mr DoLLa; 01-20-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Mr DoLLa is offline   Send a private message to Mr DoLLa Find more posts by Mr DoLLa Add Mr DoLLa to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2011, 08:33 PM   Thread Starter #23

Any link Exploded View for this tranny?
Click the image to open in full size.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 01-21-2011, 08:39 PM   Thread Starter #24

That's from the Nissan Auto Transmission Service Manual.

Here are what the numbers stand for:

Click the image to open in full size.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 01-21-2011, 08:42 PM   Thread Starter #25

Service Paper

6thgen 2014 Build Thread