Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Performance Showcase > Engine, Transmission, Forced-Induction & Tuning

Engine, Transmission, Forced-Induction & Tuning VQ35 Power and Delivery

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:55 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default Can I Dyno My CVT Transmission? (Answer Inside)

If you want to know how much power your 6.5GEN is making on a dyno... please read below.

In simple terms: Can it ultimately be done? YES

Is it as easy as other cars? NO

The main problem is you can't really get the CVT to stay in a gear ratio of 1:1 or close too it which makes the dyno inaccurate. But we have a member Shayne (iirishsamurarii) who was able to achieve an accurate dyno ready.

Originally Posted by iirishsamauraii
Eddy there is a lil trick though to get numbers that are pretty close, although you are correct that being the CVT has no actual gears its you cant really get the gear ratio. but there is another problem besides that. being that the cvt cars 07-08 are more computerized than mechanical, our ECU has ALOT more controll over our transmission.
it all starts with the ABS what happens is if the car reads the wheels goin out of control even with traction control off the car start to change the "gear" and rpm levels of the CVT, so once you take the ABS fuse out and keep you can get pretty good readings on a dyno
Next Question

Can I tune my 6.5gen on a dyno? Yes, you can.

You just won't know how much power you are really making after the tune because of the gear ratio again. Your Air/Fuel ratio should in the 13's. You can know what your A/F (Air/Fuel) ratio is by installing an AEM UEGO Wideband or equivalent.

When we add new mods (headers, exhaust) we need to adjust our ratio's because those mods might be causing your car too run lean or rich. To run optimal performance, you must tune your RPM points by either adding or subtracting points.

For example, here is a sample thread tune LOL

NO TUNING (Meaning this is how you arrive at the shop)
RPM %
1,000 0
1.600 0
2,000 0
2,600 0
3,000 0
3,400 0
4,000 0
4,600 0
5,000 0
5,400 0
6,000 0

They run your 6thgen on the dyno and analyze the air/fuel ratio's various RPMs. They make some adjustments using the SAFC2 and then they run the car on the dyno again. Its a repeated process until your Air Fuel is approx. 13.

The air/fuel ratio is a very common source of confusion to many people. It is the ratio of air to fuel exiting from the engine and a good measure of engine tune. The air/fuel ratio is commonly represented as a single numeral as in 14.7. This actually represents the number of air particles exiting per single fuel molecule (ie.,14.7:1). The 14.7:1 just mentioned is actually what is called stoichiometric, or the ideal air/fuel ratio at which temperatures are controlled and fuel economy is optimized. The air/fuel ratio affects the heat generated during the combustion phase of the engine cycle. Fuel acts as a cooling agent for the cycle. Having a numerically lower air/fuel ratio (less than stoichiometric) is considered to be a RICH condition (ie., richer in the amount of gas exiting) and will result in lower exhaust gas temperatures (EGTs). Conversely, leaning out the mixture by injecting less gasoline causes the overall exhaust gas temperatures to rise. A change from a lean to a rich mixture can cool the exhaust charge by as much as 400 degrees Fahrenheit. The air/fuel ratio can be monitored by an air/fuel gauge or an exhaust gas temperature gauge. An A/F gauge shows the instantaneous mixture while an EGT gauge shows the actual temperatures in the engine to check its condition.

AFTER TUNING

RPM %
1,000 0
1.600 0
2,000 -3
2,600 -1
3,000 -3
3,400 -2
4,000 -5
4,600 -7
5,000 -9
5,400 -12
6,000 -14
6,600 -15
6,600 -15

That's what your correction factor would be thus increasing your WHP. But you won't actually know the true power because of the gear ratio of the CVT. You are simply using the dyno to make pulls at various RPMs and correcting where you need to +/- Air or Fuel.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2010, 10:03 PM   Thread Starter #2

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Can I Dyno My CVT Transmission? (Answer Inside)

Shayne/Nizmo? Any input?

I put "simply" as a disclaimer in case there was a more complicated way to do. But reality of it is.. most shops don't waste their time with it.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
The Irish 6th Gen!

Official Member #: 61

Reputation Level: 16
iirishsamuraii is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Banner of The Month  

Eddy there is a lil trick though to get numbers that are pretty close, although you are correct that being the CVT has no actual gears its you cant really get the gear ratio. but there is another problem besides that. being that the cvt cars 07-08 are more computerized than mechanical, our ECU has ALOT more controll over our transmission.
it all starts with the ABS what happens is if the car reads the wheels goin out of control even with traction control off the car start to change the "gear" and rpm levels of the CVT, so once you take the ABS fuse out you can get pretty good readings on a dyno
iirishsamuraii is offline   Send a private message to iirishsamuraii Find more posts by iirishsamuraii Add iirishsamuraii to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2010, 10:06 PM   Thread Starter #4

Originally Posted by iirishsamuraii View Post
it all starts with the ABS what happens is if the car reads the wheels goin out of control even with traction control off the car start to change the "gear" and rpm levels of the CVT, so once you take the ABS fuse out and keep you can get pretty good readings on a dyno
Great info man!! Post your CVT dyno from Maxus actually to prove it can be dyno'd using special techniques.

First post updated!! This is why you gotta love my6thgen.org.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 09-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
Official Sweet Action 6.5gen

Official Member #: 117

Reputation Level: 67
Nismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Honorable Ride  

Visit Nismo4Life07's Facebook Visit Nismo4Life07's PS3 Profile Visit Nismo4Life07's YouTube

still just seems like a lot more work that its worth... unless you are dyno tuning... ya know?

kinda sucks
Old 09-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 52
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

This is good info, thanks!

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 59
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

I've been told if you make changes such as air/fuel, that the car's ECU will eventually over-ride the changes and take everything back to stock...anybody have any input on this?
Old 09-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 52
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

There was a member who was so-so active on 6thgenmaxima (madmaximus2007 I believe) who had a sig pic of him on a dyno. Can't remember him talking a lot about it, but I wonder if he got precise or accurate numbers. Have to find a way to contact him...

Have no idea about that Don, wish I knew.

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
The Irish 6th Gen!

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Banner of The Month  

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
I've been told if you make changes such as air/fuel, that the car's ECU will eventually over-ride the changes and take everything back to stock...anybody have any input on this?
you are correct, which is why the same devices that are used to tune it ie: apexi, e-manage etc.. are the same devices that store the changes
iirishsamuraii is offline   Send a private message to iirishsamuraii Find more posts by iirishsamuraii Add iirishsamuraii to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2010, 03:48 PM   Thread Starter #10

The changes are stored in the APEXI SAFC2.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 09-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #11
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by iirishsamuraii View Post
you are correct, which is why the same devices that are used to tune it ie: apexi, e-manage etc.. are the same devices that store the changes

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
The changes are stored in the APEXI SAFC2.
But are the changes made before or after the ECU? If the ECU is getting the "new" settings, will it not eventually try to change them back? If it is made after the ECU, then I'm guessing that the ECU is not seeing the changes/does not know they are there...therefore does not try to change them back?
Old 09-04-2010, 04:17 PM   Thread Starter #12

But are the changes made before or after the ECU? If the ECU is getting the "new" settings, will it not eventually try to change them back? If it is made after the ECU, then I'm guessing that the ECU is not seeing the changes/does not know they are there...therefore does not try to change them back?
I don't know where you heard that from but from experience from my car... the settings are always there as tuned. I know because my AEM Wideband shows my A/F ratio's and the SAFC2 shows the correction factor at each RPM.

The SAFC2 runs in conjunction with the air/fuel meter signal from the ECU and the ECU cannot override that signal.

The main function of the SAFC2 is to communicate the airflow signal. ECU cannot ignore the airflow signal which means it can't avoid the SAFC2 because they are working together.

Hope that helps.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 09-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

I don't know where you heard that from but from experience from my car... the settings are always there as tuned. I know because my AEM Wideband shows my A/F ratio's and the SAFC2 shows the correction factor at each RPM.

The SAFC2 runs in conjunction with the air/fuel meter signal from the ECU and the ECU cannot override that signal.

The main function of the SAFC2 is to communicate the airflow signal. ECU cannot ignore the airflow signal which means it can't avoid the SAFC2 because they are working together.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Eddy...just trying to figure it all out. With my Mustang, it was easy...burn chip, add to ECU, good to go.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:23 PM   Thread Starter #14

Thanks Eddy...just trying to figure it all out. With my Mustang, it was easy...burn chip, add to ECU, good to go.
Yeah everything on these 6thgens is complicated. LOL

I wish it was as easy as the those cars. Burn...Upload...VROOMMMMMM!!!!

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 09-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #15
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 43
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Shayne/Nizmo? Any input?

I put "simply" as a disclaimer in case there was a more complicated way to do. But reality of it is.. most shops don't waste their time with it.
I honestly cant answer this one , I have yet to have any customers with CVTs come to my shop for any work,

Ive only see SFR Turbo Altima on the dyno.
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2010, 10:28 PM   Thread Starter #16

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post
I honestly cant answer this one , I have yet to have any customers with CVTs come to my shop for any work,

Ive only see SFR Turbo Altima on the dyno.
Yeah so far I know of Shayne (iirishsamuraii) that has officially done it here so I went by his outcome.

CVT!!!

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 09-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #17
Queen's Official 6.5 Gen
Donating Member

Official Member #: 40

Reputation Level: 32
I3LAZEN will become famous soon enoughI3LAZEN will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

Honorable Ride  

I still wanna know what shayne's dyno numbers was!?!?! LOL
I3LAZEN is offline   Send a private message to I3LAZEN Find more posts by I3LAZEN Add I3LAZEN to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #18
The Irish 6th Gen!

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Banner of The Month  

I lost the sheet somewhere, but i mean it had some blue lines on it and some red lines and were all wavy and stuff, oh and there were numbers...... and that guys is how you read a dyno sheet
Old 09-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #19
Queen's Official 6.5 Gen
Donating Member

Official Member #: 40

Reputation Level: 32
I3LAZEN will become famous soon enoughI3LAZEN will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

Honorable Ride  

^ lol funnny
I3LAZEN is offline   Send a private message to I3LAZEN Find more posts by I3LAZEN Add I3LAZEN to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2011, 11:13 AM   Thread Starter #20

BUMP!!!!!!!! For good info.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 07-19-2011, 06:57 PM   Thread Starter #21

BUMP!!!

6thgen 2014 Build Thread

Tags
6.5, 6.5gen, cvt, dyno

Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Performance Showcase > Engine, Transmission, Forced-Induction & Tuning